NGD Custom 24 Questions Issues

MWolf

Hey All, newbie here. Just got my first PRS, a custom 24 that I really like. It sounds great, plays fantastic, and love the way it looks. I have a few questions though:

1. Bought at Guitar Center and they said it comes with a gig bag. I was kind of surprised, a $1900 guitar coming with a gig bag. Does anybody know if that is normal.
2. It takes forever to get it in tune every day, 30 minutes minimum. Usually it is the lowest 2 strings (E and A) that have the most problems. I'm assuming this is a set up issue....anyone else have experience with that?

Thanks all in advance

New ones come with a hard shell case. The price you quoted sounds like a used one that might not have a case with it.

Are the strings new, was the guitar on the wall at gc? Maybe try a new set of strings before anything else. Check the gauge of strings on the guitar to see if they are bigger than the original size.

It wasn't in the used section, rather with the new guitars in a separate section on the wall. The GC tag did not say used either. I also just checked and the gave me the wrong tremolo bar...

I'll change the strings and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the replies.

It might be the new CE. It was $1900 and came with a gig bag. If it is a custom it should have the case.

Are you sure that it isn't an S2? Those come with bags.

Unless someone has done a number on the bridge, you shouldn't have an issue with tuning. Contact GC and have it sent back to the factory to be checked out since it's under warranty.

If its a Custom it should have a HSC. Take it back and demand one.
GC around these parts are kind of a snake in the grass on some things. You gotta keep an eye in them.

Call them on it. And you can probably get them to give you some strings if you push it.

If it's new and it was $1,900 then it almost surely does not come with a case. This sounds like an S2.

The tuning should be no issue at all. I'd definitely recommend a string change.

First question,, new or used? Second question, S2, CE, or CU? If it was used, Guitar Center won't even change the strings after they get it in. That official company policy. They are also not allowed to make necessary repairs of any kind if they see something wrong. Next question, what is the gauge of the strings? If it was made for 9's, and was restrung with 10's, it will not stay in tune. Above all, don't monkey with the bridge with the strings tuned to pitch. Only bad things can happen. If you already have and it has a trem, there could be a real problem.

Above all, don't monkey with the bridge with the strings tuned to pitch. Only bad things can happen. If you already have and it has a trem, there could be a real problem.

Why is that? On my basses I'll make small adjustments tuned to pitch then retune it but maybe it's different because of the trem? If I need to adjust the bridge do I tune the string down?

Remove strings and springs before adjusting bridge height on models with a vibrato. All other adjustments can be made with strings and springs installed, and might only have to loosen the strings for saddle adjustments.

@MWolf to upload pics on here, you will need to use a 3rd party hosting site and use the copy link. Looking forward to seeing your NGD.:D

the S2 is around $1500 at GC and the CE is $1900. So if it was new, it was surely a CE 24 which as already stated comes with soft case.

does it have a maple bolt on neck and maple colored head stock? (some are painted but all CE's are bolt on.)

...oh my CE does not take 30 min to tune. it's super easy to tune and stays in tune really well - with the exception of when I take it in and out of the gig bag. (Tuners are super light and i'll knock the D and/or G strings out of tune almost every time.)

Why is that? On my basses I'll make small adjustments tuned to pitch then retune it but maybe it's different because of the trem? If I need to adjust the bridge do I tune the string down?
If you monkey with the bridge at full tension, you can ruin the knife edge of the tremolo holes. The screws can suffer also. The screws can be replaced, the trem is a more expensive proposition. I bought a 2002 CE24 that had been rode hard and put away wet. The previous owner told me he had 500 gigs on it (bragging SOB!). It wouldn't stay in tune. When I pulled it apart,some of the pivot screw holes were oval, not round. Along with the other abuse, he'd ruined the tremolo. John Mann trem to the rescue.

Last edited:
Back