NGD: A new to me Core Custom 24

amarkabove

After owning and loving an S2 Cu22 Semi-Hollow for years, I've always wanted to add a Core model to my guitar arsenal, but have never been able to find one that I loved enough to finally swallow the cost. But on a regular Reverb hunt I found a 2003 Custom 24 that absolutely spoke to me and had enough visual imperfections that it was at a palatable price point. Had the 5 way rotary I was looking for, a wide thin neck, and most importantly that core carve. The finish on the back at the heel is quite cloudy, but that does nothing to affect the sound or playability of this beast. I fear this may be a slippery slope though...

Now OP have you noticed a difference in playability as far as basic quality between the 2?? I ask because I have 5 S2s and I've always wondered if I'm missing out by not owning a core....

Now OP have you noticed a difference in playability as far as basic quality between the 2?? I ask because I have 5 S2s and I've always wondered if I'm missing out by not owning a core....
The major difference is in the neck. The S2 has a pattern regular like almost all S2s and the core has a Wide Thin. Both have amazing playability, just different. At the moment the S2 actually stays in tune a bit better because the previous owner of the Cu24 tightened the trem all the way to the body and I prefer a bit of float so I’ve been trying to dial it back in and it still needs a bit of work.

Ha, I watched that guitar for months, and I even added it to my cart once or twice but never pulled the trigger! I kept waffling due to the rotary switch; in 24 years of playing, I have never used a rotary, and I couldn't find one locally to try. I didn't want to take the risk and not like the switching system.

Congrats, it looks awesome! I love that natural finish!

After owning and loving an S2 Cu22 Semi-Hollow for years, I've always wanted to add a Core model to my guitar arsenal, but have never been able to find one that I loved enough to finally swallow the cost. But on a regular Reverb hunt I found a 2003 Custom 24 that absolutely spoke to me and had enough visual imperfections that it was at a palatable price point. Had the 5 way rotary I was looking for, a wide thin neck, and most importantly that core carve. The finish on the back at the heel is quite cloudy, but that does nothing to affect the sound or playability of this beast. I fear this may be a slippery slope though...

I have seen a lot of guitars in the forum, and some are not for me, but this one is killer! Well done man.

Back