NGD: CE 22.. help dating/info?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by PatrickH, Jan 7, 2019.

1. PatrickH

PatrickH New Member

I picked up a used CE22 for what I think is a steal. It is my first PRS and I know I'm on the honey moon, but I can't get over how good this guitar feels - such a high quality instrument. Easily rivals my Fender Custom Shop...

Anyway, the person who sold it said it was from '98.

The serial number on the back plate reads:

8 CE17241

And I think, from what I've ready, that this would put that guitar as being from 1998. BUT I was reading up on PRS guitars, and it seems that the CE22 had covered Dragon II pickups in 98, where mine has uncovered, Dragon I pickups.

In the neck cavity, there is also a date, which seems to suggest 1994.

So what's going on with the guitar? Can anyone help me figure out what I'm seeing (and maybe what any of those numbers/codes in the cavities mean). Is it possible I somehow bought a frankenstein guitar with parts from 2 different guitars?

Here's the guitar:

[​IMG]

Back neck plate:

[​IMG]

And some pickup cavity shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Nice guitar! Congrats

3. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

Nice! I’d drop a line to customer service for details. Looks like things changed mid stream during production.

4. gush

gush She said "huge bag of dibs".

Strange. Neck plate suggests 1998. The one number matches in the bridge pu cavity and neck pu cavity (neck itself) so it appears neck and body are correct to each other.

I don't fully understand why some information gets blacked out like on your guitar. I've seen that before. Also I'd have to look on prs site but I really don't know if ce22s were available in 1994 and what year they went to dragon 2s. My 97 ce22 has drag 1s.

BTW I have a 97 mahogany ce22 and like all my others, it's a cool guitar.

Bowtiefanatc likes this.
  5. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

I have a 95 mahogany CE22 with Dragon 1's and it has the best tone I own.
    [​IMG]

shimmilou, grausch and Bowtiefanatc like this.
  6. gush

gush She said "huge bag of dibs".

Very nice . My 97 hog was a project when I bought it.

It had a 3 way toggle, SD pickups, no coil splits, screw holes on the body where midi pickup used to be and somebody trying a refret pulled some small pieces of rosewood off the fretboard! The pieces are glued back in place and I noticed it when I cleaned the fretboard. I can't tell by playing it so I guess that's good.

It was a super cheap ebay score.

Now it has rotary and 5310s.

I do have a 97 with drag 1s and for higher gain it's badass.

#6 gush, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  7. PatrickH

PatrickH New Member

According to PRS Model history, they started production of CE22s in 1994. The switch to Dragon 2s was in 1998... it could just be that mine was built in early 1998, before the switch.

8. PatrickH

PatrickH New Member

Great idea. I contact them and learned that the guitar is original, not a parts guitar.

While the change to dragon II pickups happened in 1998, this guitar was built in Jan 1998 and was ordered in 1997, so it was built to 1997 specs (hence the drag I pickups).

The guitar has the wide-thin neck profile, which proved to be far less popular than the wide fat neck profile, so the neck was built in 1994, and then sat around waiting for a body for several years.

So the guitar is as it was from PRS originally.

None of it matters all that much - the guitar is killer, but it's nice to have a bit of clarity on what I bought!

garrett, Ovibos, grausch and 3 others like this.
  9. Johnny Rigs

Johnny Rigs Have you tried restarting?

Very interesting! Glad you contacted them and got the skinny on this guitar. Wouldn't have expected that a neck made in '94 would be waiting for an order to call for it until '98. But makes it that much better of a story~

10. PatrickH

PatrickH New Member

Yeah, I was surprised!

Also found it interesting, having looks at the specs, that the WF and WT are really only 2/32" (or 2mm in metric) different as their depth at the nut, and otherwise the measurements are the same. I haven't picked up a WF neck recently, but its amazing that 2mm would make such a difference in preference!

Johnny Rigs likes this.
  11. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc Confirmed Bird Snob

2007 All Hog with Dragon 1s here :D

[​IMG]

shimmilou, grausch and AP515 like this.
  12. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

I have a guitar that sat in the factory for almost ten years before they found a buyer and finished it.

grausch, gush, bodia and 1 other person like this.
  13. Johnny Rigs

Johnny Rigs Have you tried restarting?

:eek:

14. PatrickH

PatrickH New Member

I haven't seen a lot of natural mahogany PRS guitars - I think their flame tops are a lot more popular / iconic, so I can understand why this guitar might have sat for a while. I think it's lovely, though!

CyFan4036 likes this.
  15. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

It is. It’s gorgeous!

At the big G and F makers, they used to make parts in batches and not make more until the batches were used up. My ‘71 ES-335 has hardware from the late 60s and pickups from somewhere between 1966 and 1969. It’s not surprising.

16. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Common for F type guitars, neck and body can be years apart.

17. Sean Toohey

Sean Toohey New Member

Hey there Patrick, just wanted to say mine is a 95, it came with all the documents (ie stating it had D2s installed ) and when I opened it up mine also had 1s .....

Given I came to love them and then learning what a set of D1s are now worth I’m very happy. I’m also pretty sure they were done in the factory.

Some will tell you it’s probably just the sticker but they have completely different specs - D1 Treble has a ceramic and is about 18k (from memory). I opened mine to check the magnet but it’s unnecessary, just put the treble on a multimeter.

And yes these 90s CEs are the best
    Dollar:Quality... and I’m in Australia where our dollar is crap and any US Prs REALLY hold their value.

I got mine after I got a Korean SE that blew me away. As good as that SE is the CE made it feel like toy ukulele.

Congratulations.

y

shimmilou likes this.
  18. Mark Ray

Mark Ray New Member

All I can say is Dragon 1's for the win!

shimmilou likes this.
  19. JJJ

JJJ asleep

nice axe