NGD - another old CE to add to the mix

Emerald CEs RULE!!!!!!

Don't let the neck pocket crack worry you too much. I have one with a pocket crack and it happens to be the most stable with trem use of all my prs guitars.

When I got it the spring claw was screwed tight so trem wouldn't move. I put new springs and fulcrum screws on it and I can beat the hell out of the trem and it stays in tune very well.

They also had the long neck screws sticking through the neck pickup cavity so I couldn't adjust neck pickup down. I was really worried I bought a junker but it's a badass guitar now. NEVER sell this one.

Some dickweed screwed midi pickup to the top of the body??????? I think this guitar is angry because of that...........it has a lot to say!

Well in regards to the cracks, I sent a photo to PRS who said the timber might be cracked. Which I suspected it could be because upon review in good light it looked a little more than the usual pocket cracks you get on strats all the time. You know how it's usually a couple of cm long, on the left side it extends for more like 5 or 6 and the finish has chipped out a tiny bit.

It's no biggie, it will be off to my trusted repairman in a few weeks and if it needs some gluing and clamping it will be done and good as new. Im not into finish repairs - this guitar has been a gig pig and I knew what I was getting into. It's keeping it's scars and if ai ever flip it I will have paperwork for the repair and won't be hiding it!

As it is it is completely stable and it just plays so damn well.... i honestly think the only improvement i could make is taller fretwire and that's it.

You know what, I have a question about this instrument for you fine folk

Someone pointed out when I first posted the ad that these originally came with rotary switches. Did they ever come from the factory with the three way toggle that this has?

I see plenty of images on the net with similar 3 ways with the same tip, and the seller told me the guitar was 100% factory.

I actually prefer the toggle but I'm just curious

You know what, I have a question about this instrument for you fine folk

Someone pointed out when I first posted the ad that these originally came with rotary switches. Did they ever come from the factory with the three way toggle that this has?

I see plenty of images on the net with similar 3 ways with the same tip, and the seller told me the guitar was 100% factory.

I actually prefer the toggle but I'm just curious
It is very possible that this was a "special order" and PRS allowed the swap to the 3-way as a standard option.

Reactions: JJJ
CLASSIC ELECTRIC (CE BOLT-ON): 1988 - Current. 24-fret maple neck, unfaced headstock, dot inlays, alder body, PRS Vintage pickups, tone control, and 3-way toggle selector. Rosewood fretboard, wide-thin neck options by ’89. Black headstock face and 5-way rotary switch by mid-’89. HFS Treble/Vintage Bass finalized by ’91. Maple top version- the CE Bolt-on Maple Top- added in ’89. Mahogany body/ back from ’95 as well as stop-tail option. Solid Mahogany body discontinued in 2000, stop tailpiece & regular neck profile discontinued in 2001. Offered as wide thin, tremolo only from 2001.

This thread might be dead by now... but it may still be relevant, as I just bought my first PRS, a 1989 CE in whale blue with an all maple neck (yeaaaaa baby!)

As a brand new member, I wanted to say thank you to you guys, as the information you've shared on here helped me make an educated purchase of my new axe. Time to jam!

This thread might be dead by now... but it may still be relevant, as I just bought my first PRS, a 1989 CE in whale blue with an all maple neck (yeaaaaa baby!)

As a brand new member, I wanted to say thank you to you guys, as the information you've shared on here helped me make an educated purchase of my new axe. Time to jam!
Nice!
Start a new thread and let’s see some pics.:)

Back