NGD- Cure For My Stratitis? Yes.

sergiodeblanc

I'm one of those guys that loves the sound of Strats but hates Strats... You know the type, you may even be one yourself. Over 30 years I must've bought (without exaggerating) at least 10 different S-type guitars. Not superstrats or anything, like, ten different guitars that had the same bridge, pup configuration, and knob and switch layout. And in the end, they all got traded or sold (or worse) in my quest to "kinda" like them.

So when I went "all in" on PRS a few years ago, I did the usual rounds of checking out their "Fender" guitars; the EG, SAS, the 305, the NF3, and then the 513... Some were closer than others, and some of them really only looked like what you'd think they were supposed to sound like, but at the end of the day I felt like my modded CE was closer than they were to capturing the "Fender" vibe I (personally) was looking for.

I had figured between the CE 22 that did "Tele", the modded KL33 that approximated the "Strat" neck position, and the other CE and SE "O" that kinda did the in-between "Strat" sounds,I was covered... but never in one guitar... and I guess I thought I could live with that.

Then my birthday rolled around and I got the green light for a guitar within a certain budget. I sent my girl a bunch of Reverb links and..

Boom!

These are rad guitars. The neck pup is glorious, the in-betweens are there, and the switch and knob placement is totally right for me. Beefy bolt on neck with big frets, and steel components in the bridge that won't tear your hand up.

It came with wimpy strings that made me feel like He-Man for most of the weekend, and once I put a set of 10's on there the tone... I'm happy, even though like the other of PRS's F-style offerings it seems more designed for dirty tones than clean, still this is the closest of them all to what I needed to feel and hear.

Now to do something about that tobacco burst...

And those tuners....

Last edited:
OK Serge congrats and happy Bday. Now you've got your "S" jones covered. If this means you don't like the white Westie anymore you can send it to me:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks, guys.

Hot guitar, Sergio! Maple boards on strat style guitars.... *drool**

Right? It had to be maple.

OK Serge congrats and happy Bday. Now you've got your "S" jones covered. If this means you don't like the white Westie anymore you can send it to me:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Ha! Unfortunately that guitar is promised to someone else already. It even has his name on it.

Cool! It must have been 'DC3' weekend because mine arrived a few days ago too. I love it but I'm hoping that a pickup height adjustment and/or a set of brighter strings will cure my Stratitis... The rosewood board on mine may be contributing to a less straty airy sound.

I'm hoping for the best. It goes to the tech today. Stratitis is a painful condition.

Oh, btw, I'm a newbie here. Hi Guys!

Very nice! I kinda like the tobacco-burst with the maple neck; very "traditional" looking. I was seriously looking at these for that "Strat" sound before I bought my Studio. Still may eventually end up with something similar because it's very different from everything else in the stable.

Nice score! I havent learned my lesson, the stratitis is still strong and i have a Jeff Beck artist series coming in the mail as we speak. Its the last F-word guitar i will try, if it fails then i will kick my own ass for going back down that road again.

Cool! It must have been 'DC3' weekend because mine arrived a few days ago too. I love it but I'm hoping that a pickup height adjustment and/or a set of brighter strings will cure my Stratitis... The rosewood board on mine may be contributing to a less straty airy sound.

I'm hoping for the best. It goes to the tech today. Stratitis is a painful condition.

Oh, btw, I'm a newbie here. Hi Guys!

Welcome!

Pickup height is definitely a factor on these, however the "airiness" is kinda obscured by the somewhat compressed sound of the pickups. I'm an "always on" compressor type guy and needed to back it down a bit for clean sounds.

WTF??????? Truss rod cover is still on! Man, you're slippin'! :p

Dude didn't adjust the rod or the springs for his lighter strings, so when I swapped em there was no need for and adjustment. Trust me, the first time the rod gets a tweak the cover will be in the bag with the others.

By the way, your gal is definitely a keeper! :)

F@ck yeah! Love that girl.

Cant wait to see the refinish. Never seen a neon pink strat. At least I would consider it cool.

It may take awhile but I have something planned. Not pink... but it'll be rad.

Welcome!

Pickup height is definitely a factor on these, however the "airiness" is kinda obscured by the somewhat compressed sound of the pickups. I'm an "always on" compressor type guy and needed to back it down a bit for clean sounds.

Dude didn't adjust the rod or the springs for his lighter strings, so when I swapped em there was no need for and adjustment. Trust me, the first time the rod gets a tweak the cover will be in the bag with the others.

F@ck yeah! Love that girl.

It may take awhile but I have something planned. Not pink... but it'll be rad.

Thanks for the welcome! Seems like an awesome forum. Folks here are the most knowledgeable around. I've been lurking for a while now. I had a green SAS Studio with NFs and a 57/08 on ebay/reverb a few months ago. It got snapped up so I figured it went to a good home and maybe to someone on here. Now I am back to chasing that strat tone...

Sergio - Nice score! Can't wait to see what you are going to do to it. I am not that familiar with this model. Is the blade a 5 way blade? If yes, how does the guitar sound in positions 2 & 4?

Nice score! I havent learned my lesson, the stratitis is still strong and i have a Jeff Beck artist series coming in the mail as we speak. Its the last F-word guitar i will try, if it fails then i will kick my own ass for going back down that road again.
I hope you like your new JB! It may be just me, but I won't buy an F type guitar unless I play it first. There is simply too much variability in terms of quality, playability and tone.

Back