NGD! ...and a question.

Not to hijack the thread, but this seems relevant...

Do standard Gibson Speed knobs fit on the McCarty pots? I'd like to get rid of the lampshades.

Thanks!

I believe that you may have to open the spline up a little, as the SE pot will be metric and the core knob imperial.

Thanks. So the McCarty spline shafts are NOT standard 1/4" CTS. They ARE metric 6mm?

Yes?

Not to hijack the thread, but this seems relevant...

Do standard Gibson Speed knobs fit on the McCarty pots? I'd like to get rid of the lampshades.

Thanks!
That’s a good question. I know there are two spline counts on CTS pots, 18 and 24. I was going to take a look under the knobs on the 513 I’ve got on my lap today, but found those knobs are on tight! I think a quick email to customer support will give you the details. Come back and share what you find out!

I'm pretty sure core knobs, as @Alnus Rubra mentioned, are imperial (non-metric) size. The SE ones would be metric.

Thanks. So the McCarty spline shafts are NOT standard 1/4" CTS. They ARE metric 6mm?

Yes?

My reply was for @justjoshin .

Your McCarty is a Core instrument, that unless it has been modified, should be imperial (1/4 CTS).

You will probably find that the knobs that you are talking about wanting to use a replacement will be a direct match.

It’s the pots that are fitted as standard on the SE range that are metric.

Apologies for any confusion.

That’s a good question. I know there are two spline counts on CTS pots, 18 and 24. I was going to take a look under the knobs on the 513 I’ve got on my lap today, but found those knobs are on tight! I think a quick email to customer support will give you the details. Come back and share what you find out!

I'm pretty sure core knobs, as @Alnus Rubra mentioned, are imperial (non-metric) size. The SE ones would be metric.

Thanks!

My reply was for @justjoshin .

Your McCarty is a Core instrument, that unless it has been modified, should be imperial (1/4 CTS).

You will probably find that the knobs that you are talking about wanting to use a replacement will be a direct match.

It’s the pots that are fitted as standard on the SE range that are metric.

Apologies for any confusion.

Oops. My bad. I appreciate the clarification.

A quick check of the PRS accessories store shows that their standard pot is an 18 spline (or appears so to my aging eyes!)

An online search appears to show the G pot is the same, so you will probably be ok with US speed knobs.

EDIT: just re-read my answer and the part about a G pot looks a little dubious;)

A quick check of the PRS accessories store shows that their standard pot is an 18 spline (or appears so to my aging eyes!)

An online search appears to show the G pot is the same, so you will probably be ok with US speed knobs.

EDIT: just re-read my answer and the part about a G pot looks a little dubious;)
I, um, spotted that too!

Back