NGD: Chris Robertson SE

Love mine an think the red is better than the blue burst color.
Agree tone wise it is full of classic rock, jazz an blues tones straight away an with a bit of pedal manipulation you can get some sweet country rock tones.
My honeymoon period is still on going, in fact this is my go to

Glad to hear there is others on here loving it as much as myself.

Last night I found a really lovely spot on the bridge pickup that basically eliminated my last concerns about this guitar. Split, tone down to about 4, volume rolled a bit down, gain at about 9 o'clock with my amp on the Marshall Plexi setting, and it's exactly the sort of silky, sweet tone that I rely on a lot for my cleans.

Plus, dime everything on the amp, tone all the way off, split, 60% volume on the bridge and there's something pretty close to a "Sunshine of Your Love" tone here.

Wait till you try a fuzz pedal an wah wah in with it Hotspur.. Clapton cream tone no problem then plus turn volume down on guitar an tone up for the thinner Jimmy page moments.. I'm using different pedals that I hadn't tried for ages to see if they were as bad as thought. So far they all sound better.. Go figure.. Lol

One interesting thing to me is how much of a difference the volume control makes on the tone. Rolling them down a bit not only cleans things up, but softens them a bit. Volume on ten with low gain on the amp things can be a little sharp.

My old strat must've had really shitty pots in it or something, because honestly it often felt like they all did almost nothing.

Anyway, I'm still really enjoying this guitar. Been playing it a lot and it's already inspired me - I've got a couple of new songs half-written because of it.

One interesting thing to me is how much of a difference the volume control makes on the tone. Rolling them down a bit not only cleans things up, but softens them a bit. Volume on ten with low gain on the amp things can be a little sharp.

My old strat must've had really shitty pots in it or something, because honestly it often felt like they all did almost nothing.

Anyway, I'm still really enjoying this guitar. Been playing it a lot and it's already inspired me - I've got a couple of new songs half-written because of it.

Nice one!

Oh, I did dial down the A-string screw on the P90 a little. That string sometimes felt too loud, which lent the guitar a nice heaviness, but was overpowering with some of the stuff I play.

I don't have any experience with that kind of adjustment - there's no "too far down" you can dial it, right? (Not that I want to go any lower, just in case I want to keep tweaking.)

See...like I said, play with her knobs and she'll show ya what she can do! I seem to be finding new, subtle, yet different tones everyday...The feel of the CR alone would be enough for me to go on and on about it...But add the controls, tonal options and the neck thay neck abd its a home run! The neck is my favorite! It is incredible...However, I am contemplating having a satin finish professionally done..I love the satin feel personally. A lot of people say, don't do it, it hurts the resale...don't care this baby's not going anywhere anyway! Glad to hear you and your CR are beginning to gel nicely! Glad to hear my initial recommendation didn't dissapoint!

The neck is my favorite! It is incredible...However, I am contemplating having a satin finish professionally done..I love the satin feel personally.

The neck is a tad chunky for my taste, but I did find myself wondering if having the finish taken down and doing a satin finish on it would change that. It's one of those things - I don't notice at all once I've been playing for a few minutes, but when I first pick up the guitar I definitely feel it.

The neck is a tad chunky for my taste, but I did find myself wondering if having the finish taken down and doing a satin finish on it would change that. It's one of those things - I don't notice at all once I've been playing for a few minutes, but when I first pick up the guitar I definitely feel it.

Without insulting your intelligence, satinizing the neck won’t make a discernible difference in the rear radius (IMO).

Bearing in mind that Paul often tells us the thickness of the lacquer coat on a PRS is less than a human hair (maybe different for SE). If you imagine that removing the smallest amount to give a satin effect, or conversely applying a satin coat, which would add a very small amount onto the neck.

Hope this helps?

I

I have ham hock sized hands...so the neck fits me well...I just like the feel of the satin...With just a bit of moisture, the Web of my hand, in particular, seems to drag just a bit. I know it's a personal preference thing...I am just considering having the gloss "knocked down a bit" not a complete refinish. I've seen other necks that have been given "satin" finish using steel wool or a Scotch Brite Pad. From what I understand they can be returned back to close to original after being polished or even after a period of play time...contemplating having it done by a professional. I'm not brave enough to attempt it myself...though I am tempted...

Compared to the neck on my SE CU24 it's heaven...not that the 24 is bad...I just didn't gel with it as quickly...I have however, heard others say the same thing about the neck being a bit chunky...It's all about personal preference and what feels the most comfortable but more importantly, what inspires one to grab it and play.

As Scott said, you can satin finish a gloss neck with wire wool, scotch brite.

On you tube, consensus of opinion seems to be that wire wool isn’t a favourite. 400 grit wet and dry and even 1000 grit sanding pads are used.

The key is (pardon the pun) to mask carefully. I’m sure it would be possible to catch an area of finish by mistake, that you don’t want matte. Mask off to protect areas of your guitar near to where you’re sanding, to prevent this.

The Tremonti satin neck follows the contours of the rear of the headstock (in the v-shape that is formed. This is a really cool feature and I’m sure with careful masking this could be copied (if you feel brave).

Most videos appear to show much care being taken just to remove the sheen. Once the finish is dull, job done.

Also take care to work evenly over the area you want matte/satin finish.

Scott if you do decide to have a go yourself, video the process please:)

As Scott said, you can satin finish a gloss neck with wire wool, scotch brite.

On you tube, consensus of opinion seems to be that wire wool isn’t a favourite. 400 grit wet and dry and even 1000 grit sanding pads are used.

The Tremonti satin neck follows the contours of the rear of the headstock (in the v-shape that is formed.

Scott if you do decide to have a go yourself, video the process please:)

You've seen the same videos as me apparently...I'll add, some mention the use of wire wool can reek havoc on the pickups...I thought that was a bit obvious but...That means somebody somewhere...well you know...didn't and learned the hard way. Must be for the same people that need a warning not to eat the urinal cakes...o_O

I dig the V shape at the bottom of the headstock, I think the contrast is killer!

Nope, not this guy...I would much rather pay someone to take and abrasive material to the neck of my favorite guitar... :eek:

You've seen the same videos as me apparently...I'll add, some mention the use of wire wool can reek havoc on the pickups...I thought that was a bit obvious but...That means somebody somewhere...well you know...didn't and learned the hard way. Must be for the same people that need a warning not to eat the urinal cakes...o_O

I dig the V shape at the bottom of the headstock, I think the contrast is killer!

Nope, not this guy...I would much rather pay someone to take and abrasive material to the neck of my favorite guitar... :eek:
Dang! And I thought they were pieces of pineapple, thought they tasted a bit piquant!

Ok, it was worth a try, my enabling skills are obviously not strong enough.

Imagine the sense of achievement when you do though!o_Oo_O

Without insulting your intelligence, satinizing the neck won’t make a discernible difference in the rear radius (IMO).

Yeah, I know it's not a meaningful amount of thickness, but sometimes a textural thing can make a outsized difference in the perceived size of something.

I don't think it's something I'd bother exploring with. I'm happy with the guitar as is. :)

Yeah, I know it's not a meaningful amount of thickness, but sometimes a textural thing can make a outsized difference in the perceived size of something.

I don't think it's something I'd bother exploring with. I'm happy with the guitar as is. :)
Absolutely!

If the neck feels good it gives the psychological feeling of being slimmer.

I get what you’re saying.

Thought about it myself but after 10.minutes playing her I decided against for me.. Have other guitars with satin necks an I like them on those guitars but for myself on my CR I'm happy with the way it feels..

Keep an eye out on YouTube as guitarist magazine in UK have a review off the CR in this month magazine..

Back