NGD - 2019 S2 Singlecut - Whale Blue

shimmilou

Established in 1963
Been waiting for this one for a few months. I really like these #7 pups, very bright and articulate, and seem like low or maybe medium output pups, very expressive and touch sensitive. The bridge in particular is clear and bright without being harsh, with a crispy/chewy driven tone, that is easy to coax various sounds out of just by changing pick attack. As typical with the two volume setup on guitars like this, I like the middle selector switch position, with the bridge volume full and the neck at about 7, which is a nice and chirpy, classic PAF like sound. The neck is nice and warm, very balanced with moderate low end, very smooth and clear. All three switch positions are nicely balanced with each other volume wise. The split positions don't really sound like single coils, just like lower output humbuckers, still retaining their terrific character, with a touch more clarity. I took it to jam session today, got to hear a pro play it and it sounds wonderfully sweet when driven, with a fantastic clean tone, very smooth, balanced, clear, just super inspiring sounds. A perfect match on the SS 22 with 6V6 output tubes, and on my Bugera T50 in Class A mode, classic rock all the way. :cool:

One small issue, I noticed that pulling up the bridge tone pot didn't change the sound. Found a wiring issue, the split wires were on the wrong side of the push/pull switch, so I moved them where they should be, see last 2 pics. It took me less time to correct the wiring than it would have to box it up and send it back. The sound is so awesome that I would rather take five minutes to fix it than to take much more time to exchange it. Really stoked about this guitar, just outstanding tones, and a great addition to my collection. :)

48436810887_100b8f59bb_o.jpg

48436810967_649879a7fa_o.jpg

48436810962_6723635495_o.jpg

48436810772_219ecc6c2a_o.jpg

48460379297_b1d24623fd_o.jpg

48460214601_b172a98d96_o.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! That looks so classy. You make me want one too!

That's a real beauty. I'm still convinced that the mahogany neck, body depth and the maple/mahogany body ratio contribute to tone that is different from every other PRS. To me, the S2's have a place in the lineup of all of us. Nothing sounds like the S2's.

Thx all! This is yet another great axe, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. :)

That's a real beauty. I'm still convinced that the mahogany neck, body depth and the maple/mahogany body ratio contribute to tone that is different from every other PRS. To me, the S2's have a place in the lineup of all of us. Nothing sounds like the S2's.

Oh yeah! The group leader used it the whole time Sunday, and of all my PRS that he has played, which is all of them, this one was his absolute favorite. His descriptive words of how he felt about it, should not be repeated here. ;)

Back