NGD Black CE

JohnG

I have been through so many guitars, including SEs and S2s. I’ve always wanted a core model but they are way out of my budget. When the CE was reintroduced a few years back, I got one. It was the best guitar I had ever owned- (comfortable, easy to play, sounded great, etc.) So I sold it in order to get a core model (cu24). I should mention here that I’m visually impaired (low vision, color blind) and a visually stunning guitar doesn’t hold much value for me. The core custom 24 I have might be visually appealing (?) but I’ve had challenges with it. For instance the action was too high and I can’t seem to get it right. I had a luthier give it a try but it’s just not perfect.
I noticed PRS has a plain black CE that sells for a bit less than the regular ones. Still regretting selling my last one I bought a black CE. I love this thing. Visually, it appears different. It’s quite plain in appearance and it’s almost entirely black (I think). The head stock on the CE is usually light (in color) but I think this one is black (?)
The reason I love this guitar is that I can’t put it down. When it arrived, I spent perhaps 20 seconds on a minor tuning and this thing just plays perfectly. I prefer low action and this is just unbelievable. I kept expecting it to buzz out in spots but it doesn’t. It’s comfortable, easy to play, sounds awesome, and is simply perfect. I like it better than the one I sold.
These are some rather dark times, and I feel shallow admitting that an object could elevate my mood. But it has. My impression is that some folks at PRS put love into the making of this instrument, and I am extremely appreciative.

Congrats! I find the reduced top carve on the CE reissue more comfortable than the old ones and the Core models. They play and sound every bit as good, too.

No need to feel shallow. A guitar is more than just an object.

Congrats!
CE's are awesome.
Glad you found the "one" for you.

This is a thought-provoking thread. We all know PRS guitars are known for their eye-candy factor, but their playability is off the charts for me.

I think it would be a great design exercise for PRS to design a guitar meant for someone who is legally blind or completely blind. Taking looks out of the picture, design a guitar that is outstanding. Then apply that knowledge back to their production models.

(Maybe they already do this? It would be a good exercise for all guitar manufacturers to do.)

Back