NGD: 2020 DGT --The rumours are true!!!

Me and Mr. Clean approve with a hearty “oooooo”!

mrcleangig2014.jpg

Congrats! A unique guitar for sure, even among PRS.

Mine is from 2012 or 2013 I think. Kind of an oddball with the Boyd's Burst finish and the ebony board/headstock AND rosewood neck. It is such a tone monster, such a versatile guitar, and so incredibly playable. Mine has the V12 finish on it, which I actually prefer to modern nitro.

It ain't TCI tuned or none of that new fangled stuff! But I would not trade it for any new one made. I have no idea how many great gigs I have used it on. Through my Matchless, it is truly inspiring.

Mine is from 2012 or 2013 I think. Kind of an oddball with the Boyd's Burst finish and the ebony board/headstock AND rosewood neck. It is such a tone monster, such a versatile guitar, and so incredibly playable. Mine has the V12 finish on it, which I actually prefer to modern nitro.

It ain't TCI tuned or none of that new fangled stuff! But I would not trade it for any new one made. I have no idea how many great gigs I have used it on. Through my Matchless, it is truly inspiring.

Woah!!! That's a stunner!

I've yet to play a PRS with a RW neck...but they have to be sublime!!!

And a beauty she is indeed! Keep on playing it in good health!

Why does that headstock logo look so crazy to me?

Nice flame!

Hello all,

I haven't posted in a long while, among other things because my relationship with PRS Guitars has been complicated. I always very much appreciated the premium quality, feel, fit and finishes of the Core models. However, I could never really get along with the PRS sound, and as a result I bought and sold two CU22, 1 Single Cut Trem, 1 McCarty Trem, and a McCarty 594 over the years. It may have been the pickups, the non-nitro finish, who knows. But this all changed a couple of days ago when I received my new 2020 PRS DGT 10-top in McCarty Sunburst.
The guitar sounds like it was made by angels: resonant and full of overtones. Its playability is unsurpassed, and it weights 7.5 lbs --fairly light for a DGT. I took a chance on the guitar because I wanted to give the new Nitro finish a chance, and the pickups are rumoured to be TCI-tuned (although that doesn't appear on the PRS website description).
For those who would like to hear about my perception of the guitar's sounds: the neck PU is like the sweetest 175, the mid position is like an excellent ES-335's, and the bridge is full on Tele on steroids. The split sounds are rather glassy but very usable.
At any rate, there is something magical in that guitar. It may be that I fell for the guitar because the DGT is supposed to be the PRS model for people who don't care for PRS (doubtful). But most likely, I believe that PRS is now producing the highest quality guitars out there. The nitro may have done it for me, psychologically, and everything fell into place afterwards? Who knows. But this DGT just blew me out of the water. I cannot be happier with it.
Does this fit other folks' experience, who have bought the 2020 models?
Cheers!

That's a really awesome description of the DGT as mine to is different from my 2005 Corvette model. Mine has a tag date of 6-30-2020 and I had to weight mine twice to double check and it weighs 8.1 lbs which is much better then my 70's Les Paul that's 10.35 lbs. There's something about the neck shape that just fits just right. Right in between the fat Les Paul neck and the slim Strap deluxe. And it really rings well un plugged.

Congrats, killer guitar, McCarty is still my favorite classic finish.
Enjoy it in good health.

So for those who've played both....tell me about the special DGT neck compared to the wide fat that I 'm used to.
At the nut/1st fret, the DGT is slightly easier to grasp...a little more narrow. The rest of the way, it’s about the edge rolling and the big frets. Love my WFs but the DGT carve is wonderful.

So for those who've played both....tell me about the special DGT neck compared to the wide fat that I 'm used to.
I'm a thumb behind the neck type player and the neck is shaved a bit to make the thumb rest smoother and it also fits really nice in the palm if your a thumb over the neck player.
It also feels a bit less round around the high e side down in the 12th fret area. The tall frets are a bit different in a good way with a light tough and a bit odd if you like to push the strings to the wood. One thing I've found about PRS's is the way they hang nice and balanced in the standing position. Some guitars feel really good while sitting and become another animal when standing.

Back