NGD! 98 CU24..And Seriously..Who does this to a guitar!??!

Cool story. If I may offer some advice, try using Hoppe's solvent (a gun cleaner) and a toothbrush on that grime. Wipe it down (preferably rinse with water to remove the solvent) then a LIGHT coat of oil. That will really help cut that crud. Enjoy!

Thought I would throw an update picture on here. All new electronics (I prefer the toggle with the coil tap and the volume pot was corroded) and of course some new lampshade knobs!. I also bought some Planet Waves deep polish to try to restore some of the shine. I think my next move is some Phase II tuners. Anyone know if they are a direct drop in?

10120280774_0b7c744a24_c.jpg

Very Nice score!! I think purple is my favorite 90s color.
I'm pretty sure that crap in the bridge was smoke and dead skin cells. I've got a friend, who isn't allowed to touch my guitars, that would rust pickup screws out like that in a year. He has to use elixers or his strings rust apart in 3 days

I had a friend in college that had a similar effect on guitars. I let him play my strat once, it had a brand new set of strings on it, and he trashed them in about 2 hours. Not that it was his fault, or that he was trying, but they were corroded and had the little stalactites of grime hanging from them by the time he was done. Pretty sure that's what the junk in the trem plate is too. Anyways, his playing session came to a stop when he broke a string... I can leave a set of strings on for a month and have hardly any corrosion, and I can probably count on one hand the number of strings I've broken while playing.

Looks like it cleaned up pretty well, I dig the lampshade knobs. I totally know what you mean about having that "beater" guitar to not have to worry about getting it banged up and what-not. I bought my 2008 used and it was all beat up, scratched, and a little dirty. Typically I baby my guitars - wipe 'em down after practices and playing sessions, clean them up before I take 'em anywhere. But my first American model I bought was from a shop and luckily it didn't have any of that mystery-residue on it. I'll tell you what though, that thing plays amazing!!! Sometimes I think it's those old beat up guitars that have been worn in that really boast their own character and tone. One day, I probably will send mine into the PTC, but I have a brand new CU24 to baby right now. Nice score, enjoy!!!

Thought I would throw an update picture on here. All new electronics (I prefer the toggle with the coil tap and the volume pot was corroded) and of course some new lampshade knobs!. I also bought some Planet Waves deep polish to try to restore some of the shine. I think my next move is some Phase II tuners. Anyone know if they are a direct drop in?

10120280774_0b7c744a24_c.jpg

Excellent photo. Really shows off how nice that color is.

Looks like it cleaned up pretty well, I dig the lampshade knobs. I totally know what you mean about having that "beater" guitar to not have to worry about getting it banged up and what-not. I bought my 2008 used and it was all beat up, scratched, and a little dirty. Typically I baby my guitars - wipe 'em down after practices and playing sessions, clean them up before I take 'em anywhere. But my first American model I bought was from a shop and luckily it didn't have any of that mystery-residue on it. I'll tell you what though, that thing plays amazing!!! Sometimes I think it's those old beat up guitars that have been worn in that really boast their own character and tone. One day, I probably will send mine into the PTC, but I have a brand new CU24 to baby right now. Nice score, enjoy!!!

I've had visions of the PTC but it feels so good, it does feel broken in to me. I hate dings and scratches so to have a guitar like this is very odd for me, I still want to get it looking as perfect as possible, but it's good to know if something happens I won't freak and my Paul's Guitar can stay safe!

Oh, and the picture is just me using an iphone 5!

I think my next move is some Phase II tuners. Anyone know if they are a direct drop in?

If the tuning keys for the D and G strings share a screw on the back of the headstock, then no. But if they have individual screws, then yes, they should be a direct drop-in. I had a 1999 Cu24 with winged tuners that I swapped out for Phase II tuners. When I decided to sell the guitar I put the old ones back on.

If you have the shared screw, all is not lost; the PTC can actually disassemble the tuning keys and put new parts into them to turn them into Phase II.

If the tuning keys for the D and G strings share a screw on the back of the head-stock, then no. But if they have individual screws, then yes, they should be a direct drop-in. I had a 1999 Cu24 with winged tuners that I swapped out for Phase II tuners. When I decided to sell the guitar I put the old ones back on.

If you have the shared screw, all is not lost; the PTC can actually disassemble the tuning keys and put new parts into them to turn them into Phase II.
Man it would be sweet if they offered phase II tuners for the vintage tuner swap-out. Not sure I want to pay for a disassemble, not sure what cost is and if it is justifiable (either way).

Last edited:
Awesome post. That's a great looking CU24. I'd leave her road worn, as long as she's cleaned up and plays good that's all that matters.

Uhh what IS that stuff?
Actually, I believe that is an ideal example of this stuff I see referred to as 'mojo' on this and other forums. I've sure read a lot about it, but as far as I know, this may be the first actual hard evidence of its existence! ; - )

If the tuning keys for the D and G strings share a screw on the back of the headstock, then no. But if they have individual screws, then yes, they should be a direct drop-in. I had a 1999 Cu24 with winged tuners that I swapped out for Phase II tuners. When I decided to sell the guitar I put the old ones back on.

They are not a shared screw so I think I should be ok??

Back