NGD 594 Soapy finally made it

Oh yeah...
Worked from home today, and the Fedex guy just left.
Got some pics and plugged it in.
This thing is HOT!!! Loud!
:D

Feels great, wonderfully balanced.
Neck feels lovely too.
So open and articulate. Just in time for practice tonight!:cool:
Congratulations. That is one hot guitar and the color is the same as my 594. It must be the "green"! I had a chance to play a 594 with P-90's recently. You are going to really like your new friend.

Congratulations. That is one hot guitar and the color is the same as my 594. It must be the "green"! I had a chance to play a 594 with P-90's recently. You are going to really like your new friend.
Thank you sir!
So far it's been a love affair. The gritty growl of these soapies is right up my alley!:D

OK...
Zombie thread resurrection...
I just got home from practice. DAYUM! I love this guitar! I spent some time adjusting/modifying some Friedman profiles specifically for this axe. The punch, clarity, and grit available on tap with just volume controls is phenomenal.
I used the same bank but modified it for the SS as well. Next I'll do it for the P22 buckers.
This 594 soapy is so much fun. It feels great. The PV neck is excellent. I find it amazing that I'm comfy with numerous PRS neck carves. It's not too heavy either. Well balanced.
Although I typically leave both tone controls maxed, it's awesome at getting such a wide range of tone combinations just using the individual volume controls along with the 3-way switch.
Once in a while we may or may not reconsider our GAS induced purchases... Not this time!:D:cool:

OK...
...Although I typically leave both tone controls maxed, it's awesome at getting such a wide range of tone combinations just using the individual volume controls along with the 3-way switch.

Now imagine how many more tones are available when you do decide to play with the tone knob! P90's are the secret weapon of tone...:cool:

Now imagine how many more tones are available when you do decide to play with the tone knob! P90's are the secret weapon of tone...:cool:
OMG... still buzzing from last night. You were/are right Joseph. These things are amazing. If I'm not mistaken, a P90 type pup is one of the oldest designs around, like 1939 or so. Obviously things have been refined/improved, but again... DAYUM...
I'm smitten.:D

+1. I saw a Joe Bonamassa video where he illustrates the world of possibilities that is opened if you play with the tone knob. After I saw that I starter using it more often and man am I happy I did. I ended up loving my guitars even more, especially my McCarty.

I'm dying to try out a 594. I haven't tried a Pattern Vintage neck profile, but among the ones I've tried, contrary to my expectations, the pattern neck on my McCarty has become my favorite PRS neck profile. Before I started playing PRSi I played mostly slimmer Gibson necks (slim-taper & 60's neck). Prior to trying the 3 most common PRS neck profiles, I actually expected the Pattern Thin to become my favorite. However, I was completely wrong. It turned out that although I like the Pattern thin a lot, it is actually my least favorite among PRS neck profile. Nothing wrong the Pattern Thin, I just like the Patter and Pattern Regular better. Interestingly, the Pattern is a hair chunkier than the Pattern regular, but because of the shape of the carve on the Pattern I don't feel the thickness of the neck as much as on the Pattern Regular. What's attracting me about the 594 is the Pattern Vintage neck. I absolutely love the asymmetrical slim-tapered carve on Gibson High Performance models, though I prefer the fretboard width on their standard slim-tapered necks. Because the Pattern Vintage also has an asymmetrical carve, I conjecture I'll like it even more than the Pattern profile. It's hard to imagine that I'd like any guitar more than my McCarty, but if there is one guitar out there that might surpass my McCarty it would have to be a 594, especially if it's on the lighter side.

+1. I saw a Joe Bonamassa video where he illustrates the world of possibilities that is opened if you play with the tone knob. After I saw that I starter using it more often and man am I happy I did. I ended up loving my guitars even more, especially my McCarty.

I'm dying to try out a 594. I haven't tried a Pattern Vintage neck profile, but among the ones I've tried, contrary to my expectations, the pattern neck on my McCarty has become my favorite PRS neck profile. Before I started playing PRSi I played mostly slimmer Gibson necks (slim-taper & 60's neck). Prior to trying the 3 most common PRS neck profiles, I actually expected the Pattern Thin to become my favorite. However, I was completely wrong. It turned out that although I like the Pattern thin a lot, it is actually my least favorite among PRS neck profile. Nothing wrong the Pattern Thin, I just like the Patter and Pattern Regular better. Interestingly, the Pattern is a hair chunkier than the Pattern regular, but because of the shape of the carve on the Pattern I don't feel the thickness of the neck as much as on the Pattern Regular. What's attracting me about the 594 is the Pattern Vintage neck. I absolutely love the asymmetrical slim-tapered carve on Gibson High Performance models, though I prefer the fretboard width on their standard slim-tapered necks. Because the Pattern Vintage also has an asymmetrical carve, I conjecture I'll like it even more than the Pattern profile. It's hard to imagine that I'd like any guitar more than my McCarty, but if there is one guitar out there that might surpass my McCarty it would have to be a 594, especially if it's on the lighter side.
Like you, I don't mind Pattern thin/wide thin, but I prefer others.
The PV is amazing. I like wide fat, but I like PV more. A couple of minutes on any of them and I'm OK, but PV, and the carve on the Silver Sky are wonderful, as is the Pattern regular on my P22.

For me it's a matter of seconds when I switch guitars around. One of the amazing things about PRS is how comfortable their necks are. I'm not a big Fender guy, mostly because I'm more of a humbuckers and P90s guy. However, one of the things that I always had to give it to Fender was how comfortable their guitars necks are. They have very simple build, but they seem to spend a lot of time with making necks comfortable and easy to play. I think PRS arguably outdid Fender in that regard. Not a dis on Fender, but a huge statement about PRS.

I try to practice every day, and I tend to play a different guitar each day, sometimes two guitars in one day. I like my McCarty so much, I tend to play it every other day or every two days. It's just that when it's McCarty day it's a happy day. It's like when you put on your favorite old pair of jeans or when you get home from work and you take your very comfortable everyday shoes off and put a very beat down comfortable slipper or sandals. That's how I feel with the McCarty and to be fair with one of my LPs as well. However, I usually feel pretty comfortable with any of the PRS neck profiles and have only a few negligible seconds of adjusting when I go between guitars with different neck carves.

In addition to the tone knob, the volume knob creates another universe of tones, partly because of the way the front end of tube amps responds to changes in gain with grit, compression, fatness or thinning out the low midrange, etc.

You probably know this already, though.

Oh absolutely. The reason I mention the tone control and left the volume control out is that I feel that playing with volume control on a guitar is more well known. However, you're absolutely right. Different combination of volume and tone knob positions provides a plethora of beautiful sounds. Also, it's a very simple and fun thing to play with and don't get in the way of your actual guitar playing.

You guys are singing my tune. I think the volume knob is more dynamic in terms of tone than the "tone" knob is.

The volume knob on the amp is for loudness. The volume knob on the guitar is for the amplitude of the signal you want to hit the amp with. The tone knob determines the shape of the signal and the volume knob determines the size of the signal.

I have a Soapbar II Maple, it’s a wonderful guitar. It sounds pretty darned good as is, but maybe a bridge and/or pup ugrade could make it better. The SE P90s are ok, but there are better aftermarket versions. The bridge has a little tilt, but no sitar sounds so far.

I have a Soapbar II Maple, it’s a wonderful guitar. It sounds pretty darned good as is, but maybe a bridge and/or pup ugrade could make it better. The SE P90s are ok, but there are better aftermarket versions. The bridge has a little tilt, but no sitar sounds so far.
I have one too. Not gonna change a thing...

Back