NGD coming, bucket lister.

and i don’t want to be Petty, how does it compare to the rickenbacker?

Totally different! I’ve had several Rick 12s.

They’re even strung differently - Ricks have the octave strings (the skinny strings) on the treble side, other 12 strings have them on the bass side. The pickups are way different, and the hardware on a Rick is a bunch of pressed-metal bits and bobs that rattle against each other, a big factor in the metallic jangle of a Rick. Ricks (except for the Petty model) also share saddles between the thin strings and the thick ones, making intonation a little...different.

Also, a Rick’s strings are extremely close together, except on the 660/12s that were widened after the 669/TP Petty model.

Anyway, the tone, the feel, the vibe, different thing.

And here’s a fun fact: the 12-string parts on the early Petty Records were done with two 6-strings; one in standard tuning, and one strung “Nashville” style, an octave up, with skinny strings where the thick strings usually are.

You’re going to get more of a Byrds or “Day Tripper” thing from a Rick 12 than that Petty thing. The PRS 12 should take you more into, well, up that Stairway...

;)

Interesting Petty fact. I’ve heard of that technique using the “Nashville” tuning/light string style on recording’s. Honestly not sure I’m going to go with this 12 string. My bar circuit “live at the dive” shows are use the 12 string for cover songs by Neil Young sometimes Led Zeppelin, Rush “closer to the heart” acoustically, Triumph “magic power”Etc. etc. also use it for my own original stuff.

I want to experiment with writing with the 12 string electric think I’ll do that with looping feature through my AX8 see where that takes me. Doubt I’ll be using us for any performing since I don’t do bar circuit anymore and I play for friends barbecues and in a bar at the Kolping society club (bar) near me, performed three times this weekend anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours each time with my PRS Tonare Grand. Truly an incredible instrument. Should’ve put a pick guard on it though, and another 10 years it’s gonna look like Trigger LOL.

I never had an interest in the Ricks six string or 12 strings. I guess they have their place in music but not for me. I own only two guitars that are not PRS now and they’re both Taylor’s a 12 string and a 712 six string from the early 90s. Always considered a Rickenbacker Bass, But that comes from admiring Getty Lee from Rush the early days.

Last edited:
Totally different! I’ve had several Rick 12s.

They’re even strung differently - Ricks have the octave strings (the skinny strings) on the treble side, other 12 strings have them on the bass side. The pickups are way different, and the hardware on a Rick is a bunch of pressed-metal bits and bobs that rattle against each other, a big factor in the metallic jangle of a Rick. Ricks (except for the Petty model) also share saddles between the thin strings and the thick ones, making intonation a little...different.

Also, a Rick’s strings are extremely close together, except on the 660/12s that were widened after the 669/TP Petty model.

Anyway, the tone, the feel, the vibe, different thing.

And here’s a fun fact: the 12-string parts on the early Petty Records were done with two 6-strings; one in standard tuning, and one strung “Nashville” style, an octave up, with skinny strings where the thick strings usually are.

You’re going to get more of a Byrds or “Day Tripper” thing from a Rick 12 than that Petty thing. The PRS 12 should take you more into, well, up that Stairway...

;)
Meant to hit reply to your post see above

i know well and forgot all about the gross ric12 saddle pieces. total garbage! and the reversed string pairs, which i swear i redid the ‘right way’ on mine and thought i was crazy until i read about it 25 years after the fact.

anyway, sorry about derailing the prs talk with a petty pun.

No apologies necessary, this is what it’s all about. I’ve heard in several interviews Paul wanted to make the best guitars possible improving on what didn’t work on others. Other guitar company should pay attention to what he did.

You derailed nothing you just made the conversation interesting ! ;)

Yep. And I’d match the pickup toggle switch to match, too.

Think I’ll try both between string changes, I’ll with single coil cream cover first, That would be easier won’t have to mess with the springs of the humbuckers. See how that looks for a while.

BTW Sergio... you don’t like blue guitars?? Blasphemy :D

Back