NGD: Custom 22 Mccarty Sunburst Rosewood Neck.

Endnote

Managed to find this beauty used on reverb a week or two back. I'd been looking to buy a Custom 22 with similar specs new, but the quote I got put a new one at an amount way over my budget! So that wasn't gonna happen anytime soon. Enough internet searching landed me almost exactly what I wanted. Anyhow, how about those specs?

Top Wood: Flame Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Ten Top
Neck Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: Outline Birds (2008+)
Bridge: Straight Stoptail
Color:McCarty Sunburst
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: Dragon 2
Bass Pickup: Dragon 2
Electronics: 5-Way Rotary

Plays amazingly. I used to own an SC250 a couple of years back. Needless to say I was pretty disappointed in the playability, mainly because I had been playing satin necks my whole life, so when I got my SC250 it had a gloss finished neck, and also happened to be heavier than my other guitars, so I eventually sold it (it did sound great though). The Dragon II's sound pretty good to my ears, and while I've generally played high output pickups throughout my life, these are an inbetween vintage and modern . The only thing that needs to change is the 5 way rotary. I've used toggles and blade switches my whole life, and the 5 way has some great tones, but ultimately it's just not that practical to switch between pickups while playing. I'll change to a three-way toggle eventually. I'm using this for standard tuning so the bridge can stay. Some of the pics I used were from the seller, 'cause he did it way more justice than I could. Take a look:

Last edited:
Very nice. And very clean looking, too.

I like the rotary, but the 3 way with a push/pull pot for McCarty switching would be cool on that guitar.

Looks delicious! The rotary gives some cool sounds...so If you have another axe with McCarty switching, try the rotary for a while and see how you bond with it!

That is gorgeous!! I also have a rosewood neck on my McCarty, and it IS fantastic!! Congrats on your purchase!

Kevin

Congrats, beautiful! You outta remove the price quote of a new guitar though as it's not allowed on the forum.

Congrats, beautiful! You outta remove the price quote of a new guitar though as it's not allowed on the forum.
Done. Thanks for looking out.

To those who say give the rotary a chance, how have you guys made it practical to switch between bridge and neck pickups without having the switch turn so slow?

Put a chicken head amp knob on the rotary switch. You can change faster, and it`s easier to keep track of what sound you have dialed in. Just be sure to file the non pointed end of the knob slightly so it doesn`t scratch the guitar finish. I found out about that the hard way, on a core guitar.

Back