NGD: 24-08

srmd22

I am digging my 408, which I have been playing most of this month, so much, after being devoid of PRSi for some time, and having recently thinned the herd (with plans for further thinning), I decided to spring for this one. Sounds totally different from the 408, but equally superb. Was not my first choice of color, but the specs did it for me - RW FB, pattern regular neck, light weight (7.4 lbs, yay), and turns out the color looks great in person, and I am really pleased with it. So now I have a "stable" of two PRS, and really glad to have them around. To be fair, I also recently bought and sold an awesome 1997 Cu22 with the Dragon pups which was an incredibly great guitar. But I flipped it to make room for others. Which I flipped to make room for these, lol. Which I plan on hanging onto for a long time. It's a wood library from Wild West Guitars, blood orange, braz RW FB.

44247743071_cedcfe47f1_b.jpg

43530556124_f17a56549d_b.jpg

44247728991_f2600218e5_b.jpg

43530556484_39e0831cee_b.jpg

44247696141_2ecc285c21_b.jpg

The brazilian rosewood actually sort of fades from darker to lighter along the length of the FB - not a trick of the light - and this is mirrored in a sort of two-tone look of the matching Brazzy headstock veneer. I really dig the effect, although some might prefer a more homogenous dark appearance. Here, the FB sort of blends into the body finish.

Flame mahogany neck (first I have seen this):
29312252537_94fd1648a4_b.jpg

Here is a family shot of the two PRS currently in my possession:
43342937065_8f9abfc207_b.jpg

That's a nice looking Quilt top and the colour looks great - not as great as a Red Fire Burst would though :p:D:D

I would certainly be very happy with that....

Awesome! I have a great WL CU24 30th anniversary in blood orange from Wild West. It's the most agressive guitar in my collection, and I love it.

If anyone does a 24-08 piezo WL run, or worse yet a special SH 22 piezo run, I'm toast. Until then, I'm good with what I have (for today).

Enjoy that beastie!

Due to my college alma mater and college football affiliation, I'm not a big fan of orange, but that is one beautiful guitar!
Congrats!!!

Thanks all! I know it is honeymoon period, but I am bonding with this one hard. Just has that feel and sound that works for me, disappears in my hands and resonates in my gut when I turn it up a bit. Love when that happens. Really love the color - was not sure I would from the pics, but it worked out great!

I’ve always thought of a blood orange as having red flesh, not orange!

I’m always amazed at what people will upload. 6:30 for the money shot!

Lovely!!!!

I getting tired of waiting for my 24-08. I ordered it last November. Sigh.......

Yes, I considered ordering one up to my exact specs, but I just don't have the patience. Would be fun though. Although... well, actually, it would not be really any different then what I ended up with, now that I think about it. Probably would not have thought to order a blood orange, but glad that's what I ended up with.

My order was all about the neck finish. I'm not terribly bothered by the high gloss finish, but I strongly prefer the satin finish on the neck. Since I was going to order anyway, I ended up going with the Artist Package. This way I get the neck finish I want with a solid rosewood neck, an upgraded top piece and an relatively unusual color (copperhead burst).

I'm expecting it to be a great guitar with a rare combination of features. I go through bouts of impatience, and I'm currently VERY impatient. It will pass. The guitar will arrive eventually.

Yes, the copperhead burst is amazing! I really liked one at WW Guitars, but I was not feeling the maple neck on that one (just for the moment - I generally love maple necks, but for this particular one I wanted mahogany/rosewood). My favorite color of all the PRSi I have had was a rootbeer quilt Cu22 I recently sold. The copperhead burst is somewhat similar to that, being a rich brown tint. One reason I never ordered one myself is that in a year my tastes might change, such that the appearance/specs might not be exactly what I would order a year later at the the time of receiving it.

Rosewood necks are amazing too - I had a Cu24 with one, and it had a nice round, bassy but clear, ring to it, and felt so smooth. You could definitely tell the contribution of the neck wood on that guitar - very different from mahogany and maple necked Cu24s, even allowing for other differences in construction. I say that, because I have played RW necks on other guitars, and the same quality was there. It is not a subtle thing, to my ears.

Back