NGD 594 Thinline. McCarty bridge question

Dan87

Firstly sorry to Admin for linking Imgur pics to my new axe without adhering to the 3 post rule. And it clearly states that on the forum rules. My original post was therefore removed.

I have my new PRS 594 Thinline. I had tried a couple in store and knew I had to get one. I'm an SG guy usually and love a lightweight guitar. This Thinline fits the bill and is extremely playable and versatile. I haven't put it down!

I'm interested to know what experience others have with the McCarty 594 two piece bridge system. When the strings are off the guitar there is a small amount of play on the bridge posts and the height adjustment wheels. This means when the guitar is tuned to pitch the bridge and saddles have a slight tilt toward the neck.

PRS customer service are great and someone reached out and said that the bridge is supposed to be level with the neck. Everything looks as it should be but I'm also interested in other people's experience with this setup.

I don't think I'll change anything on the Thinline and the stock pickups are actually really versatile. Maybe some hotter pups from the likes of BKP in the future just for experiments sake

Cheers!

Dan

Never has any issue with the bridge. Not much lean at all, unlike Stoptails. Apply some painter tape on top of the thumbwheel when changing strings to prevent any accidental turns of the dials. Congrats on the new guitar.

Thanks for the tip. This is my third post now so i'll add a couple of pictures to this thread :)

Sweet guitar! They’ve been using the bridge/tail piece for over a decade. I really like it, and have never had an issue with it.
Thanks! I've never had any experience with one apart from the Gibson design which is somewhat similar to a point. Can't see anything to go wrong with it but am just curious as to whether there is supposed to be a little bit of play in it/ the forward lean toward the neck

I just looked at both of my 594's and do not see a similar lean to the bridge on either of them. It looks very slight in your picture. I also do not observe much play in the bridge when changing strings. It is a rather snug fit.

I just looked at both of my 594's and do not see a similar lean to the bridge on either of them. It looks very slight in your picture. I also do not observe much play in the bridge when changing strings. It is a rather snug fit.
Are your 594s maple capped? I might be wrong but the thinner body of the Thinline might be the reason the tilt seems more apparent. The body slants away from the neck rather like an SG

Are your 594s maple capped? I might be wrong but the thinner body of the Thinline might be the reason the tilt seems more apparent. The body slants away from the neck rather like an SG
That is a good point. Both of mine are core models. You make a good point about the body thickness.

Here's mine. I suppose I can look hard at it and see that the bridge tilts a little. The tailpiece is down hard on the body and I think that ain't going anywhere. I'm really happy with this guitar, though please excuse the dust!

thinline-tilt-notilt.jpg

Here's mine. I suppose I can look hard at it and see that the bridge tilts a little. The tailpiece is down hard on the body and I think that ain't going anywhere. I'm really happy with this guitar, though please excuse the dust!

thinline-tilt-notilt.jpg
Looks similar to mine although mine is set a bit higher than yours. Your action must be super low :)

OP I have your identical guitar in no nonsense black lol...no bridge lean for me at all....mine weighs around 5lbs btw!

Congrats on your McThinline, I'm sure you'll love it, and your all black is truly classic. The two-piece bridge is a new hardware config for me, and upon first string change, I thought the tailpiece (which floated above the guitar) needed to be tightened down flat against the wood. Turns out that's not true. I wonder if there is any spec to how high that piece is supposed to be, and if there should be a difference bass side vs treble. Anybody want to weigh in on this?

Back