NGD: Custom 24 'Floyd' - It's here now...

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Mozzi, Jun 30, 2020.

1. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Sweet guitar with an awesome top! Congrats

Mozzi likes this.
  2. MjS

MjS New Member

Awesome CU24! I'm the proud owner of a '14 one with a way less figured top. Those pickups man! I didn't need hot pickups but they are so versatile. I really think PRS could put those in more guitars if they named them a little more sensibly.

bodia and Mozzi like this.
  3. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy/posts

\m/ does typecast these pickups. I am not someone that generally goes for Hot pickups and these are easily the hottest pups I have - at least the Bridge is anyway. Maybe they should have called them Dragon III's to go with the Gen III trem and Phase III locking tuners and that may also have given them a wider appeal. In fairness though, the other models and the pickups they have are superb and really suit the vibe. It makes sense to put a 'hotter' pickup in the Floyd as a lot of 'Floyd' loaded guitars have hotter pickups - even if the \m/'s are more versatile than their name suggests.

Its relatively easy to boost the output to create the impression of using a hotter pickup - just put a Tubescreamer with the gain turned right down for a clean boost for example but a hot pickup is (usually) always saturated. Its why I tend to stick with pickups under 10k - although output is only one aspect to their characteristics. That being said, I really like these \m/ pickups and pleasantly surprised at how versatile, dynamic and by the clarity they have too.

bodia and MjS like this.
  4. GADonis

GADonis New Member

You are going to both love AND hate the Floyd. It is the way of things. I've never had to adjust the intonation on my Jackson licensed Floyd (on a Charvel Model 6) but it looks like it would be a real pain in the buttocks. Changing strings isn't so bad. It'll go easier if you do them one at a time and tune the new string to pitch as you go. You may also want to put a thinish piece of wood under the bridge to keep it mostly level and the springs tensioned. I find this helps restringing go a little smoother and definitely helps if you need to change out multiple strings at the same time. I only do that if I need to get in to areas for cleaning that are hard to reach with strings installed.

bodia, MjS and Mozzi like this.
  5. Tahlee

Tahlee Tollywood Rhode Island

Or, you could sell them.

Warmart likes this.
  6. Warmart

Warmart Fani PRSi

There is that, but would I have to do without the chanting?

Black Plaid likes this.
  7. FlyFree

FlyFree New Member

Very beautiful guitar :) I own the same one and switched to black pickup rings and black floyd rose...looks now almost like a Dustie Waring CE24 ;)

Mozzi likes this.
  8. Black-Viper75

Black-Viper75 New Member

Congrats!!!! That is one scorching hot guitar !!!

Mozzi likes this.