NGD - 2020 594 DC

Amazing instrument mate... I love it... I am waiting the new core 2020 in Europe...it will be my next guitar for sure.. in love of maccarty finishes

And i am still waiting demos of the new 2020 models in you tube! Cmon! You could be the first! XD we would appreciate it! XD

( Sorry for my English)

I've been looking at the new 594s really closely over the last couple of months. My local dealer had two SC models come in, and then both were bought (by forum members) quickly.

My dealer has had a DC for a little while, and I've played it and played it. It's a GREAT guitar, and yesterday I decided I couldn't say no any longer. The dealer made me an offer I simply could not refuse. Seriously, huge "shout out" to Danville Music. If you're looking for a PRS, give their Reverb page a look-see.

These were the pics on their page. I haven't snapped any photos of my own yet.......

49639769322_56fb95769a_m.jpg
49639494511_f158b47e8b_m.jpg
49639769197_16cb2f0bdf_m.jpg

Honestly, the photos do not do the top justice. I have an artist package HBII and an artist package 24-08 and the top on this 594 is AT LEAST as nice, and may be a bit nicer. Other than having what looks like a particularly nice top for a 10-top, it's a standard DC 594 in McCarty Sunburst. But, as others have said, there's something about these new 594s that just seems a bit different. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable. When you see and feel and hear a noticeable difference for an already excellent / amazing instrument you take notice.

I've always wanted a Les Paul. I bought a Les Paul Standard a few years back, but didn't bond with it. It was a lovely instrument, but there were a few "nigglies" about it that I didn't like and as a result I almost never played it. I ended up selling it (and bought the 24-08). Even though I have the 24-08, I've still been wanting a Les Paul, and this 594 is the most fantastic sounding and feeling and playing Les Paul I've ever had the pleasure to play.

I spent the better part of last night recording with it and comparing all my guitars through the same rig with the same settings playing the same riff to get a feel for where its voice fits in. It's really, really good and with the single coil tones it's VERY versatile.

If you've been on the fence about getting a 594 I'd say you REALLY should do yourself a favor and play one of the new ones. They're honestly exceptional. I'll be curious to see if PRS can continue to create 594s at this level moving forward because this guitar really does feel and sound like it might be a "half a step" ahead of my two artist package instruments. Maybe it's just new guitar energy clouding my judgement *shrug. Whatever it is every single one of the new 594s I've played has been REALLY good.
I know this is 8 months later...but hopefully you will see this. I have not played one of these yet, but starting to GAS for one. I have a number of LP's that I love, and am used to that late-50's Gibson neck size and of course, the Gibson scale. How do you find the Pattern Vintage neck shape, and the slightly smaller scale than LP's? Do you notice either? Was it hard to get used to? Thank you!

I know this is 8 months later...but hopefully you will see this. I have not played one of these yet, but starting to GAS for one. I have a number of LP's that I love, and am used to that late-50's Gibson neck size and of course, the Gibson scale. How do you find the Pattern Vintage neck shape, and the slightly smaller scale than LP's? Do you notice either? Was it hard to get used to? Thank you!
I did notice this, because this page is really good about sending notices.....

The pattern vintage shape works for me; NOT because it's my preferred shape. It's actually my last choice.

I think of the 594 as a Les Paul with modern solutions to the Les Paul's shortcomings. It plays and stays in tune. The head stock is not likely to snap off. The finish is durable. But it's also a Les Paul. It SHOULD have a vintage neck. What I like about the neck is that it does feel so different than the other PRS neck profiles. As soon as my 594 is in my hands I'm already in a "classic electric guitar sound" head space. The personality and tonality of the instrument are immediately conveyed to me simply by feeling the neck. It's a physical signal of the instrument's "personality" and I get it the second I wrap my hand around the neck. So, while I rank the pattern vintage shape as my least favorite, I also think of it as an important and vital component of the 594.

Was it hard to get used to? No, but the instrument is SO inspiring to me that I was really motivated to get used to it. I feel the difference immediately when I pick the guitar up after playing something else. But after a few minutes, the difference is no longer noticeable. The guitar feels like the 594; which is a REALLY good thing.

I'm not overly sensitive to scale length. I have 2 other PRS 22 fret guitars that are 25" scale. I notice the differences in neck profile versus the 594, but I do not notice the scale difference. I might notice if I played a lot above 16th or 17th fret, but I honestly don't play a lot above the 17th fret.

I will say that I've had 8 months to assimilate this guitar into my playing and it is still an amazing instrument. I also have an Artist Package HBII, an Artist Package 24-08 and a Vela. The 594 has just a little bit more for me. It feels a little smoother. I can play things on it a little faster than on some other guitars. I can get in the playing groove a little faster. The guitar just feels right. I LOVE the other instruments, and they're all amazing. The 594 is Nigel Tufnel; it goes to 11; it has that little something extra.

