NGD - Eriza Verde Santana

What the...???
EVH Wolfies in a Santana? Cool!
Yeah, it seems like an unusual combination of "name endorsements".
Nice guitar. I REALLY love the original pickups in my Santana II. I can't imagine why anyone would want to replace them. Clear, sweet and nasty if needed---they do it all.
Indeed, I find it odd someone would buy the Santana model and take out the most significant thing (IMHO/AFAIK) that makes it sonically different from other PRSi (look at the available specs for Santana pups - they are "not smooth"). The maple capped hog body and hog neck with IRW fretboard make the rest of the guitar essentially the same as any old CU24, only the 24.5" scale really the difference.

But maybe that's what that owner wanted: a 24.5" scale traditional maple/hog PRS with tremolo but with his/her desired pups.

At any rate (~300 m/s), they sound pretty darned good so I'm gonna keep them in there. I've never swapped out pickups before, so I'm not sure I'm going to start now just to find out the replacements don't sound any better...

You guys missed an easter egg in the photo. Look at the build date 11/11/11. THAT IS AWESOME!

Yeah, it seems like an unusual combination of "name endorsements".

Indeed, I find it odd someone would buy the Santana model and take out the most significant thing (IMHO/AFAIK) that makes it sonically different from other PRSi (look at the available specs for Santana pups - they are "not smooth").
I've had a few Santanas, mostly without the Santana pickups, although I am on my third with the santana bridge pickup and agree it is hot and aggressive, reminds me more of an HFS than anything else.

I've had a few Santanas, mostly without the Santana pickups, although I am on my third with the santana bridge pickup and agree it is hot and aggressive, reminds me more of an HFS than anything else.
Ah, interesting. I have HFS/VB in my CU24.

So I think I'm OK sticking with these EVH Wolfgangs - had a 20 or 30 min goof-off last night with the guitar, pedal board and an amp. (Which reminds me, need to swap in some more dirt options for my pedal board...) Had a blast just running light barely overdriven (Mojo Hand FX DMBL), or a bit more push into a Boss SD-1, or even more with a RAT, all the way to massive muff fuzz with pushed mids (EHX Deluxe BMP), on both clean and lead channel of my Fender HRDX. Next opportunity will be on the other home pedal board through the Archon.

They roll off well too. One day, not anytime soon though, I will do a side by side with some typical other PRSi: Core CU24, P24 mag pups, and my SE ZM perhaps.

So imma gonna keep updatin this thread, for my own historical purposes if nothing else (I recently wanted to look up something about my P24, and it was faster looking at my old NGD thread here than any other method).

I wrote, one post up:

Next opportunity will be on the other home pedal board through the Archon.

Got a chance last night to put it through a number of dirt pedals, including an OCD clone (Joyo Ultimate Drive), into my Archon. Oooh, man! It rocked! The Archon handled the low end put out by the UD, and the Santana was very articulate sounding without being harsh. The other pedals weren't explored really, I was enjoying the UD far too much!

It sounded very nice straight into the Archon on both clean and lead channels. Pushed with a boost pedal was even better!

Back