NGD: Custom 24 'Floyd' - It's here now...

Awesome CU24! I'm the proud owner of a '14 one with a way less figured top. Those pickups man! I didn't need hot pickups but they are so versatile. I really think PRS could put those in more guitars if they named them a little more sensibly.

Awesome CU24! I'm the proud owner of a '14 one with a way less figured top. Those pickups man! I didn't need hot pickups but they are so versatile. I really think PRS could put those in more guitars if they named them a little more sensibly.

\m/ does typecast these pickups. I am not someone that generally goes for Hot pickups and these are easily the hottest pups I have - at least the Bridge is anyway. Maybe they should have called them Dragon III's to go with the Gen III trem and Phase III locking tuners and that may also have given them a wider appeal. In fairness though, the other models and the pickups they have are superb and really suit the vibe. It makes sense to put a 'hotter' pickup in the Floyd as a lot of 'Floyd' loaded guitars have hotter pickups - even if the \m/'s are more versatile than their name suggests.

Its relatively easy to boost the output to create the impression of using a hotter pickup - just put a Tubescreamer with the gain turned right down for a clean boost for example but a hot pickup is (usually) always saturated. Its why I tend to stick with pickups under 10k - although output is only one aspect to their characteristics. That being said, I really like these \m/ pickups and pleasantly surprised at how versatile, dynamic and by the clarity they have too.

You are going to both love AND hate the Floyd. It is the way of things. I've never had to adjust the intonation on my Jackson licensed Floyd (on a Charvel Model 6) but it looks like it would be a real pain in the buttocks. Changing strings isn't so bad. It'll go easier if you do them one at a time and tune the new string to pitch as you go. You may also want to put a thinish piece of wood under the bridge to keep it mostly level and the springs tensioned. I find this helps restringing go a little smoother and definitely helps if you need to change out multiple strings at the same time. I only do that if I need to get in to areas for cleaning that are hard to reach with strings installed.

My 594, being a WL, came with regular 58/15's and they are excellent for some things I play (like Mastodon, they are perfect) but very lacking for other things. So it's already sort of a sacreligious guitar :eek:. I was thinking I've have a ritualistic removal ceremony, where we either smash the bridge 58/15 to bits or perhaps combine with a "smash and burn"? I clearly need a fire emoji here. Then, with a bit 'o chanting in tongues, insert the \m/ and commence rockage?!

Or, you could sell them.

Very beautiful guitar :) I own the same one and switched to black pickup rings and black floyd rose...looks now almost like a Dustie Waring CE24 ;)

Back