NGD: 53/10 Limited

Seems like there are a few 53/10 limited owners here. Great guitars. Cousins of the dirty 100 which are always popular too

So what's a 53/10?

Is that a CU body or a McCarty body, or something totally different?

So what's a 53/10?

Is that a CU body or a McCarty body, or something totally different?
It's a limited edition of 100 guitars, made in 2010 to launch the 53/10 pickups, which were the lowest output of the 5x/xx of that era.
They have selected mahogany bodies, Peruvian mahogany necks, private stock quilted maple tops and satin nitrocellulose finish (pf09 as PRS calls it). They are basically CU22 with McCarty switching. If PRS had started making the CU22 in the 50s rather than 80s, then this is the kind of thing that they'd have been.

Last edited:
Here’s one of the siblings. This was one of the cover girls in the PRS advert poster for this run. I had it glossed up by PTC. Your top is no doubt nicer though! ;)
mI9xgBx.jpg

Yeah they don't take long to gloss up.

Congrats! I like the 53/10s. One of my favorite neck HBs and the coil splits are terrific too.

Mine didn’t come with a satin finish though...

Here’s one of the siblings. This was one of the cover girls in the PRS advert poster for this run. I had it glossed up by PTC. Your top is no doubt nicer though! ;)
mI9xgBx.jpg

Glossy is where it’s at!;)

Sweet guitar!

Beautiful NGD!

I love the 53/10s, had a wonderful SC58 with them, and like an idiot, sold it. When I realized the lunacy of doing that, they were no longer made.

A little piece of me dies everytime I hear that alpha/numeric sequense...I feel your pain..I want an SC58 soooo much...but I too have the same issue with the dreaded "Cootie"(Sigh)

Maybe...just maybe... the guitar gods will have mercy on us and dig a couple of "Cootie Free" models outta the back room.

What? A boy can dream can't he?;)

Last edited:
Here's another sibling. One of the two natural ones that came to the UK
L92SL7d.jpg

Here's the world guitar video of this guitar

That sounds awesome. Like my dream Tele. So... what happened to the 53/10s? They ever put them in core model CU22s? I'd be interested in something like that, or in a Standard McCarty

That sounds awesome. Like my dream Tele. So... what happened to the 53/10s? They ever put them in core model CU22s? I'd be interested in something like that, or in a Standard McCarty
Yeah it does sound very Tele like in that video. It doesn't with me though, it's a warm sounding traditional classic humbucker through my setup. But then I did disconnect the treble bleed cap on mine and that stops some of that 'Tele' sound.
The 53/10s never made it to a core CU22 exactly, but they were on the piezo equipped p22 to begin with. Also I think one of the modern eagles had them as standard (Quattro?). What happened was that they ran out of the wire that they used to make them. They've saved the remaining stuff for private stocks

Last edited:

Waaaaaaaay...ahead of ya dude. I was one of the first 5 stalkers of the 40 stalking it. It really is special. It reminds me of a certain employee build (Shawns) that I still call the "Dreamsicle". It haunts my dreams man.

Back