The 594 is sonically very versatile. The single coil sounds are actually realistic. Here's a little audio demo I put together where all the guitar parts are played on the 594. It covers clean single coil tones, clean double coil tones and higher gain double coil tones. I didn't play anything with really high gain settings because I don't play much music with really high gain setttings....

https://soundcloud.com/radiomoved/594-demo

I did notice this, because this page is really good about sending notices.....

The pattern vintage shape works for me; NOT because it's my preferred shape. It's actually my last choice.

I think of the 594 as a Les Paul with modern solutions to the Les Paul's shortcomings. It plays and stays in tune. The head stock is not likely to snap off. The finish is durable. But it's also a Les Paul. It SHOULD have a vintage neck. What I like about the neck is that it does feel so different than the other PRS neck profiles. As soon as my 594 is in my hands I'm already in a "classic electric guitar sound" head space. The personality and tonality of the instrument are immediately conveyed to me simply by feeling the neck. It's a physical signal of the instrument's "personality" and I get it the second I wrap my hand around the neck. So, while I rank the pattern vintage shape as my least favorite, I also think of it as an important and vital component of the 594.

Was it hard to get used to? No, but the instrument is SO inspiring to me that I was really motivated to get used to it. I feel the difference immediately when I pick the guitar up after playing something else. But after a few minutes, the difference is no longer noticeable. The guitar feels like the 594; which is a REALLY good thing.

I'm not overly sensitive to scale length. I have 2 other PRS 22 fret guitars that are 25" scale. I notice the differences in neck profile versus the 594, but I do not notice the scale difference. I might notice if I played a lot above 16th or 17th fret, but I honestly don't play a lot above the 17th fret.

I will say that I've had 8 months to assimilate this guitar into my playing and it is still an amazing instrument. I also have an Artist Package HBII, an Artist Package 24-08 and a Vela. The 594 has just a little bit more for me. It feels a little smoother. I can play things on it a little faster than on some other guitars. I can get in the playing groove a little faster. The guitar just feels right. I LOVE the other instruments, and they're all amazing. The 594 is Nigel Tufnel; it goes to 11; it has that little something extra.

The 594 is sonically very versatile. The single coil sounds are actually realistic. Here's a little audio demo I put together where all the guitar parts are played on the 594. It covers clean single coil tones, clean double coil tones and higher gain double coil tones. I didn't play anything with really high gain settings because I don't play much music with really high gain setttings....

https://soundcloud.com/radiomoved/594-demo
Thanks for the quick reply! Very helpful, good playing and well done demo! Thanks for sharing that! Great tones on both the single coils and buckers. A quick comment - LP's get a lot of knocks for tuning issues. I have played LP's for almost 50 years and I really don't find that they have more tuning issues than any other guitars, including guitars with locking tuners. Some of it may be strings - I have been experimenting with different strings and finding that the Gibson Brite Wire Reinforced work well, and the D'Addario NYXL's, for both tuning and longevity. I am starting to prefer the NYXL's. And - knock on wood! - I have never seen or owned an LP or other Gibson that had a "snapped" neck. I know it happens, but I think it's mostly (?) a "treatment" issue - I keep mine in cases and on good stands (except when at home, I use the semi-enclosed stands like the Gator and Fender suitcases), and I do play out/gig pretty regularly. What I may want - after I find one to play and try the neck - is a 594 DC with a Trem; if I can find/get one that's not Private Stock! :D
Thank you again for the detailed response and the demo! Very helpful, and again, nice playing!!!

Thanks for the quick reply! Very helpful, good playing and well done demo! Thanks for sharing that! Great tones on both the single coils and buckers. A quick comment - LP's get a lot of knocks for tuning issues. I have played LP's for almost 50 years and I really don't find that they have more tuning issues than any other guitars, including guitars with locking tuners. Some of it may be strings - I have been experimenting with different strings and finding that the Gibson Brite Wire Reinforced work well, and the D'Addario NYXL's, for both tuning and longevity. I am starting to prefer the NYXL's. And - knock on wood! - I have never seen or owned an LP or other Gibson that had a "snapped" neck. I know it happens, but I think it's mostly (?) a "treatment" issue - I keep mine in cases and on good stands (except when at home, I use the semi-enclosed stands like the Gator and Fender suitcases), and I do play out/gig pretty regularly. What I may want - after I find one to play and try the neck - is a 594 DC with a Trem; if I can find/get one that's not Private Stock! :D
Thank you again for the detailed response and the demo! Very helpful, and again, nice playing!!!

You're more than welcome!!!

I know there's a lot of "facts" floating around about the Les Paul. I've only ever owned one. It was a gorgeous guitar I bought brand new. It was a 2013 Les Paul Standard, and I obsessed over the purchase for a while. I played 20+ examples of new Les Pauls before choosing the one I bought. It was clearly better than the others I had tried. It had intonation issues. It had noticeable finish flaws at the neck and body joint. But I bought it anyway because it was the best of all that I had played, and I figured it just needed a good setup.

