NGD...DGT Content.

windsongstudios

Today my 11th PRS arrived, a 2008 DGT Gold Top with Moons. I bought my first DGT back in 2011 and was blown away but this 08 has some serious mojo going on. Other than the difference of the V12 vs the nitro were there any other differences? The pickups seem to spit and bark more and the neck even seems a bit fatter. Maybe someone can weigh in and let me know what changes have been made from 2008 to 2011. Well here are a couple pics of "Threepio".
IMG_1943.jpg
IMG_1944.jpg

Great score! I think there is something special about the early DGTs. Maybe it's the nitro that opens them up a bit...

Nice! But everyone knows it's the 2009 goldtops that were the cream of the crop. :p I haven't played a V12 version, but based on their description of the nitro back then, it makes sense that the V12 would have changed the tone a bit.

Congratulations on one of the first generation DGT's. The finish wasn't exactly nitro. It was a polyurethane base coat with nitro over it.The first ones off of the line were also wired like a vintage Les Paul, so the individual volumes were cross coupled. Very annoying. That was quickly done away with. But, the absolute first to drop were red cherry sunbursts which were tear drop bursts that looked like clown bursts. I got one of those. If it wasn't a guitar that keeps gaining mojo every year, it would have been gone a long time ago.

I don't know much about the neck carves and pick ups after 2008, but I do know that the tuners have been changed. There were some issues with the original white plastic tuning keys being stripped more than usual.

Last edited:
Congratulations on one of the first generation DGT's. The finish wasn't exactly nitro. It was a polyurethane base coat with nitro over it.The first ones off of the line were also wired like a vintage Les Paul, so the individual volumes were cross coupled. Very annoying. That was quickly done away with. But, the absolute first to drop were red cherry sunbursts which were tear drop bursts that looked like clown bursts. I got one of those. If it wasn't a guitar that keeps gaining mojo every year, it would have been gone a long time ago.

I don't know much about the neck carves and pick ups after 2008, but I do know that the tuners have been changed. There were some issues with the original white plastic tuning keys being stripped more than usual.

Thanks for all of that info:) I must admit I am kinda bummed to learn they weren't true nitro finishes I must say.

I always hated the volume pots being coupled on my LPs and was always curious if that's how prs did too.

That's good to know in case I end up with a dgt one day.

Nice guitar muh man!!!

Back