NGD and one question

jeffroel

It has happened again… :)

SwAsALT.jpg

I wasn’t expecting to buy a new guitar but I saw this in reverb and I could negotiate a great deal. A 96 Goldtop McCarty

First impressions: Great condition for a 24 years old guitar. It resonates like crazy. Neck pickup is just amazing and the middle position is maybe the best middle position in all my guitars. I’m still in the honeymoon phase and comparing it to my 594, Paul’s and SC245, but I’m amazed with this

YQtA2gG.jpg

The only “negative” I can find is that it’s heavier compared with my other PRSi (8lb 4oz), but no big deal. It may be part of its charm…

One question just in case anyone knows. What type of frets had this guitar from factory? It seems that this frets are quite dressed (although I’m not sure if these are the kind of frets of the McCarty, therefore my question) and I’m thinking about regretting. What do you think??

raeHmQ4.jpg

It plays great but I can feel the frets are not quite my other guitars.

Frets look fine, but we can’t see if the cowboy chord divots are too deep. Regardless, a gold top is a hellova thing and you scored a good one! Congrats!

Congrats! So you're the one who snagged it...o_O

Sweet top!
Hahahaha thanks! I wasn't sure about it, but the goldtop finish was too tempting.

I'm planning to make a comparison of all my "McCartyesque" guitars, so keep posted for updates :)

Thanks everyone!

PRS has used different fret sizes over the years, as a model-specific thing and as an evolutionary thing, so it is possible the frets are stock/factory but would be different from your other PRSi, especially the 594.

Congrats !!! Gold tops are special :) really like the McCarty pickups I put in my CU22

What a classic. Congrats! To me, the tops of the frets look really flat. Maybe like they were leveled but not crowned? Might be able to crown them and they might feel more normal.

Imagine having a time machine and going back to the early days of Fender and Gibson. You show up with that and it's game over in the guitar game. Classy and timeless guitar.

Back