I setup all my guitars and I couldn't get this one to setup the way I wanted. After owning it for a while, I had a very irritating issue where the high e-string would "fall off" the bottom of the frets. After playing for 25 years and owning far more guitars than I care to admit this was the first time I'd ever had this happen. I would always have the high e pull off the frets on that LP. I eventually took it to a a great tech to see if he could get it to play the way I wanted and fix the annoying issue with the high e. He wasn't able to improve the intonation. He did improve the finish issues! He wasn't able to get the instrument to play and feel the way I wanted, and said the only way he could address the high e issue was to cut and install a new nut. The nut on the guitar was simply slotted incorrectly. Given that the nut was super glued in and the guitar was new, I decided not to replace the nut. He said he couldn't promise the nut replacement would be perfect. He mentioned that he'd had some issues with previous Gibson nut replacements and was simply "covering his bases". It would PROBABLY be no issue, but........

That guitar hung on my wall for a few years. It was beautiful. It had great switching options. It sounded damn good. I never liked playing it. I could never get it to feel good, and I had to adjust my playing a LOT to keep the high e string on the frets. I sold it to fund a PRS 24-08 purchase. I sincerely hope whoever bought it is THRILLED. Just because that guitar was not right for me doesn't mean it wasn't right for everybody.

This isn't meant to be a LP "bash", because they're great instruments. I love Les Pauls!!!! After selling mine, I STILL wanted one. After owning a PRS, I decided to try the PRS version of the Les Paul, and all the little "niggly" issues that bothered me about my Les Paul were gone. I think of my 594 as my Les Paul.

While I really like PRS, I'm not blinded. I like guitars. I like all guitars. I like cheap guitars and expensive guitars and Fenders and Gibsons and PRS and Ibanezes and Ernie Ball and Suhr and Anderson and ...... well I just like guitars. I feel like PRS fits my playing style and sonic needs better than others right now, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?

You're more than welcome!!!

I know there's a lot of "facts" floating around about the Les Paul. I've only ever owned one. It was a gorgeous guitar I bought brand new. It was a 2013 Les Paul Standard, and I obsessed over the purchase for a while. I played 20+ examples of new Les Pauls before choosing the one I bought. It was clearly better than the others I had tried. It had intonation issues. It had noticeable finish flaws at the neck and body joint. But I bought it anyway because it was the best of all that I had played, and I figured it just needed a good setup.

I setup all my guitars and I couldn't get this one to setup the way I wanted. After owning it for a while, I had a very irritating issue where the high e-string would "fall off" the bottom of the frets. After playing for 25 years and owning far more guitars than I care to admit this was the first time I'd ever had this happen. I would always have the high e pull off the frets on that LP. I eventually took it to a a great tech to see if he could get it to play the way I wanted and fix the annoying issue with the high e. He wasn't able to improve the intonation. He did improve the finish issues! He wasn't able to get the instrument to play and feel the way I wanted, and said the only way he could address the high e issue was to cut and install a new nut. The nut on the guitar was simply slotted incorrectly. Given that the nut was super glued in and the guitar was new, I decided not to replace the nut. He said he couldn't promise the nut replacement would be perfect. He mentioned that he'd had some issues with previous Gibson nut replacements and was simply "covering his bases". It would PROBABLY be no issue, but........

That guitar hung on my wall for a few years. It was beautiful. It had great switching options. It sounded damn good. I never liked playing it. I could never get it to feel good, and I had to adjust my playing a LOT to keep the high e string on the frets. I sold it to fund a PRS 24-08 purchase. I sincerely hope whoever bought it is THRILLED. Just because that guitar was not right for me doesn't mean it wasn't right for everybody.

This isn't meant to be a LP "bash", because they're great instruments. I love Les Pauls!!!! After selling mine, I STILL wanted one. After owning a PRS, I decided to try the PRS version of the Les Paul, and all the little "niggly" issues that bothered me about my Les Paul were gone. I think of my 594 as my Les Paul.

While I really like PRS, I'm not blinded. I like guitars. I like all guitars. I like cheap guitars and expensive guitars and Fenders and Gibsons and PRS and Ibanezes and Ernie Ball and Suhr and Anderson and ...... well I just like guitars. I feel like PRS fits my playing style and sonic needs better than others right now, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Very well put. I, too, had the issue where the high E would slide off the neck on a Les Paul that I had lusted after for years. I could never get it to sound the way I wanted it to, either. In retrospect, both issues probably could have been dealt with, but I didn't have the experience then to get it all done. I knew I could change the pickups, but I liked the appearance of what was in there, and replacements like that weren't plentiful at the time. In the end, I traded it towards my Mark IV.

And I'm in the same boat with your last point. I love guitars. PRS are the ones that suit me the best most of the time, but there are others I have that fill a niche that my PRS don't. And some of them are just flat out fun to play. I'm not in a VH tribute band. I play nothing like EVH. I don't particularly like dive-only trems. But damn if my black and yellow EVH isn't a hell of a lot of fun to play.

Back