NGD: 2020 Spec SC 594 in Charcoal!

Congratulations Pete, she’s a beauty!

Crazy that it’s a donor guitar, but I suppose even pretty lassies can give up their kidneys!

Also from your first pic, I thought that you’d get a “congrats” from Sergio, because with the natural light cast it looks almost blue.

h8KjWKD.jpg

Then onto the next set of pics and voila! Charcoal gorgeousness!!

That is GORGEOUS I am also a fan of charcoal with a light back (one of my WL SSHs has that). That's a really dark stain and goes so well with the flame. It's like dark chocolate and peanut butter...TASTY! congrats!

So whats the main difference with the nitro finish? Does it just help the guitar age in a more "vintage" fashion? Also, how do you like the vintage tuners vs. the locking tuners? I plan to pickup a double cutaway 594 soon and I'm trying to decide between buying a used pre 2020 model with the locking tuners and non-TCI pickups and the 2020 model. Thoughts?

So I commented that I usually like more vintage finishes. After spending a day with this one, I think this is pretty vintage in looks and feel, actually!

The Natural Back and Neck looks gorgeous, and this top is really vintage. It is a great top, but not TOO great, has a lot of variety in the flame, and has those grain lines perpendicular to the flame. Both let the wood tone colors through the Charcoal finish, tie in with the Natural Back and Neck and give it a real vintage vibe IMO.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!! I am digging it.

It sounds pretty darn good. I am second-guessing pulling these LT+’s out of here... :)

I’m so psyched that you’re back!!!

Thanks! I am psyched to be back!

I don’t know why I needed a hiatus. I think I flew too close to the sun and was starting to burn up... ;)

What’s next?? :p

Probably a traditional DC 594 solidbody. I don’t have one of those. I am all about the Singlecut 594, but want a solidbody DC to compare it to.

Plus I think I have a gig lined up for January 2021 that I will prep for in 2020, and I want to figured out whether to use a DC or an SC. The DC 245s were my main gigging guitars back in the pre-594 days, despite my love for the SC Teds. I did do two gigs with SC 58s, that was fine, but the DCs are certainly a little more ergonomic and easier to play at a gig...

So whats the main difference with the nitro finish? Does it just help the guitar age in a more "vintage" fashion? Also, how do you like the vintage tuners vs. the locking tuners? I plan to pickup a double cutaway 594 soon and I'm trying to decide between buying a used pre 2020 model with the locking tuners and non-TCI pickups and the 2020 model. Thoughts?

With regards to the Nitro, the theory is that a Nitro finish will let the wood “breathe” more than some sort of Poly-based finish, and provide for better tone. My experience in owning several Private Stock (Nitro) and Core/WL (V12) 594s (SC and DC) at the same time, that that is true. I also prefer the way the Nitro finishes feel.

With regards to the tuners, I *love* locking tuners for quick and easy string changes, and conversely dislike non-locking tuners for much more tedious string changes. That said, the folks at PRS say the tuners help improve the tone. The two 2020 spec guitars I just got both have amazing tone and resonance, better than any previous Core or WL 594s I have had. So I won’t be switching these tuners out. And when I spec a Private Stock later this year, I will also likely spec these tuners...

These new 5815 LT+ pickups are great! (Note that only the SCs get this new “+” pickups, as they are optimized just for the SC, the DC gets a TCI’ed version of the existing LT.)

2016-2019 Core and WL 594s are of course amazing as well. They have been my favorite PRS Models ever, since the day they launched. So you probably can’t go wrong either way. You probably can get a better deal on a 2019 or previous one...

You STOLE that one from me!! Congrats!!

That was at my local dealer and I went in last Saturday to play it and convince myself I didn’t need it. I went in and the guys said, “Oh. Yeah, we sold it.”

My wife is VERY happy with you right now!

Funny story, thanks for sharing it!

I knew it wouldn’t last long, it was the only 2020 spec SC 594 I found out there, and with a great top and finish, I couldn’t resist. I jumped on it right away, the day after I got the Prototype! ;)

Wow! That is fantastic!

I'm with you on the charcoal with natural back, as well. For me, I just generally like a natural back...there are few colors I like with a painted back. Your's look absolutely incredible!

Also, I agree with your comments about the new finish! Actually, I'm glad you pointed that out because after picking up my 35th Anniversary Custom 24, I was convinced something was special about this new finish and have been kinda waiting to see what other people's thoughts were on it. I also feel that there is almost more resonance to this new finish than what was previously offered. Feel and weight are also improved, in my opinion.

Congrats, again, on yours....it's absolutely stunning!

Absolutely gorgeous! I believe that should have the TCI 58/15’s, does it? How do you like them if so?

Huuuuge congrats!

Absolutely gorgeous! I believe that should have the TCI 58/15’s, does it? How do you like them if so?

Huuuuge congrats!

Thanks!

Yes, they have the 2020 Spec TCI pickups in there, and as mentioned in my other 2020 Prototype thread and here, not only are they TCI, but they are a new spec just for the 2020 SC 594 that are called the "5815 LT+". They have a slightly higher output than the regular LTs I think, per Shawn Nuthall in a post late last year.

They sound amazing! No complaints in either guitar about being too low of an output, but still all the great dynamic range we all have loved in the LTs.

Back