NGD! 98 CU24..And Seriously..Who does this to a guitar!??!

S

slang05

Ok. A little background before I get started....Been doing more trading then I should lately and found myself with a Jackson PC1 (Phil Collen Model) and a USA Deluxe Fender Strat. Really liked them both especially the PC1. So I am off Thursday playing them both when I decide to pull out my PRS Paul's Guitar. WOW! What an astonishing moment! The Paul's guitar felt and sounded like perfection. I felt a little stupid for owning anything other than a PRS. I told my wife "why I monkey around with any guitars besides PRS is beyond me". Now, the PC1 is pretty awesome plus it was able to hold its own with the Paul's guitar (a lot like a Buick would with a Lexus..if you get my drift) but the Deluxe Strat felt like a Pinto next the PRS, so about 30 minutes later the Deluxe Strat was on Craigslist. My best case scenario..a CE22 maybe??

So I get a call from a guy who says he has a Custom 24, birds, ten top he'd trade me if I throw him $800 to even out the deal. Sounded like a fair deal to me for a nice CU24, so I agreed. We meet in a Walmart parking lot (like a lot of trades) and he pulls out this beat up case with stickers all over it. I knew right then it was not going to be good. Now, keep in mind the guy said that it had been played so it had a few dings, he said used but not abused. Well when he opened up the case, I was actually a little mad. Beneath on the Walmart parking lot was a beat to heck, dirty as heck, abused guitar laying in this nasty case. :mad:

So I pointed out to him the errors of his ways and his misconceptions about the guitar and told him I wasn't interested in a deal unless it was a straight trade. To make a long story short (is that possible now??) he keep coming back with a bit less cash and I keep saying no until he agreed to an even trade. I wasn't trying to chew him down or anything, I just wasn't going to do the deal unless I felt good about it. And to be honest, I wasn't even certain an even trade was a good deal!. But the neck and frets felt good and it seemed solid so I figured why not. Can a guy really go wrong trading a Strat for a beat up Custom 24??

Brought it home and cleaned and cleaned on it (check out the picture of the bridge once I removed the saddles). Changed out the 5 way rotary for a 3 way with coil tap and ordered new knobs but honestly there isn't much I can do to make this look really good. But the most important thing is that it plays great and sounds great too and I have a guitar that I can take everywhere that I don't have to stress too much about getting banged up!

Oh I forgot to mention, I actually think I owned this guitar about 10-12 years ago. There was an "URGE" sticker on the case that I had on my case when 1 owned a purple Custom 24 back in 2001..SO maybe! Looks the same

YIKES!!
9986229345_29517914c9_z.jpg

9986211994_c54e2bcf46_z.jpg

9985933123_953122c343_z.jpg

9985859136_413737b4dc_z.jpg

Beauty of a guitar. Sounds like you won. A little elbow grease can go a long way.

I bet it feels good to have that back!

Love the uncovered pickups and the black rings.

I have no idea what that junk was! Some sort of corrosion?? Hardened sweat?

It's really in not as nice shape as the pictures show, lots of dings and the back is scratched up pretty good, but it doesn't affect the sound or the way it plays! How do pickup ring screws rust out? I don't get it!

Well, the important thing is that it's a good sounding player. So good deal!

You could always send it to the PTC and have it be 1998 again!

Great score.....seems like built up dust or something in the bridge. It's been loved, that's forsure .

Ok don't hit me lol

Ptc would doing an amazing job restoring it.....

I wondered how long it would take before someone mentioned the PTC! Lol. Of course they would make this guitar into an amazing instrument but I'm not sure I could afford their work! In order to make it worth while it would need all new hardware and pickups plus a refinish. I would think that would creep up the price to the point where I could buy a slightly used Custom 24 in mint shape.

It's a nice thought but there is definitely something cool about having it in this shape. It's been beaten and abused so now it just needs some tlc!

Edit *I did not mean to imply that the PTC is overpriced! Heck no! Im convinced by what I have seen that it's 80% craftsmanship and 20% black magic! Amazing work by very talented individuals! I would trust any piece of gear with them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice score!! I think purple is my favorite 90s color.
I'm pretty sure that crap in the bridge was smoke and dead skin cells. I've got a friend, who isn't allowed to touch my guitars, that would rust pickup screws out like that in a year. He has to use elixers or his strings rust apart in 3 days

Looks great in the pics
Nice score anytime you can trade a PRS for a Strat I think you would end up ahead ( IMHO )
I would get a quote from Shaun ( PTC ) just to know that guitar would be worth it

Nice boomerang...keep hoping that my original 1992 CU24 will come back to me someday...

Every time I try to get a Maryland "beater" it turns out to be way too nice, and I have to get another beater. I am sick.

Enjoy! Great top!

Very Nice score!! I think purple is my favorite 90s color.
I'm pretty sure that crap in the bridge was smoke and dead skin cells. I've got a friend, who isn't allowed to touch my guitars, that would rust pickup screws out like that in a year. He has to use elixers or his strings rust apart in 3 days

That is gross! I am a little bothered now that I had to clean it up! lol

Been playing it all day..Can't seem to put it down!

Funny story, and nice score. Nicks and dings are OK. It's nice to have an awesome sounding and playing guitar you won't freak out over when the stage gets rushed by topless coeds!

Funny story, and nice score. Nicks and dings are OK. It's nice to have an awesome sounding and playing guitar you won't freak out over when the stage gets rushed by topless coeds!

Topless coeds?!? Yeah, I don't think so. My playing usually has them rushing for the exits! lol

I think the coolest thing here is that it might have originally been yours... :beer:

True that.. I am almost certain it was. It just has a very distinct look to it, plus late 90's purple PRS guitars like this don't grow on trees. The other thing is I live in podunk town. PRS guitars are not very prevalent here. The Guitar Center here in town doesn't even carry PRS.

Back