NGD!! Change of plans edition

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
So, since seeing the new SE HB II Piezo, I've been jonesing for one, and gathering cash.

Hadn't seen any of the SE Hollowbodies locally, but then finally found a Standard to play, and was quite smitten with it. Then I found a II locally, and was more smitten with it. Went through my thought process and realized that, while the Piezo might be fun, I'd rarely use it and would be paying more for the color and maple binding - so decided to run with a Hollowbody II instead. Found one on Reverb on Friday listed as used, at a great price, mint. It arrived today - inspection date was March 18, it was pristine in the case with the hang tag still on it. From an authorized dealer, I'm suspecting they might be selling some as used to get around MAP...which is strange, but hey, I'll take it because it was a screaming deal.

Allow me to introduce Holly, who I'm now going to go play with for several hours.

holly1.jpg

holly2.jpg

holly3.jpg

holly4.jpg

And here with Angie:
hollyangie.jpg

Looks great! Did you return the standard then?

Didn't buy the standard, just played it a couple times at the store. I was thinking about it, but I really don't care for the Fire Red Burst color.

I'm in love - was wondering if I'd want to swap pickups, but I'm initially really pleased with the 58/15s that are in there.

So nice...when the right one comes along you just know it. Congrats and enjoy!

No matter which model, these hollowbodies are screaming quality deals. There’s no bad choice, because they all have a slightly different sound.

How would you describe the differences in their sounds to those of us who, due to quarantine, can't get out to a guitar store to a/b/c them?

The neck pickup on the hollowbody has a real jazz sound, making me wonder if I want to sell my Guild X170 that is 30 years old. with both pickups, or the bridge, it reminds me of an old 330 I had years ago. All great sounds. The Hollowbody ll has more treble, and is less mid focused on all settings.The piezo version has the piezo, and for some weird reason sounded closer to a 335 to me. I have the standard, but the piezo comes in blue, so I'll have to sell the standard (which doesn't come in blue).

Back