NGD - Eriza Verde Santana

shinksma

What? I get a title?
(Edit or two: Spellign "Santana" is diifucullt)

I've been hankering for a Santana for a while. When I first got into PRS I liked the classic CU24 shape, and the Santana didn't grab my attention right away. But I got to really appreciate them thanks to this forum (yes, it's all your fault!).

I like the core Santanas with the body inlays, that non-horned headstock shape, the eagle on the headstock, the ohm on the TRC, and I thought I wanted the classic Santana controls way down at the bottom of the body. And although I like burst-wraps, I was looking for something with the faux binding.

I also fantasized about finding one in Eriza Verde, my coleur-du-jour that I was jonesing for. I figured one in Santana yellow was going to be my likely fate.

Then, just over a week ago I saw a post from someone in one of the Santana-related threads that Brian's Guitars had just got in a really nice looking Santana. I figured it would be a nice looking one, but one I wouldn't want for some reason - price out of reach, color not my choice, no body inlays, something.

But it was exactly what i wanted at a very attractive price, except it had the more "traditional" normal control configuration. Funny thing was, I had just done a gig the night before and was using my volume knob a lot, and I had come to the realization I needed to avoid the Santana configuration with everything "so far away".

So I snagged it. But it was Saturday, Brian was going to PRS Mon and Tues, so it wouldn't ship until lat eon Tues. It arrived at my office on Friday (always someone there to sign for it!), but I couldn't grab it until late-Saturday after coming back from the beach. Played it briefly Sat night, but had to head out today to run sound and play a gig at a local outdoor art festival. Bandmates are coming over shortly, so might get to rock it out shortly (or we might just unwind and drink beer and eat pizza).

20170326_175110_1024_zpsqy4qrhgc.jpg

20170326_175125_1024_zpsozite0qn.jpg

20170326_175146_1024_zps3pvfyvmb.jpg

20170326_175312_1024_zpseqnwefb1.jpg

I was told pickups were not stock, and I agree. But Brian was told by previous owner they were Seymour Duncans - those look like DiMarzios to me. They have a good strong signal, so they ain't any kind of low-wind vintage. I'll pull them when I do a string change.

Last edited:
Bangin'!

Is that a bug on the headstock? Pretty sure you can't kill it on the Om TRC. Bad karma.
Hah! Yes, it was a (already dead) spider, must have blown in there when I was outside, since I don't recall seeing prior to the photo shoot. Or maybe it shipped that way! Like the film Arachnophobia!

That's a beauty... that finish always catches my eye and I think it somehow suits a Santana really well! Congrats!!

Spankin'! Love Eriza Verde. Hot color! I totally get the Santana love now! Congrats!

One amusingly frustrating thing about this guitar is/was trying to find a matching strap. I like to get straps of the same color as the guitar - my first PRSi, and Emerald Green CU24, has a lovely matching emerald green strap. But I've not been able to find much that captures that blend of bright yellow and pure green (not a green with a touch of blue like Kelly Green). There is one strap on Amazon that actually has the color fade, but I'm not sure about "faux leather" (sounds like it might not be very flexible) and it seems bulkier than I really want. It will also be a distraction from the guitar, IMHO:

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Leather-Guitar-Electric-Acoustic/dp/B002PX37T6

And there is very little black on the guitar - black is my go-to color if I can't find a suitable match. So I thought maybe a brown or similar. There is a nice "honey" PRS strap that is on sale at the PRS store that might have matched the back well, but it is sold out. Growf.

So I ordered a black one to tide me over anyway. It will be useful as a spare. I'll keep browsing.

Also, my bandmates came over last night for beer and pizza, but I also cranked up the equipment and demonstrated the new guitar for them. They both wanted to try, and they had a blast playing it - neither of them normally play electric guitar, they are acoustic players (plus other instruments).

One amusingly frustrating thing about this guitar is/was trying to find a matching strap. I like to get straps of the same color as the guitar - my first PRSi, and Emerald Green CU24, has a lovely matching emerald green strap. But I've not been able to find much that captures that blend of bright yellow and pure green (not a green with a touch of blue like Kelly Green). There is one strap on Amazon that actually has the color fade, but I'm not sure about "faux leather" (sounds like it might not be very flexible) and it seems bulkier than I really want. It will also be a distraction from the guitar, IMHO:

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Leather-Guitar-Electric-Acoustic/dp/B002PX37T6

And there is very little black on the guitar - black is my go-to color if I can't find a suitable match. So I thought maybe a brown or similar. There is a nice "honey" PRS strap that is on sale at the PRS store that might have matched the back well, but it is sold out. Growf.

So I ordered a black one to tide me over anyway. It will be useful as a spare. I'll keep browsing.

Also, my bandmates came over last night for beer and pizza, but I also cranked up the equipment and demonstrated the new guitar for them. They both wanted to try, and they had a blast playing it - neither of them normally play electric guitar, they are acoustic players (plus other instruments).

One of these? Not exactly what you're after, but would look good with that guitar

https://www.ethoscustombrands.com/collections/guitar-straps/products/vanquisher-wyvern-guitar-strap

https://www.ethoscustombrands.com/collections/guitar-straps/products/autumn-dara-guitar-strap

https://www.ethoscustombrands.com/collections/guitar-straps/products/celtic-nation-guitar-strap

Awesome guitar! Congrats.
Also very nice looking day in your neck of the woods (California somewhere?)
Thanks! Other coast (-ish): Central Florida. We are in a drought (again), so everything is nice and crispy...

Those look awesome, but are a little pricey for my usual strap costs - I like under $20 for something simple, and will go up to $50 for something nicer. Yeah, I'm a cheapskate, but if I had spent $200+ on each of my PRSi for straps so far, I'd not have been able to buy this guitar nor the last!

Still, something to put out there as a Christmas/birthday wish list, perhaps.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the "model" for each of them has the strap on backwards, amirite?

Those look awesome, but are a little pricey for my usual strap costs - I like under $20 for something simple, and will go up to $50 for something nicer. Yeah, I'm a cheapskate, but if I had spent $200+ on each of my PRSi for straps so far, I'd not have been able to buy this guitar nor the last!

Still, something to put out there as a Christmas/birthday wish list, perhaps.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the "model" for each of them has the strap on backwards, amirite?

Straps aren't something I spend a lot on either. Finding a dope lookin' strap is hard, they either seem to be all leather daddy-biker-Ed Hardy-cowboy or teenage skulls an' sh!t.

Gotta be even harder with a green guitar. I adore the color green but matching with it is difficult unless it's "army" green.

Back