NGD - 2019 SE Paul's Guitar - Amber

shimmilou

Established in 1963
Expecting to have it in just a few hours, and after it arrives and I get a chance to check it out, I will review it.

In the mean time, you can drool over the pics with me. :)

48011287513_3ddfb5d0e8_o.jpg

48011364792_ed2e4b0293_o.jpg

48011364747_433f0c8644_o.jpg

The birds just look killer!
48011287478_135cf9661e_o.jpg

Please give a good review when you get it...i find myself somewhat questioning/regretting the CU22 semi SE that I bought recently. It's a great guitar but the Paul is pulling at me off and on!

I wonder why they made the Paul in Indonesia rather than Korea though. I can't say that didn't have something to do with my decision as well. And the thread that showed the birds were off center on a Paul weighed in too.

Nice one bro. I’m loving that bridge! Birds are beautiful. The top, meh!!

Just teasing bro, she’s a beauty;)

Congrats!

You never make your NGD post until after the guitar has arrived. Instead it should be "Out for delivery". Saying NGD before you have the guitar is asking for a red font Delivery Exception. They'll probably say something totally not true too, like "Customer not available or business closed."

Wow! This guitar sounds so much different than anything else I have, love it! Right out of the box I played it acoustically, and it was noticeably louder than my SE Cu 24, maybe as loud, or louder than any of my SEs, and has a very good acoustic sound. The sustain is awesome, it rings out for days, and is nicely resonant.

The fit/finish/feel are fantastic, fret ends are wonderfully smooth, love the neck shape, very comfortable, and the stock setup was pretty good. Before making any adjustments, I plugged into a Deluxe Reverb RI, starting with bridge humbucker at low guitar volume, and got some exceptional smooth and warm, dreamy clean sounds, with excellent articulation and clarity, very rich, chirpy, and loose, great overtones. When the guitar volume was cranked, it pushed the 6V6s into a very smooth, warm and creamy overdrive, the classic DR sound (sort of "Won't get Fooled Again" sounding), so sweet and responsive, with a very nice growl, and to me, really sounds more like a hot P90 than a humbucker. I could tell just from that, this guitar was going to be awesome, and very different, just what I wanted.

I tried out all switch positions to make sure everything worked, and it did flawlessly, but it needed a little tweaking to get the sounds and setup perfect for me. The neck and bridge pups were a touch too bassy, so I tweaked each a little bit, lowering the bass side on both, and lowered the treble side of the bridge pup a little too. The action was a little high for me, and the relief was nearly perfect, no truss rod adjustment needed, so I lowered the bridge, getting the treble side all the way down, perfect low action with no buzzing. Now the setup and sound are just peachy, exactly the way I like it.

After getting it setup perfectly, I played for over an hour and a half on the DR, getting lost in all of the inspiring sounds of all the various switching positions, every one just fantastic, I couldn't stop playing, getting so many amazing and delightful tones (8 different combinations!). The split positions sound like something between P90s and Strat single coils, with little volume loss when switching from humbucker. When switching to single, the sound just shifted more towards the treble, losing the low end, becoming clearer, but retaining the same basic tone, really very cool and unique. These pups definitely sound unlike most any other humbuckers that I have, with a sound more like P90s than anything else. They are so wonderfully unique sounding, that they are in their own class, hard to compare them with any other pups. :)

Enough for tonight, gotta rest up from today's thrill, and tomorrow I'll try it on a higher gain amp and report back.

Last edited:
Back