NGD: 2009 PRS Ted McCarty P90 SC245 10-Top Tobacco Burst

neil godbole

I've been eyeing this model for quite some time, but the right causes and conditions just never came through... until now.
This beauty is in incredible condition and was just delivered today.

The 24.5" scale length, the P90 configuration, the light weight single cut design...

I'm most likely going to try out different pickups.. I've heard mixed reviews about the Duncan's that come stock with it, but I quite liked them in my initial play through today. However, part of the fun with this kind of guitar for me is going to be trying a few different P90's to see what is possible.

Anybody with this guitar play around with pickup swaps? Who else has this or the humbucking model and still loves it/plays it regularly? Any words of wisdom/advice?

IMG-5402.jpg

IMG-5403.jpg

IMG-5404.jpg

Great setup! I don't have one, but I did have a guitar very similar in specs/setup--soapbar (the Seymour Duncan ones) Mira with 245 scale, from that same era. I also currently have a McCarty with the Seymour Duncan soapbars, too. I'm one of the ones who likes them. They're not as hot or beefy-sounding as some Gibson P90's I've played recently, but they're clean and balanced and very pretty sounding. (Maybe that "pretty" comment is why people don't like them? Granted yes, lots of people want rude P90's.)

Great setup! I don't have one, but I did have a guitar very similar in specs/setup--soapbar (the Seymour Duncan ones) Mira with 245 scale, from that same era. I also currently have a McCarty with the Seymour Duncan soapbars, too. I'm one of the ones who likes them. They're not as hot or beefy-sounding as some Gibson P90's I've played recently, but they're clean and balanced and very pretty sounding. (Maybe that "pretty" comment is why people don't like them? Granted yes, lots of people want rude P90's.)

Yah I can totally see how people want something more nasty or that imparts an obvious character, even clean. I tend to be more of a clean guy, but I think OD tones with these Duncans sound really good as well. I might end up with these back on, since I quite enjoy the rounded but clear piano like clean tones of a good P90. But my other two guitars do polite and refined very well if I want them to - my modded SSH (https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/special-22-semi-hollow-ssh-modification-thread.47373/) and SAS (https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/prs-2003-sas-swamp-ash-special-modification-thread.49946/).

Congrats! Teds rock! I love mine... although has an IRW neck and Humbuckers. You have a real stunner there!
Thanks! So maybe you can clarify this for me - these 2009 teds are all BRW?

Last edited:
Love it, ❤

If you goto youtube, that pedal show channel, mick tried a few different sets in his double cut McCarty

I have bareknuckle p90s in a strat, love them, mississippi Queens

Very nice! Might need to check one of these out on my p90 guitar hunt

Great guitars!

I am currently running Fralin p90 low wind in neck and reg wind in bridge. I started with both low winds but the bridge could no “keep up” with the neck... very hard to balance out. (Mine is a DC)

I reall love everything about the guitar but struggle with the pickups in a band setting. I am primarily a HB guy so that probably has as much to do with it than the actual pups.

I am going to try some TV Jones powertrons for grins, will update with results when and if they ever show up.

Great guitars!

I am currently running Fralin p90 low wind in neck and reg wind in bridge. I started with both low winds but the bridge could no “keep up” with the neck... very hard to balance out. (Mine is a DC)

I reall love everything about the guitar but struggle with the pickups in a band setting. I am primarily a HB guy so that probably has as much to do with it than the actual pups.

I am going to try some TV Jones powertrons for grins, will update with results when and if they ever show up.
Are these the noiseless/humless or vintage original?

I love my P90’s, but every set sounds different in every guitar. Lindy Fralin is always my first go-to. He had P-90’s in his personal guitar for a few years. If you use him, talk to him and ask for his recommendation. His tend to be the clearest.

Back