NGD: 408 SH Experience

polarbipolar

So this thing just landed at my door a couple of days ago. Did not have a chance to start a proper NGD thread until today.

It is a semi-hollow 408 in vintage sunburst created specifically for 2013 Experience event (limited to 50 or 100 guitars, I do not know honestly). The differences from your typical 408 are obviously semi-hollow design, ebony board and headstock overlay with a small vintage eagle inlay. IMHO, this one looks killer. This model was offered in 2 colors: black gold and vintage sunburst, and I really liked the latter more. 'Cause you can't really beat the good old burst, right?

Let me start by saying that this guitar has THE BEST cleans you can dream of. Period. I guess it might be due to the body being semi-hollow and ebony board combo. And I'm not talking about that stratty chimey crystal clean, but that clear round jazz clean. I didn't really expect that from 408! Did not notice any feedback problems so far. While this guitar is really versatile and can do anything up to metal, it clearly excels in clean/slightly overdriven tones. I expect to make a proper tone report video soon.

Now some photos for your dining pleasure:

2016-01-31-18.jpg

2016-01-31-18.31.jpg

2016-01-31-18.32.jpg

2016-01-31-18.33.jpg

Congrats on the 408 SH and the rest of the stable. I also have one in Vintage Sunburst, and it is indeed an amazing-sounding guitar. I think it's the combo of the body, and the ebony board, as you pointed out- really brings out some great qualities, esp. in the neck pickup IMO.

Congrats on the 408 SH and the rest of the stable. I also have one in Vintage Sunburst, and it is indeed an amazing-sounding guitar. I think it's the combo of the body, and the ebony board, as you pointed out- really brings out some great qualities, esp. in the neck pickup IMO.
Thanks a lot. I do agree about the neck pickup. I especially dig now the middle position with the neck being full humbucker and bridge tapped to single coil. Clean tone heaven!

Thanks, I've been very interested in specing out something like this. A tone report would be very much appreciated!

If this thing had a second f-hole it would be a solid 11/10

I hate you all!
Because looking at this thread made me not simply say "cool, gorgeous instrument"
but
"cool, gorgeous instrument, let me see if any others of these are available for sale"

GRRRR. I can't believe I am even half-seriously considering that kind of expenditure
:D

Btw, gorgeous instrument.

Back