NGD and hello

Hoosier81

Hey everybody! I posted my introduction in the other thread, but figured I might as well make a NGD post and show off my new beauty. I’ve owned various fenders and les Paul’s through the years, but recently started looking hard at PRS guitars. I’ve always thought they were beautiful, but never had a chance to play one other than a couple minutes unplugged in a shop one time. I honestly had my mind almost made up to order a new SE Custom 24. I stopped by my local shop and they happened to have this old girl hanging. Grabbed it down and spent the next 2 hours playing it. I fell hard and decided it would be foolish to take a chance on ordering a new version when I know what I’m holding is this good. Love the neck and how light it is, but the tone is the main attraction. It’s just so good. While I was there I was going to pick up a Vox AC10C1. But they happened to have one of the new 10th anniversary Blackstars before anyone else. Luckily the owner talked me into trying it, I’ve always thought they were strictly metal amps and I’m a full blown blues/classic rock guy. It left me no choice but to take it over the Vox. The Vox was great but the Artisan just has something different. Yesterday turned out to be an awesome day lol. Anyway, sorry to make you read this wall o text, so here’s the rundown. It’s (from what I’ve gathered online) a 2010 SE Custom 22 semi hollow body. I’m guessing it’s the natural finish. The amp is the 10th anniversary Blackstar Artisan 10 watt class A.
TzEw6IF.jpg
68sumrg.jpg

Very nice flame on that veneer.

I really dig that amp, never heard of it but I like my blackstar.

I hope that box of rice Krispy treats is full. That sounds like a great snack for jamming.

Thank you! I hadn’t heard of the amp either, but after getting home I looked them up. Looks like most places will be releasing them after the first of the year. They are releasing 3 different 10 watt versions, each with different tubes, this one is the el34, the Artist with 6l6, and the Series One with kt88. I think they’re only making 150 of each. Each has its own “feature”. Mine has the boost option. Really digging this amp.
And those Rice Krispies are long gone lol the box is full of old books and works nicely keeping my amps off the floor lol.

Thanks guys! It was an excellent day. I’m loving the airy-ness of this guitar and the light weight. It compliments my Road Worn 50’s Strat with pure vintage ‘59 pickups nicely. I’m thinking I might like a more bluesy set of pickups with a little more grit. Nothing “wrong” with the stock set, I’m just a tinkerer and enjoy making my stuff “mine”. The semi hollow aspect is kinda making me second guess what specs I’ll need. But the search is part of the fun right? Looking at Pearly Gates and Whole Lotta Humbuckers right now.

Thanks guys! It was an excellent day. I’m loving the airy-ness of this guitar and the light weight. It compliments my Road Worn 50’s Strat with pure vintage ‘59 pickups nicely. I’m thinking I might like a more bluesy set of pickups with a little more grit. Nothing “wrong” with the stock set, I’m just a tinkerer and enjoy making my stuff “mine”. The semi hollow aspect is kinda making me second guess what specs I’ll need. But the search is part of the fun right? Looking at Pearly Gates and Whole Lotta Humbuckers right now.

Those sound like strong choices.

I think a lot of people like the Bare Knuckle Mules, but that's a big chunk of change. On the other end of the price spectrum, maybe some Dragonfire Vintage Buckers - at <$40 for a full set, all you have to lose is some soldering and stringing time...

Hey everybody! I posted my introduction in the other thread, but figured I might as well make a NGD post and show off my new beauty. I’ve owned various fenders and les Paul’s through the years, but recently started looking hard at PRS guitars. I’ve always thought they were beautiful, but never had a chance to play one other than a couple minutes unplugged in a shop one time. I honestly had my mind almost made up to order a new SE Custom 24. I stopped by my local shop and they happened to have this old girl hanging. Grabbed it down and spent the next 2 hours playing it. I fell hard and decided it would be foolish to take a chance on ordering a new version when I know what I’m holding is this good. Love the neck and how light it is, but the tone is the main attraction. It’s just so good. While I was there I was going to pick up a Vox AC10C1. But they happened to have one of the new 10th anniversary Blackstars before anyone else. Luckily the owner talked me into trying it, I’ve always thought they were strictly metal amps and I’m a full blown blues/classic rock guy. It left me no choice but to take it over the Vox. The Vox was great but the Artisan just has something different. Yesterday turned out to be an awesome day lol. Anyway, sorry to make you read this wall o text, so here’s the rundown. It’s (from what I’ve gathered online) a 2010 SE Custom 22 semi hollow body. I’m guessing it’s the natural finish. The amp is the 10th anniversary Blackstar Artisan 10 watt class A.
TzEw6IF.jpg
68sumrg.jpg
Saweet NGD, well done.

If you’re thinking about a pickup change, have a look at Brandonwound. He makes a very nice set of PAF, that don’t cost the earth.

Thank you everybody! I was up late last night playing it, there’s a sweetness behind the attitude I’ve never really heard before in another guitar. She’s a keeper.

Nice, I was considering the SE semi hollow a few years back. Although ergonomically I didn't connect to it, tone wise I thought it was the best sounding SE I tried.

Welcome aboard..............and I didn't know rice krispies treats were whole grain.:p

Those sound like strong choices.

I think a lot of people like the Bare Knuckle Mules, but that's a big chunk of change. On the other end of the price spectrum, maybe some Dragonfire Vintage Buckers - at <$40 for a full set, all you have to lose is some soldering and stringing time...
Man I’ve lusted after a set of Bare Knuckles for all of my guitars lol. I wish I could afford them cause I’m sure they’re worth every penny. BUT, I do have a set of Pearly Gates on the way now I’m pretty excited about. I’m hoping it’ll tighten up and bring out the low end some, it’s kinda soft and spongy with the stock pups. I like my low end tight and present.
A Stephen King fan!
Nice rig dude!
Oh yeah dude I’m a big King fan! I need to get more, I’ve read all the ones I have at least 3 times lol. I haven’t read all of his, but I’m getting pretty close.

Totally missed the King books - another huge fan. Still have far too many I haven't read, but I love his stuff. The Bill Hodges's trilogy (starts w/Mr. Mercedes) is really good, even if it's not really his usual stuff. The AXS TV version was really good as well.

Totally missed the King books - another huge fan. Still have far too many I haven't read, but I love his stuff. The Bill Hodges's trilogy (starts w/Mr. Mercedes) is really good, even if it's not really his usual stuff. The AXS TV version was really good as well.
That’s one (series) I haven’t read that I’m thinking is next on my list. I like all of his different styles. Hearts in Atlantis is one of my all time favorites and it’s not horror at all. He really is a legend.

Back