NGD - 2020 DGT (with TCI Pickups)

Great looking DGT. Any chance you could post a photo of the control cavity (wiring, etc.) I bought a DGT last fall and it has an extra resistor on the bridge volume pot. I'm wondering if this is a pre-TCI version? Thanks!

Love DGT’s! As can be seen in my avatar!

Will do re feedback.

I like the 9s on the DGT a lot, they feel great to me. This is my only Trem PRS, and it sure is different with the Trem springs giving way a bit to bends and vibrato. It is fine, just different.

Tone is great, these pickups ARE brash relative to the 5815 LTs - but in a good way! ;)

Yes, my tech does fine tune the pickup height with his setups. He does it to a spec and then fine tunes based on what he thinks sounds the best. I like the setups he does, I am so used to them now that no guitar feels right to me until he has put strings I like on there and done his thing.

My favorite 9s for the last couple of years have been the ThroBak Pure Nickel Strings, I dig them with regards to feel and tone.

I don't often play with the pickup heights. I should. It has been on my to-do list for a while. (Like 5 years...) :)
Ok, good feedback. I guess 9s will go on next week just for giggles. The pickups were raised to keep an element of that original power because, well, just because.

Congrats on this simply elegant addition, McCarty burst was and still my most favorite for a classic look
which yours has in spades, enjoy it in good health Pete.

Thanks, everyone!

They sound amazing! I will get a chance to A/B them with a pre-DCI DGT this weekend, will report back.

Me too re Cherry Back, especially with the contrast against the McCarty Sunburst. I love McCarty Sunburst!!

Nope re speed knobs. They appear to be stock for 2020. The PRS Website pics show Speed Knobs. Maybe DGh is using them now and asked for them to be changed? I will run with them for a while and see if I like them. Visually I prefer lampshades, but no big deal...
To each their own as always, but I've always loved speed knobs. I think their larger O.D. makes them a bit easier to use and a bit more precise, especially when swelling. Cool, man! Looks like TCI is going viral!

Just noticed the knobs on the stock photo, interesting change. Is that also a bone nut? Surprised they did that on a trem equipped guitar. How well does it stay in tune with whammy use?

Yes re Bone Nut. I don't really know with regards to staying in tune with whammy use, I don't use it frequently, and when I do it is more of a Jeff Beck wiggle than an EVH Dive Bomb. ;) But so far so good, I have not noticed it coming out of tune at all.

Both volume pots do have the bleed cap, but on my 2019 gold top, there is an extra resistor on the bridge volume pot as well. Asked Shawn about it and he said only that there is a new schematic being uploaded to the website.
That news to me and very interesting. Seems like PRS was dabbling with the TCI concept ahead of production release of TCI. It wouldn’t surprise me if DGh was responsible for starting the TCI concept with Paul. Sounds like his sort of thing...consistency.

Pete!

A subtle yet sublime piece!

Getting more elemental and conservative in your old age, are ya?? ;)

Pete!

A subtle yet sublime piece!

Getting more elemental and conservative in your old age, are ya?? ;)

Hi there, AaeCee! Great to hear from you!

Yes, I have been through all the flashy colors (well, expect Bonnie Pink), got that out of my system. Now just doing the classic finishes. Charcoal and Yellow Tiger are the limits of how wild I will go on finishes these days. ;)

Both volume pots do have the bleed cap, but on my 2019 gold top, there is an extra resistor and capacitor on the bridge volume pot as well. Asked Shawn about it and he said only that there is a new schematic being uploaded to the website.
Opened my WL DGT , it has a capacitor and resistor on each volume , looks like part of the treble bleed circuit. It is a 2019 , so pre-TCI. Well get this TCI thing sorted out someday

UHtIOse.jpg

It just looks like a treble bleed variant, and it also has the 2 resistors for the coil split on the tone pot

Last edited:
Back