NGD: Core Steve Fischer Angelus

Sweet! I’ve missed a couple truly great deals on core acoustics. Looks great, enjoy!
Yeah, I picked it up for a fair bit less than the cost of a new Core non-10 top, for example, and there is nothing else on the market right now that comes close, except one other Steve Fischer Angelus with cracks in the top and back that made me really nervous.

So now that I've experienced the quality of core acoustics, I will be keeping my eyes peeled for similar deals on variations in woods - e.g. cocobolo bodies, adirondack tops, ebony boards.

As some of you may have read in the Electric Guitars forum, I had been scoping out possible rosewood neck electrics, eager to explore some new sonic territory. I almost picked up a 513 with RW neck, but couldn't quite get to a price I could justify for yet another electric guitar. So whilst browsing alternative thoughts, I found an acoustic I really liked, a 2010 Core Steve Fischer Angelus.

SiVL4WQ.jpg

It has a cocobolo fretboard, mahogany back and sides, honduran hog neck, and European spruce top.

It sounds gorgeous. I really like my two PRS SE acoustics, one an Angelus Custom with solid rosewood body, and one a Tonare with "maple" laminate body. But this one shows what you can do with higher grade materials and the Stevensville attention to build details.

It is in great shape, just one small ding on the headstock edge near the A tuner peg.

3FdE9Mo.jpg

TrMSnnv.jpg

KKTiInw.jpg

It came nicely protected (in a very nice Ameritage case). It also came with this with one end between the D & G strings, the rest hanging down into the sound hole. What purpose does it serve? Some kind of mini humidity controller?

HyrpEf6.jpg

So as mentioned, it sounds fantastic - very nice and clear, and much louder than my SEs. My wife will be home shortly and I'll have her give a proper third-party listen.

Ameritage sells a proprietary system that fits
in the compartment.

Wow, that's beautiful. How's it holding up? Have you had a chance to compare it with the cocobolo b&s ones that PRS used to make?

I have to admit, I'm super bummed out (although I totally understand) that PRS stopped making the core acoustics. I hope they return someday!

Congrats! I have a 2009 Angelus cutaway with the exact same wood recipe. I love it to death, I actually traded it off in a deal for a Brazilian RW guitar but missed it sooo much I bought it back.

Sorry, haven't been poking around the acoustic forum much!

Wow, that's beautiful. How's it holding up? Have you had a chance to compare it with the cocobolo b&s ones that PRS used to make?

I have to admit, I'm super bummed out (although I totally understand) that PRS stopped making the core acoustics. I hope they return someday!
Not had a chance to compare it to any other Core acoustic. Actually, haven't played it much recently, been playing electric or occasionally picking up an SE acoustic to bash about with. The Fischer stays in its case, so it is one more step to play than just yanking an SE off the wall/stand. Laziness usually wins, especially when jamming.

Yeah, it is too bad they don't make "regular" core acoustics any more, but that is where the market drove them.

Congrats! I have a 2009 Angelus cutaway with the exact same wood recipe. I love it to death, I actually traded it off in a deal for a Brazilian RW guitar but missed it sooo much I bought it back.
Thanks! I think I stopped playing it after I recorded my acoustic bits for an upcoming CD, and I really miss it - I should uncase it tonight to jam with my wife.

VERY nice buy, indeed! The Core acoustics were (are) phenomenal guitars. Getting hold of one second hand is very difficult. I even went so far as to have the local distributor enquire if PRS would build a one off for me on special order, but alas ( as the saying goes - you won't know if you don't ask!:D)

PS - if anyone has an Artist Package Angelus or Tonare with cocobolo b/s, please drop me a line

Wow!!! You never see those out in the wild. Those are in the price range of a Custom 24. I wish PRS did start making an american line for acoustics, but acoustic guitar making is such a different process than electric guitar making. I'm eyeing the T55E with the abaco green back. 879 seems like a fair price for that pretty amazing looking guitar. It's practically PS grade quilt, but just a veneer. They do use real abalone though! I'm a sucker for abalone anything, binding, inlay, purfling.

PS - if anyone has an Artist Package Angelus or Tonare with cocobolo b/s, please drop me a line

I had an Artist Tonare with cocobolo back and sides, an ebony fretboard, and Adirondack spruce top, before ordering my maple bodied PS. It would have been great to have both, but like an idiot I sold it thinking it would help fund the PS. If I'd been a little more patient...oh well.

It was a wonderful instrument, and every bit as nicely built as my PS. And I adore my PS.

If you can find one, grab it. They're fantastic.

For grins, here’s a pic of the maple PS, with Adirondack top and ebony fretboard; I liked the coco AP so much that I told the PS folks I wanted nothing fancier than that, just keep it simple, same inlays, etc.

I’m guessing it’s the most plain PS in the history of PRS!

3mVz6f7.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice.. I have a Angelus Custom acoustic from USA 2013 model, red spruce top, cocobola back n sides and wanting to a new bridge bone saddle, where the heck can I get one from? looks really custom in sizing as 68mmish long and 3.5mm wide, any suggestions? Muchly appreciated

Very nice.. I have a Angelus Custom acoustic from USA 2013 model, red spruce top, cocobola back n sides and wanting to a new bridge bone saddle, where the heck can I get one from? looks really custom in sizing as 68mmish long and 3.5mm wide, any suggestions? Muchly appreciated

Have you tried PRS Customer Service?

My 2 Angelus' have become my favorite acoustics . I don't play my Tonare as much . The Cocobolo Artist has amazing clarity , the flame Mahogany Steve Fischer is warm and delicious I use it for the dropped tunings more due to the CF neck rod

Back