NGD: Custom 24 'Floyd' - It's here now...

Mozzi

https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy/posts
Having recently picked up a PRS 594 Hollowbody ii - something with a 'vintage' vibe, I have now added what can really be described as at the other end of the spectrum - Modern, high(er) output Pickups, 24 frets and of course a Floyd Rose trem system...

As expected, my incoming 2019 Custom 24 Floyd is of course Fire Red Burst...

3WsiBO2.jpg

Y2PwDPa.jpg

J5F8hRp.jpg

9f3DHez.jpg

tcd1XuF.jpg

ZoLZdBT.jpg

With the \m/ pickups, Maple neck and Ebony board, I do expect it to be different enough tonally from my regular Custom 24 (pictured below) and a great addition to the growing family...

vbFJx28.jpg

Just updating the thread - Its arrived! Ordered yesterday, here today...

nrMQSRF.jpg

Not the 'best' photo, my camera is old - but the flash has made the Red brighter, losing 'some' of the finer flames and made the Burst darker.

Just updating the thread - Its arrived! Ordered yesterday, here today...

nrMQSRF.jpg

Not the 'best' photo, my camera is old - but the flash has made the Red brighter, losing 'some' of the finer flames and made the Burst darker.
Oh man, that's a great top!

Having recently picked up a PRS 594 Hollowbody ii - something with a 'vintage' vibe, I have now added what can really be described as at the other end of the spectrum - Modern, high(er) output Pickups, 24 frets and of course a Floyd Rose trem system...

As expected, my incoming 2019 Custom 24 Floyd is of course Fire Red Burst...

3WsiBO2.jpg

Y2PwDPa.jpg

J5F8hRp.jpg

9f3DHez.jpg

tcd1XuF.jpg

ZoLZdBT.jpg

With the \m/ pickups, Maple neck and Ebony board, I do expect it to be different enough tonally from my regular Custom 24 (pictured below) and a great addition to the growing family...

vbFJx28.jpg
Congrats, Dive bomb away, Killer new member.

Thanks everyone :) and yet again, this is not a 10 top.

First impression is very positive (unsurprisingly), very resonant and the pick-ups seem great too. I have tended to keep away from Hot pickups but these seem great - full, dynamic and great clarity - as you expect from PRS. I have also never owned a 'Locking trem' system before and its still too early for me to know if I will love or hate owning a Floyd. See how things go when I have to change strings, intonate or change the action etc but right now, I am very pleased to have this as part of the family.

I'm debating an \m/ in the bridge of my 594. Let me know what you think!

I think its a great pickup - at least with my initial feelings. That being said, there is no way I would want to swap out my 58/15 LT in my 594 for this. Not to say the \m/ is worse or the 58/15 LT is better, its just that the 58/15 LT is perfectly suited to the 594, what it's 'vibe' is and part of its character. It is for me, the perfect match. The \m/ can of course do a lot more than just Metal, and it does suit the more modern Custom 24 in my opinion. I am someone who wouldn't take a 58 Les Paul and swap out the PAF's for Bare Knuckle Warpigs or EMG's either.

I buy guitars on what they offer and sound like - I buy into that 'vision' of the manufacturer - whether they are recreating a 'vintage' Les Paul type, creating a modern 24 fret Floyd loaded guitar etc and buy the guitar because that vision is also what I wanted or needed. Therefore I am probably not going to be the best person to ask about this. All I can say right now though is that the \m/ pickup is really good in my Cu24 Floyd and fits well with the 'vision' and Vibe you would expect from an instrument like this.

Congrats, what a gorgeous looking CU24 floyd. I concur on the \m/ pickups that they cover a lot of ground. Congrats again!

What a surprise that it's fire red! :p

Beautiful, I know you're gonna love it long time!

I'm debating an \m/ in the bridge of my 594. Let me know what you think!
I'd go for it. I never had anything hotter than a 59/09 in any of my 594s. I'd try the \m/ just for kicks. I had a set in a Santana, and loved them.

I'd go for it. I never had anything hotter than a 59/09 in any of my 594s. I'd try the \m/ just for kicks. I had a set in a Santana, and loved them.
My 594, being a WL, came with regular 58/15's and they are excellent for some things I play (like Mastodon, they are perfect) but very lacking for other things. So it's already sort of a sacreligious guitar :eek:. I was thinking I've have a ritualistic removal ceremony, where we either smash the bridge 58/15 to bits or perhaps combine with a "smash and burn"? I clearly need a fire emoji here. Then, with a bit 'o chanting in tongues, insert the \m/ and commence rockage?!

There are some FR setup tools that make things much more tolerable I reckon. I’ll try to post a link to them.

Back