NGD 2013 PRS 408 MT

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
It is finally here.
Took about four months, and it seemed to drag on forever, but I got the call yesterday that it was on the UPS truck.

It would not be ready for pickup though until today since the tech at my dealer changed out the 10 - 46 strings for Ernie Ball Cobalts in 9 - 42.
I run that gauge on all of my guitars, so I like to keep it consistent.

I got back a few hours ago, but I had to snag some pics of it, eat lunch, and play it some before posting :D

As soon as my dealer opened the case, he pointed out that this is very close to a Ten Top, and that it was a quilt top and not flamed like we thought I would receive.
Would you say he is right about it being more of a quilt than flame?
The color is Antique Natural.

As a bonus I also got a control cover hand signed by Paul himself, very nice!
Paul will also be visiting my dealers store sometime in June, so he will be calling me to let me know when Paul will be there for the meet and greet.

I am very use to playing my three PRS SE models which are considerably cheaper than the USA built ones, so right away I noticed some big differences.
The control knobs are mounted in a recessed hole, and the contours on the sides of the guitar are much deeper and pronounced.
It is more comfortable to me to hold.

Playing the guitar unplugged sounds very nice like it rings more, better quality wood.

I went for the pattern thin neck which is kind of similar to the wide/thin neck I have on my SE Custom 24 and the SE Tremonti Custom.
Very comfortable for me to play.
I guess I prefer a thinner neck over fatter one.
Could be why these feel much nicer to me than my old Gibson '73 Les Paul Deluxe which had a fatter neck on it.
Even my Gibson SGs slim profile neck feels better than my old Les Paul.

I have not plugged in the guitar to any of my amps yet, will get to that later, as I wanted to get the pics out of the way first and just play the guitar for a bit to see how it plays.
As others have said, it plays like a dream.

Still need to swap out the stock strap pins for the Schaller Locking pins, but not in a hurry to get to that yet, as I am going to go back to playing it after I post this.

I can say without a doubt this is one very fine guitar, and maybe down the road I might go for a Maryland built Tremonti.

Here are some pics of the new guitar.
Wish I had a better camera, still not done researching what would be the best choice for me.
Also picked up a mic cab boom while I was there today.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

PS, I will have more to say about it over the next few days as it sinks in that it is finally here, and I get to get a good feel for it.

Congrats! Looks awesome, and definitely looks like a flame rather than quilt. Have a great weekend enjoying your new axe.

Looks flamey to me!! Congrats, there isn't a more comfortable guitar in the world to play than a DC PRS, bask in the afterglow it's a beautiful instrument.

You didn't really eat lunch before playing it though, right!? Such reserve.

Wow, I dig that flame! glad it's finally in your hands :cheers:
Oh and when you can, get a US Tremonti...killer guitars :rock:

Killer flame! When did they start doing the burst on the back and neck of production guitars? It looks fantastic.

Looking forward to the tone report.

Oh my goodness, Corey....

Wow...

That thing is positively gorgeous! :top:

So glad you've finally received it. And I'm hopeful that your NGD is a good harbinger for my own impending delivery! ;)

Once you play it for a while, let us know what you think!

COREY!!! That is absolutely beautiful... The flame looks killer and the burst on the neck is so awesome!!! And the grain of the mahogany back is awe inspiring as well.

Looks like you got a production guitar that could almost meet Wood Library quality to me!!!

Congrats on a wonderful score!!!

Really like that.....I see why he thought it is nearly a 10 top and also understand the quilt comparison. It is a flame, but the flame is very wide and "quilty". Great color too! Congrats!

WOW stunning guitar. This will be in your collection for life I believe. I have owned a couple SE models before and while they are very good guitars when I played a USA model it was like whoa! Now I get it. My p22 just vibrates even through the neck. The whole guitar seems alive and it rings acoustically very nice. very nice sustain even way up the neck. Frets glass smooth. Also what I like is that the USA controls are WAY smoother. I can just take my pinky and roll the volume up and down. Love the feel of the lampshade knobs too. My boy has a Singelcut SE. I just installed a USA HFS/Vintage pick up set and the drop in USA 3 way toggel w/ push pull tone and lamp shade knobs. Now it feels too as far as controls go much better. I have a feeling that after you plug in the SEs will start feeling lonely ;)

Congrats!!

I didn't realize the wait was only 4 months. I ordered a guitar around 2005/06, for a T-style bolt on guitar and it took 6 months.

It was about time lol......love the natural.

Sound report when you plug it in

Back