NGD - 2020 Paul's Guitar

jeffroel

Hi everyone!!

I’m pretty new around here although I’ve been reading the forum for quite a long time.

So this is NGD for me, but not the one I was expecting 2 weeks ago when I made the decision to get a new guitar…

My love for PRSi started 8 years ago and I’ve been fortunate enough to have different models during that time. After some adjusting in my guitar collection (and you know I’m talking about downsizing…) when 2020 started I just had my trusted SC245 57/08 limited, that has been with me since 2013 and that to this day is my go-to guitar and what you could call “the one” (at least for me). On February I finally got a 2018 594 after quite a time wanting one.

During the lockdown i’ve had a lot of time to rethink my collection and I started selling some of my gear to get what I need right now (well, who am I kidding, and some stuff I just want xD) . My plan was to get a plain old used McCarty (non 10 top, dots). I sold mine 2 years ago and I regret it every day, and I wanted to cover the 25 scale PRS field.

Well. After searching for one, I started to pay attention to the Paul’s Guitar ads. To be fair, I’ve never liked the model until this point, but I’m not sure why, something started to attract me more and more to it and I thought about giving it a try since most stores offer a trial period and I can return it in case I’m not in love with it. So 1 week ago I’m pretty sure I’m getting a 10 top Paul’s Guitar (2020 of course) in Copper or Black Gold Wrap Burst . And then, this happened:

hMdPw7Z.jpg

Oops. Someone seems to like it.

Non 10 top Yellow Tiger. I saw it on a big European Store and I fell in love with the top. It’s clearly not a 10 top, but it has something… I wasn’t sure about the yellow tiger finish but now that it’s here I don’t regret it at all. To sum it up, it’s gorgeous.

Youtube has been my main source of info for the model and I expected it to be like a McCarty but with different pickups. In my short time testing it, I can say it feels like a McCarty, but like a special one. The sounds I’m still trying to tune my gear to accommodate the Paul but it’s like nothing I’ve hear before. I don’t know if its the narrow pickups or the TCI magic but it’s like it’s bright and warm at the same time and just at the right amount; crazy string definition…and it sustains also like crazy. Single coil tones are just unbelievable (specially in the neck position).

I will update with more impressions but for now it’s clearly a keeper :)

A couple of extra pictures to show the difference shades of the finish
wlZUgyq.jpg

dSY35lE.jpg

Man that's smokingly hot and beautiful! You're gonna love it long time and mine is never leaving my side!

You're right on about it sounding like nothing else, very unique pickups. I just had to raise the pole pieces on the low e and a, I needed a little more oomph there and that did the trick!

I love it. Looks like your cat does too. My next PRS will be either a yellow tiger or an orange tiger. For some reason i'm really drawn to that look.

Ten top or not .... that is a beauty and I have a soft spot for Tiger Yellow! Congratulations!!

Back