NGD 4-1-2014 2014 PRS SE Zach Myers

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
2014 PRS SE Zach Myers

Well, I got hit by a severe case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) again after learning of the new PRS SE Zach Myers coming out.
Scale length and neck wise it is pretty much like my SE Santana at 24.5" scale, and a wide/fat neck.
I prefer the 25" scale length and a wide/thin pattern thin neck better, but this plays really nice.
Plus the neck has a satin finish on it which makes moving up and down the neck very easy, in fact it is very slick, I wish all necks were finished like this.

When I got my youngest son his 2012 SE Semi-Hollow back in September of 2012, I could not put it down.
The semi-hollow has a nice ring to it, and no feedback (unless you want it) when an amp is cranked up.

I had my dealer put on some vintage locking tuners as I wanted to keep the same look.
This is a departure for me since all of the other SEs I have bought I had the dealer put on the Planet Waves Autotrim locking tuners.
Had them put on a set of Ernie Ball Cobalts in 9-42 for me also, I run that gauge and brand on all of my guitars, they just feel right to me.
I also had them put on the Tonepro locking studs/inserts for two reasons:
1. Increased sustain, and it does sustain quite well.
2. String changing when I take them all off at once to clean the fret board the tail piece is locked down and will not fall off.
Had that happen to my '73 Les Paul decades ago.
The only other things I did was swap out the stock truss rod cover and put on the official PRS forum truss rod cover, and a set of Schaller Strap Locks which I run on all of my guitars.

I got to play it Thursday night (4-3) for the first time through one of my amps, and it sounds very nice.

This is a very nice guitar and they are selling like hotcakes, dealers allover are running out of stock as soon as they come in.
Here are some pictures bellow, they were taken with my new Canon T5i on the auto setting.
The last group shot picture was taken without a flash just a bit ago on landscape mode with a dark room, but the camera gathers in a lot of light.

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg

I like the light natural color of the wood on the back too, just like my sons SE Semi-Hollow I got him back in 2012 for his birthday.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I also like how the light natural color of the sides blend with the darker color of the top wood.

8.jpg
9.jpg

11.jpg

Links:
SE Zach Myers Signature

TK-0735-001 Gotoh Locking Tuners Vintage 3x3 Nickel

Schaller Security Strap Locks - Nickel Via Amazon

Tonepros Locking Studs For PRS Metric

Here are a few videos from winter 2014 NAMM with Zach and his new signature guitar.
If you search YouTube also you will find some more videos from forum members who have uploaded their own.

2014 PRS SE Zach Myers Signature Model

PRS SE Zach Myers Electric Guitar - NAMM 2014

Here is a video from Richard Lainegard who is a member here.
Note that if you read the comments in his video, Zach Myers replied, pretty cool.

PRS SE Zach Myers 2014 Demo Play Through

Last edited by a moderator:
Continued, 10 picture limit per post

12.jpg

Closeup of the PRS forums TRC, I have it on three of my guitars now.
The guitar here, my SE Tremonti Custom, and my 408.
I think it looks pretty cool with the birds/moon theme.

10.jpg

Thanks guy's.
I have a SKB flight case showing up for it today as I found out (posted in my other thread) that the ZM will not lay flat in the PRS hardshell case.
I put the ZM into my SE Tremonti Customs SKB case, and it fits perfectly.

Took the day off since I have a checkup at the doctor in a bit, so I will get some more playing time on it later today through my Blackstar ID 60 amp.
If I ever get another stop tail guitar, the Tonepro locking studs are going into it too.

I sure wish PRS would release an SE bass, I want to pick up a bass next.

Happy new guitar day Cory. Knew you waited awhile for this one.

Thanks Sleary.
Ordered on Valentine's day, and it came in on April Fools Day :D

Vox, I really like the tuners, wish I had known about them for my SG.
It has the Autotrims too like my other SEs.

These were a drop in with no modification to the ZM at all.

great pics and thanks for posting.

So (when i finally get around to getting my hands on a ZM), I can just order these tuners you linked and drop them in (I have no previous experience with installing tuners ... would love to have it be my first DIY guitar project, but do not want to drill anything)
http://www.allparts.com/TK-0735-001-Locking-Tuners-Vintage-3x3-Nickel_p_3635.html
Are these basically the same as the Gotoh SD90's i've been reading about in other ZM threads?

thanks

Thanks Alan!

Hi JC, thanks, and these are truly a drop in tuner.
No drilling or reaming of the shaft hole.
These are Gotoh's, Allparts sells many tuner brands and repackages them it looks like.
My dealer said that they are Gotoh's.

Not sure if they are an SD90 or not, but these are the same that Les Paul users have been dropping into their guitars, and they happen to fit PRS''s perfectly.
The barcode scan tag says 6 45208 01737 7, and when I scanned the tag with my Smartphone, it showed them as Gotoh's.
Made in Japan too, not China.

Congrats Corey, have been following this saga and am pleased to see and hear it end well.

Back