NGD 509 Content, Family Photo & 509 MOD

Johan Allard

New Guitar Day! Yay!

My new PRS 509 arrived today. This Wood Library beauty features an awesome quilt top finished in Livingston Lemondrop, Korina body, flamed maple neck and Ebony fretboard. It's only been a couple of hours and so far I love this thing. I've been wanting a more strat-like PRS for a while and this delivers in spades (without being a full on copy – i.e. Silver Sky). It's the only 509 I've ever played so I don't know how it compares with others but with the slightly longer scale length, maple neck and ebony fretboard this is very bright and snappy. Exactly what I wanted.

509a.jpg

509b.jpg

2018a.jpg

Here's my current PRS collection, from left to right:

- Signature Limited (the limited edition model that later became the 408)
- 594 Artist with Korina body, Rosewood neck and Ebony fretboard.
- 509 Wood Library with Korina body, Maple Neck and Ebony Fretboard
- 594 Single Cut Wood Library with Rosewood Neck and Ebony Fretboard
- P245 Semi Hollow 10 Top

2018b.jpg

And here's the rest of the class of 2018. In front left to right:

- Les Paul Custom Shop Axcess
- Suhr Pro in Shoreline Gold
- Taylor T5z in Tasmanian Sassafras

With that, I think I'm sort of almost, nearly, maybe done. At least for a little while :)

509 Modification

Updated 23rd of April with a Mod I did before rehearsal yesterday.

Before playing PRS' I played Les Paul's almost exclusively and always had them dialled in with the neck tone on 10 (i.e. don't roll off any highs) and then the bridge tone set usually between 5-7 depending on guitar. I found it gave the guitar a very even frequency range. To mimic that on my 509 I disconnected the tone cap from the volume pot and soldered it on the 5 way switch on the bridge pickup lug. If you look at the picture below I removed the cap at the green blob and soldered it like on the blue line. What this does is that the tone knob now only works on the bridge pickup. The middle and neck are like they have the tone knob on 10 all the time. Definitely a lot more to my liking and easily reversible.

509_wiring.png

Last edited:
New Guitar Day! Yay!

My new PRS 509 arrived today. This Wood Library beauty features an awesome quilt top finished in Livingstone Lemondrop, Korina body, flamed aple neck and Ebony fretboard. It's always been a couple of hours and so far I love this thing. I've been wanting a more strat-like PRS for a while and this delivers in spades (without being a full on copy – i.e. Silver Sky). It's the only 509 I've ever played so I don't know how it compares with others but with the slightly longer scale length, maple neck and ebony fretboard this is very bright and snappy. Exactly what I wanted.

509a.jpg

509b.jpg

2018a.jpg

2018b.jpg

With that, I think I'm sort of almost, nearly, maybe done. At least for a little while :)

damn that should cover every single tone in the universe, nicely done wide array, you are going need one or two more guitars to fill in the rainbow, plenty of room for some red and green and purple guitars. now that the tone is covered cover the artistic color spectrum.

damn that should cover every single tone in the universe, nicely done wide array, you are going need one or two more guitars to fill in the rainbow, plenty of room for some red and green and purple guitars. now that the tone is covered cover the artistic color spectrum.

Hehehe, the wife is intrigued to pick some more guitars for me :) . When I decided I wanted to buy a 509, I searched Reverb for “PRS 509” on my iPad and got 26 hits, handed it over, asked which one I should buy secretly hoping that she’d pick the one Guitar of the Month Private Stock. I’m happy with this pick though :).

New Guitar Day! Yay!

My new PRS 509 arrived today. This Wood Library beauty features an awesome quilt top finished in Livingstone Lemondrop, Korina body, flamed aple neck and Ebony fretboard. It's always been a couple of hours and so far I love this thing. I've been wanting a more strat-like PRS for a while and this delivers in spades (without being a full on copy – i.e. Silver Sky). It's the only 509 I've ever played so I don't know how it compares with others but with the slightly longer scale length, maple neck and ebony fretboard this is very bright and snappy. Exactly what I wanted.

509a.jpg

509b.jpg

2018a.jpg

2018b.jpg

That top is beautiful and bubbly, congrats

Gorgeous guitar!

Korina is more mid-centered, like mahogany, but a little brighter. Swamp Ash has a more scooped midrange, at least that’s what I hear.

Thanks, I don’t own any Swamp Ash guitars so wouldn’t have any interesting comments to add, maybe someday I will :)

Gorgeous guitar!

Korina is more mid-centered, like mahogany, but a little brighter. Swamp Ash has a more scooped midrange, at least that’s what I hear.
That's been my experience as well. I would expect this one is a touch brighter than the GOTM version that I have with a bit more attack from the ebony board. In any case, it looks like a guitar that probably sounds like the PS for half the price, and that's freakin' awesome.

First rehearsal with my new 509 today and it was awesome. Loved it. I play lead guitar in a rock covers band and the 509 was great with every song we played. It just felt like home from the first song. The switching worked really well and was super easy to operate. Definitely a keeper!

Back