NGD (Again!) - 2020 DC 594 in Charcoal!

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
Okay, so I warned you guys that my next conquest would be a 2020 spec *DC* 594, wanted to compare a 2020 DC to my 2 amazing 2020 SCs.

Well, here it is! I found a killer Charcoal one, with a great 10 Top. I love this Charcoal finish, with the Natural Back! As I said last time, it is somehow vintage and somewhat modern at the same time.

QzOrgIX.jpg

9rrA0Af.jpg

lQBXpwi.jpg

nStNPKC.jpg

HbXUuLQ.jpg

z0xyQty.jpg

Another reason to grab the Charcoal-finished one is because it matches my HXDA Head so well! :)

uCwgo9O.jpg

G23ExAU.jpg

It plays and sounds GREAT!

The 2020 594s and the HXDA are a match made in heaven...

Nice guitar. Where are you finding all the these 2020 models. I haven’t seen one up for sale yet.

Great score, Pete! Man, Mario must be happy to see you back in stride. Can't wait to check this one out. How's it compare to the SC, tone wise?

It’s so charcoal it almost looks blue. Beautiful! Perfect match with the amp, too.

Thanks! You are correct in that there is a hint of blue in the finish, that is the case in real life as well, with both Charcoal guitars. I really dig this finish - gorgeous!!

Nice guitar. Where are you finding all the these 2020 models. I haven’t seen one up for sale yet.

It takes painstaking searching. I would tell you guys my methods, but for now I intend to hoard them all for myself, so I can't share that top secret information! :)

Looking great! Let us know what you think of the single coil split TCI’S Congrats!

Will do! I am getting some of the Chicago crew together in a couple of weeks for a "594Fest" with my new collection plus others, and a broad set of amps. We will provide a full report! ;)

BTW. I like that pedal board, F Velcro! You use tie wraps. What pedal board base is that?

https://www.holeyboardpedalboards.com/holeyboards

I love these pedalboards! I have several, and have used his different incarnations for several years now. They are modular, you can connect two together (and there is a side attachment for a Wah pedal), which I do for my larger board in my main guitar room. That little board in the pic is for Humbucker guitars for the Plexi style amp Grissom method of a Single Channel Amp, just Boosts, ODs and a Reverb and Delay (plus my wireless and tuner). I mostly just use the EP Booster and the Reverb, with the Humbucker guitars I dig just the Guitar and the Amp, with a hint of Reverb. The bigger board is set up for Strat style guitars too, with Fuzz, Wah, Vibe, etc., in addition to Boosts, OD, Reverb and Delay.

I prefer using the zip-ties versus velcro, you don't trash the pedals and impact resale of them later in trying different pedals.

You can also mount power supplies underneath or behind the back shelf, which is awesome!

Very nice.
What are you getting next week?

I do have one more thing I am thinking about - stay tuned!! :)

Great score, Pete! Man, Mario must be happy to see you back in stride. Can't wait to check this one out. How's it compare to the SC, tone wise?

Yes, Mario is glad to see me back in action! He may join for 594Fest. [For reference for the crew here - he is my local guitar tech, great guy and great tech. Bodia uses him as well.]

With regards to comparison to the SC - I find it is a similar delta as the 2017's in comparison, both Private Stocks and Core/WL - that the SCs have just a little "more" mojo going on. That said, these three 2020s are at a much higher level and more consistent than the 2016s/2017s I think - with the Nitro finish, TCI pickups, they compare in tone and feel more so to the 2016/2017 Private Stocks in my opinion. The delta between the Private Stock and the Core guitars is GREATLY diminished. I think the Nitro makes a difference, these pickups are amazing, and the sum of the changes including the new tuners and the bridge tweaks seems to make them more consistently great IMO.

I think also that "more" delta the SC has over the DC is diminished as well, I was very pleasantly surprised with the tone and mojo of this DC. I need to play a couple more 2020 DCs to be sure! :)

Of course the DC has a huge ergonomic benefit, especially when playing out. I have a gig now scheduled for Jan 2021 that I will be prepping for over the remainder of 2020, and I definitely will be using a DC...

Another point - at this stage I have zero plans of taking any of these 2020 TCI'ed pickups out of these 3 2020 guitars, they all sound terrific. I won't be taking the LT+'s out of the Charcoal SC to put into the 2016 PS SC Prototype, I have another set of low output PAFs on order to put in there (non-PRS) to compare, I hope to have them in there by 594Fest...

Yes, Mario is glad to see me back in action! He may join for 594Fest. [For reference for the crew here - he is my local guitar tech, great guy and great tech. Bodia uses him as well.]

With regards to comparison to the SC - I find it is a similar delta as the 2017's in comparison, both Private Stocks and Core/WL - that the SCs have just a little "more" mojo going on. That said, these three 2020s are at a much higher level and more consistent than the 2016s/2017s I think - with the Nitro finish, TCI pickups, they compare in tone and feel more so to the 2016/2017 Private Stocks in my opinion. The delta between the Private Stock and the Core guitars is GREATLY diminished. I think the Nitro makes a difference, these pickups are amazing, and the sum of the changes including the new tuners and the bridge tweaks seems to make them more consistently great IMO.

I think also that "more" delta the SC has over the DC is diminished as well, I was very pleasantly surprised with the tone and mojo of this DC. I need to play a couple more 2020 DCs to be sure! :)

Of course the DC has a huge ergonomic benefit, especially when playing out. I have a gig now scheduled for Jan 2021 that I will be prepping for over the remainder of 2020, and I definitely will be using a DC...

Another point - at this stage I have zero plans of taking any of these 2020 TCI'ed pickups out of these 3 2020 guitars, they all sound terrific. I won't be taking the LT+'s out of the Charcoal SC to put into the 2016 PS SC Prototype, I have another set of low output PAFs on order to put in there (non-PRS) to compare, I hope to have them in there by 594Fest...
Cool! That's all great to hear. Glad that you feel there is that much improvement with the newly implemented changes.

May i ask what non-PRS pickups your are going to put in the 2016 SC Prototype?

Back