NGD - 2020 594 DC

dcm_guitar

I've been looking at the new 594s really closely over the last couple of months. My local dealer had two SC models come in, and then both were bought (by forum members) quickly.

My dealer has had a DC for a little while, and I've played it and played it. It's a GREAT guitar, and yesterday I decided I couldn't say no any longer. The dealer made me an offer I simply could not refuse. Seriously, huge "shout out" to Danville Music. If you're looking for a PRS, give their Reverb page a look-see.

These were the pics on their page. I haven't snapped any photos of my own yet.......

49639769322_56fb95769a_m.jpg
49639494511_f158b47e8b_m.jpg
49639769197_16cb2f0bdf_m.jpg

Honestly, the photos do not do the top justice. I have an artist package HBII and an artist package 24-08 and the top on this 594 is AT LEAST as nice, and may be a bit nicer. Other than having what looks like a particularly nice top for a 10-top, it's a standard DC 594 in McCarty Sunburst. But, as others have said, there's something about these new 594s that just seems a bit different. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable. When you see and feel and hear a noticeable difference for an already excellent / amazing instrument you take notice.

I've always wanted a Les Paul. I bought a Les Paul Standard a few years back, but didn't bond with it. It was a lovely instrument, but there were a few "nigglies" about it that I didn't like and as a result I almost never played it. I ended up selling it (and bought the 24-08). Even though I have the 24-08, I've still been wanting a Les Paul, and this 594 is the most fantastic sounding and feeling and playing Les Paul I've ever had the pleasure to play.

I spent the better part of last night recording with it and comparing all my guitars through the same rig with the same settings playing the same riff to get a feel for where its voice fits in. It's really, really good and with the single coil tones it's VERY versatile.

If you've been on the fence about getting a 594 I'd say you REALLY should do yourself a favor and play one of the new ones. They're honestly exceptional. I'll be curious to see if PRS can continue to create 594s at this level moving forward because this guitar really does feel and sound like it might be a "half a step" ahead of my two artist package instruments. Maybe it's just new guitar energy clouding my judgement *shrug. Whatever it is every single one of the new 594s I've played has been REALLY good.

Congrats! That is a gorgeous one! Killer top and finish.

Great writeup, that is pretty much exactly how I feel about the 2020s. As you know, I got my Charcoal 2020 SC 594 from the guys at Danville, and it is also magical! ;)

I've been looking at the new 594s really closely over the last couple of months. My local dealer had two SC models come in, and then both were bought (by forum members) quickly.

My dealer has had a DC for a little while, and I've played it and played it. It's a GREAT guitar, and yesterday I decided I couldn't say no any longer. The dealer made me an offer I simply could not refuse. Seriously, huge "shout out" to Danville Music. If you're looking for a PRS, give their Reverb page a look-see.

These were the pics on their page. I haven't snapped any photos of my own yet.......

49639769322_56fb95769a_m.jpg
49639494511_f158b47e8b_m.jpg
49639769197_16cb2f0bdf_m.jpg

Honestly, the photos do not do the top justice. I have an artist package HBII and an artist package 24-08 and the top on this 594 is AT LEAST as nice, and may be a bit nicer. Other than having what looks like a particularly nice top for a 10-top, it's a standard DC 594 in McCarty Sunburst. But, as others have said, there's something about these new 594s that just seems a bit different. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable. When you see and feel and hear a noticeable difference for an already excellent / amazing instrument you take notice.

I've always wanted a Les Paul. I bought a Les Paul Standard a few years back, but didn't bond with it. It was a lovely instrument, but there were a few "nigglies" about it that I didn't like and as a result I almost never played it. I ended up selling it (and bought the 24-08). Even though I have the 24-08, I've still been wanting a Les Paul, and this 594 is the most fantastic sounding and feeling and playing Les Paul I've ever had the pleasure to play.

I spent the better part of last night recording with it and comparing all my guitars through the same rig with the same settings playing the same riff to get a feel for where its voice fits in. It's really, really good and with the single coil tones it's VERY versatile.

If you've been on the fence about getting a 594 I'd say you REALLY should do yourself a favor and play one of the new ones. They're honestly exceptional. I'll be curious to see if PRS can continue to create 594s at this level moving forward because this guitar really does feel and sound like it might be a "half a step" ahead of my two artist package instruments. Maybe it's just new guitar energy clouding my judgement *shrug. Whatever it is every single one of the new 594s I've played has been REALLY good.
Glad you only had to wait as long as it took you to convince yourself! :D That’s a fantastic looking top! Love that finish. Congrats!

Congratulations! That’s a great looking guitar. And, as you’re discovering, anyone looking for a Les Paul should check one out. It’s the best Les Paul I have owned. Sometimes Less Paul and more Paul Reed Smith is a win!

Last edited:
Just throwing an update out there because I'm still "buzzing" about this new guitar....

Last night I realized that I (unintentionally) now have one PRS core for each of the major neck woods. The 24-08 has a solid rosewood neck, the HBII has a solid maple neck and the 594 has the mahogany neck. As we all know, the necks really influence the voicing, and it's kind of cool that each of my core models have such distinctly different personalities

A couple of years ago I was worried that I wouldn't like the high gloss neck. I prefer the unfinished feel of the maple and rosewood necks. But I bought a Vela a couple of years ago as an impulse purchase, and I've noticed throughout my ownership that I have never once complained about the high gloss neck on that guitar. So, that Vela was really influential in me picking up this 594.

I played the 594 again last night and added a couple of parts to a new recording. This instrument is a gem.

Back