NGD 4-1-2014 2014 PRS SE Zach Myers

Awesome! These definitely appear to be the current sweetheart SE. If I can get my hands one one to try, I will most likely buy, too. Keep the reviews and info coming!

I gotta ask, because I see folks doing it to a lot of guitars here, but especially the ZM: what shortcomings in the stock tuners do the Gotohs overcome? I've got a bunch of different guitars of varying "price points" including a Maryland made 2002 Custom 24 and a Korean made SE Baritone (just to hit the PRSes), and I can't say I've ever said to myself "this guitar needs better tuners".

Just curious...

Many of us myself included do not get these for tuning issues, but for ease of string changing.
I loathe non locking tuners as I do not like wrapping strings around the posts.
Lockers make it 100% easier to change strings.
Pull the string through, turn the lock wheel, and tune to pitch.

In the case of the ones on my ZM, no wheel to turn at all.
And the Planet Waves Autotrims on my other SEs the tuners cut the string for you.

Many of us myself included do not get these for tuning issues, but for ease of string changing.
I loathe non locking tuners as I do not like wrapping strings around the posts.
Lockers make it 100% easier to change strings.
Pull the string through, turn the lock wheel, and tune to pitch.

In the case of the ones on my ZM, no wheel to turn at all.
And the Planet Waves Autotrims on my other SEs the tuners cut the string for you.
Ah, OK. I guess I'm old-school enough, and undoubtedly old enough, to not realize that locking tuners are so useful. And autotrim just seems "so fancy it's eventually gonna fail and be a pain in the neck (well, headstock)" technology. I've somehow completely missed out on those new features.

So, I suppose I will leave my guitars stock with their tuners.

When growing up with guitars in the early 70s I had never heard of locking tuners.
But now that I am nearing 60 in a few years, anything that makes string changes easier is a big plus for me.

The Autotrim tuners are well built, have them on five of mine and my sons SE, and not one problem.
Just as reliable as the Phase IIIs on my 408.

OK, I made a video :D
I get very nervous when a camera is aimed at me, so I tend to flub up some.
All the tones are overdriven, I did not do anything clean.
Running it through a Blackstar ID 60 head into a Carvin 4x12 cabinet.
Used my Canon T5i camera on its highest HD setting for the video.

The drum app I am using can be found in the Google Play store.
Drum Beats+ Rhythm Machine

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I made a video :D
I get very nervous when a camera is aimed at me, so I tend to flub up some.
All the tones are overdriven, I did not do anything clean.
Running it through a Blackstar ID 60 head into a Carvin 4x12 cabinet.
Used my Canon T5i camera on its highest HD setting for the video.

The drum app I am using can be found in the Google Play store.
Drum Beats+ Rhythm Machine

Sweet! Nice sounding combination you've got there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Andy, Raymond.
I brought it to work today along with my Yamaha THR 10X, and I am jamming in the PC room here before work.
Lotta fun bringing in a guitar to work and being able to crank it up :D

Finally! Just received this from Guitar Center: Thank you for yourrecent inquiry. Regarding your back order for the Item#110005964-PRS SE ZachMyers Electric Guitar -(Trampas Green) We did receive a shipment of those inand your order should ship within 24-48 hours. At that time you will receive anemail with your tracking number. It looks like your order is shipping under theexpress ground method which will guarantee the delivery within 3-5 businessdays once it leaves our warehouse. We appreciate you choosing GuitarCenter.com.If you should have any questions, concerns or you're not 100% satisfied, pleasefeel free to reach out to your Guitar Center sales representative or yourpreferred Guitar Center retail location. We can’t thank you enough for choosingGuitar Center!

Hi JC, thanks, and these are truly a drop in tuner.
No drilling or reaming of the shaft hole.
These are Gotoh's, Allparts sells many tuner brands and repackages them it looks like.
My dealer said that they are Gotoh's.

Not sure if they are an SD90 or not, but these are the same that Les Paul users have been dropping into their guitars, and they happen to fit PRS''s perfectly.
The barcode scan tag says 6 45208 01737 7, and when I scanned the tag with my Smartphone, it showed them as Gotoh's.
Made in Japan too, not China.

thanks for the detailed response!!!

Well, it is official.
One of the truck drivers at work played my SE Santana and SE Tremonti Custom last week, and yesterday he played the ZM.
He likes the ZM the best out of all three.
And the satin neck really did it for him too.

How do they do the neck?
I know there is no polyurethane on it like the rest of the guitar, is it just stain?
And can I wax it like the rest of the guitar with my Virtuoso polish, or will it ruin the satin finish?

Hi, have one on pre-order from Sweetwater (yeah, I'm one of the many!) my question for those folks who've played/heard them is this: do they SOUND different from, say an SE 245, Bernie....etc? I'm kinda thinking/hoping thay may be a little more 'rounder' in tone due to the body.......anyone?

what do you think about these gotho SD90 Kluson tuners?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOTOH-SD90-...412?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c1e33998c
i have a doubt if i buy them or not because in the allparts web site the tuners for the ZM guitar doesnt specify if they are gotho, and i reaaly dont know if they will fit the guitar
heres the tuner af all parts
http://www.allparts.com/TK-0735-001-Locking-Tuners-Vintage-3x3-Nickel_p_3635.html

hope you can help me out here
[h=1][/h]
http://www.allparts.com/TK-0735-001-Locking-Tuners-Vintage-3x3-Nickel_p_3635.html
Those are the ones I had my dealer install, and he confirmed with me they are Gotoh's.

Back