NGD: 2020 DGT --The rumours are true!!!

livingston2012

Hello all,

I haven't posted in a long while, among other things because my relationship with PRS Guitars has been complicated. I always very much appreciated the premium quality, feel, fit and finishes of the Core models. However, I could never really get along with the PRS sound, and as a result I bought and sold two CU22, 1 Single Cut Trem, 1 McCarty Trem, and a McCarty 594 over the years. It may have been the pickups, the non-nitro finish, who knows. But this all changed a couple of days ago when I received my new 2020 PRS DGT 10-top in McCarty Sunburst.
The guitar sounds like it was made by angels: resonant and full of overtones. Its playability is unsurpassed, and it weights 7.5 lbs --fairly light for a DGT. I took a chance on the guitar because I wanted to give the new Nitro finish a chance, and the pickups are rumoured to be TCI-tuned (although that doesn't appear on the PRS website description).
For those who would like to hear about my perception of the guitar's sounds: the neck PU is like the sweetest 175, the mid position is like an excellent ES-335's, and the bridge is full on Tele on steroids. The split sounds are rather glassy but very usable.
At any rate, there is something magical in that guitar. It may be that I fell for the guitar because the DGT is supposed to be the PRS model for people who don't care for PRS (doubtful). But most likely, I believe that PRS is now producing the highest quality guitars out there. The nitro may have done it for me, psychologically, and everything fell into place afterwards? Who knows. But this DGT just blew me out of the water. I cannot be happier with it.
Does this fit other folks' experience, who have bought the 2020 models?
Cheers!

Last edited:
Hello all,

I haven't posted in a long while, among other things because my relationship with PRS Guitars has been complicated. I always very much appreciated the premium quality, feel, fit and finishes of the Core models. However, I could never really get along with the PRS sound, and as a result I bought and sold two CU22, 1 Single Cut Trem, 1 McCarty Trem, and a McCarty 594 over the years. It may have been the pickups, the non-nitro finish, who knows. But this all changed a couple of days ago when I received my new 2020 PRS DGT 10-top in McCarty Sunburst.
The guitar sounds like it was made by angels: resonant and full of overtones. Its playability is unsurpassed, and it weights 7.5 lbs --fairly light for a DGT. I took a chance on the guitar because I wanted to give the new Nitro finish a chance, and the pickups are rumoured to be TCI-tuned (although that doesn't appear ont he PRS website description.
For this who would like to hear about my idea of the guitar's sounds: the neck PU is like the sweetest 175, the mid position is like an ES-335, and the bridge is Tele on steroids. The split sounds are mostly glassy but very usable.
At any rate, there is something magical in that guitar. It may be that I fell for the guitar because the DGT is supposed to be the PRS model for people who don't care for PRS (doubtful). But most likely, I believe that PRS is now producing the highest quality guitars out there. The nitro may have done it for me psychologically, and everything fell into place afterwards? Who knows. But this DGT just blew me out of the water. I cannot be happier with it.
Cheers!
I just received my 2020 DGT on Friday and I agree. It's resonates like a tele that's been fed Russian horse meat. Congrats!

One of my favourite models. Every time I plug them in, I love what I hear!
z6aeoKi.jpg

So, I have a suspicion that the jumbo frets contribute significantly towards the harmonic "blooming" of notes --which is one of the things Grissom was after when he designed the specs for this guitar, apparently.
Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:
My dealer has 2 DGTs in stock (one is an AMAZING charcoal burst). I'd never played one so I took it for a spin. I was amazed at the Tele tone from the bridge pickup. It made me do a double take!!

Yes, that bridge pickup is crazy beefy! Kinda like a cross between a Tele and a Les Paul, in the end. Last night, I couldn't believe the "Bluesbreaker" era Clapton tone I was getting out of it and a simple JHS Morning Glory!
Anyway, it's just all around nice!

Hello all,

The guitar sounds like it was made by angels: resonant and full of overtones. Its playability is unsurpassed, and it weights 7.5 lbs --fairly light for a DGT. I took a chance on the guitar because I wanted to give the new Nitro finish a chance, and the pickups are rumoured to be TCI-tuned (although that doesn't appear on the PRS website description).
For those who would like to hear about my perception of the guitar's sounds: the neck PU is like the sweetest 175, the mid position is like an excellent ES-335's, and the bridge is full on Tele on steroids. The split sounds are rather glassy but very usable.
At any rate, there is something magical in that guitar. It may be that I fell for the guitar because the DGT is supposed to be the PRS model for people who don't care for PRS (doubtful). But most likely, I believe that PRS is now producing the highest quality guitars out there. The nitro may have done it for me, psychologically, and everything fell into place afterwards? Who knows. But this DGT just blew me out of the water. I cannot be happier with it.
Cheers!

I would say there is definitely something "extra" about the 2020 models. Not sure if it is the nitro or the TCI pickups, but my 2020 594 sounds "different" than my earlier 594s. Whatever it is, I like it!

Congrats on that DGT. Gorgeous guitar.

As for pics, you need to upload them to a third party site like Imgur, and then you can post from there.

Back