NGD & a Re-Introduction

There are a lot of the WiFi 2.4 (hz, ghz, mhz???) Systems out there a lot cheaper than these now. At the time I don’t think there were. There are also some newer ones using the 5.8 WiFi band that are supposed to be somewhat more immune from interference. Most of the 5.8 wireless also work well with active electronics - the xvive doesn’t work with active electronics at all. I have an acoustic with active electronics that won’t work with it, but I plug it in roughly never, so it’s not an issue to me. But something to be aware of.

I bought one of the 2.4 ghz systems for “sweetie money” and it’s great. The range isn’t huge, but for not falling over a lead it’s great!

The other guitarist and I run the same system and according to the blurb, you can run 6 different ones on stage.

Hi Ray. I joined the forum while you were inactive. So I can’t say welcome back. But it’s nice to forum-meet you!

Regarding the potential neck issues with the SS vs RC, I have to admit that I never encountered any neck issues that I thought be attributable to the radius. But I’d be worried about the RC’s missing last fret.

Seriously, both are sweet. It sounds like you have great reasons to keep both. I vote for an update some day about the attention each one gets or whether the RC has made it back to the wall.

Welcome back, Ray.............time to make trouble.............. have you tried an S2 Vela?
No, but I looked extensively through the PRS lineup when I was having the leg-cut comfort issue with the 594 and the Vela appears to have the same issue, so I'm not inclined to try it. AND, the whole point of this downsizing is I just never find myself playing anything but a strat when there's a strat available. Evidently, unlike most folks online, I don't like choices! Or options! For 25 years I had a strat and a D28 and nothing else. I think I'm reverting to that but with an extra acoustic - a carbon fiber that I can leave on the wall in any conditions, temperature and humidity be damned... And a Martin I pull out when conditions are conducive to it.

-Ray

Welcome back and congrats on the SS.

The 2 & 4s are a bit less quacky to my ears as well, but they also have a fullness to them that I hadn't encountered before.

Agree about 3!
Turns out if you lower the middle pickup a couple of turns, there's quack to be had! It's not extreme, but it's a noticeable and welcome difference. And you don't lose much volume at all from the 2-3-4 positions that use the middle. You definitely gain way more in quack than you lose in volume. Worth it for me in any case. Makes me like this guitar a lot closer to unconditionally now!

-Ray

Yeah, I totally get "One guitar" guys...probably wont be me any time soon, but I get it.
(They're usually seriously good players, too!!!)
Nice Set, Ray.
I’m not a seriously good player, It just seems like I have a sound in my head of what an electric guitar is supposed to sound like, and I’ve always gotten very close to that with anything I’ve played. I always sounded about the same so what’s the point of lots of guitars? Part of titis that I’m NOT a versatile enough player to take advantage of all of the sounds available through multiple guitars and amps, so why have them. I KNOW strats, I know all of their sounds and where to find them and it’s kind of instinctive at this point. And they have some sounds or accents that I do use a lot, that I can’t get on any other guitar. The 4 position on a strat is where I LIVE and I can only really get that on a strat. And lots of visits to the 2 and 5, which are also pretty unique to strats. And, hey, on the Silver Sky, the 1 and 3 aregood enough I may find myself using them sometimes too...

I think it’s more about my limits than my skill, but in any case it definitely unclutters my head and makes me think about what I’m gonna PLAY rather than thinking about WHAT I’m gonna play...

-Ray

There are no ducks on a PRS birds fretboard.

No ducks, no quacks.

“Brilliant deduction, Holmes!”

“Call me Les, OK?”

But there could be a crow!

That’s what she said. (I had to beat a certain Scotsman with the line) ;)

You! I had a mouthful of coffee! Thanks for the giggle :D

I think it’s more about my limits than my skill, but in any case it definitely unclutters my head and makes me think about what I’m gonna PLAY rather than thinking about WHAT I’m gonna play...

-Ray

Bah!

Different instruments can just as easily be an inspiration to play creatively. It balances out.

Bah!

Different instruments can just as easily be an inspiration to play creatively. It balances out.
For those who it does, more power (and more guitars) to you. I just never found it worked that way for me. It might the first few times I played a new guitar with different pickups, but after a couple weeks I just sounded like me but not sounding quite as good to my ears. For me it ended up just cluttering my mind, rather than inspiring creativity. On some days, my creative juices are flowing, on others they're not. A new guitar might jump start that once in a while, but just a different guitar that I'm already familiar with rarely if ever does. For me. Not projecting this onto anybody else... I'm a pretty limited player but I like the kind of stuff I do decently well. I just don't need a lot of tools to do it...

-Ray

For those who it does, more power (and more guitars) to you. I just never found it worked that way for me. It might the first few times I played a new guitar with different pickups, but after a couple weeks I just sounded like me but not sounding quite as good to my ears. For me it ended up just cluttering my mind, rather than inspiring creativity. On some days, my creative juices are flowing, on others they're not. A new guitar might jump start that once in a while, but just a different guitar that I'm already familiar with rarely if ever does. For me. Not projecting this onto anybody else... I'm a pretty limited player but I like the kind of stuff I do decently well. I just don't need a lot of tools to do it...

-Ray

Bah!

I’m just pulling your chain with the “bah” stuff. I’ve had just one electric at many times in my long career for the very reasons you state, and have said so here.

Lately I’ve felt differently, but who says anyone needs to be consistent when it comes to artistic work?

For my orchestral scoring, I’ve latched onto so many string libraries I need to start cutting back. But where to begin? Each one gets me writing different music!

Bah!

I’m just pulling your chain with the “bah” stuff. I’ve had just one electric at many times in my long career for the very reasons you state, and have said so here.

Lately I’ve felt differently, but who says anyone needs to be consistent when it comes to artistic work?

For my orchestral scoring, I’ve latched onto so many string libraries I need to start cutting back. But where to begin? Each one gets me writing different music!
You said “for my orchestral scoring”. I can safely say I will NEVER EVER. EVER use that phrase in any sentence without quotes around it. I, OTOH, have said will again say, “in my loose blues jamming”. This alone is illustrative of why we would be very likely to have enormously different needs for the palette of sounds we are likely to need... Not to say that you haven’t gotten by with one guitar at times and that I haven’t happily owned 3 at a time without serious incident, but we’re coming at this from very VERY different places! And more power to both of us!

You said “for my orchestral scoring”. I can safely say I will NEVER EVER. EVER use that phrase in any sentence without quotes around it. I, OTOH, have said will again say, “in my loose blues jamming”. This alone is illustrative of why we would be very likely to have enormously different needs for the palette of sounds we are likely to need... Not to say that you haven’t gotten by with one guitar at times and that I haven’t happily owned 3 at a time without serious incident, but we’re coming at this from very VERY different places! And more power to both of us!

People vastly overestimate the skills needed for orchestral stuff, like it’s some kind of mystical thing.

Anyone can learn to do it.

People vastly overestimate the skills needed for orchestral stuff, like it’s some kind of mystical thing.

Anyone can learn to do it.
I don’t doubt it but you’re wired very differently than I am to have even considered the possibility back when it first crossed your mind... People are into different things, different strokes, different tools, etc. I had a LOT of bicycles when I was younger and into that, and I rode em all a lot and used them for their very different intended purposes, and I kept them all running really well. I’m a far more limited musician and more guitars just felt like dead weight to me...

Last edited:
Back