NGD - 2008 Al DiMeola Prism

shinksma

What? I get a title?
I've been stalking the Al DiMeola model on Reverb for a while, and this specific guitar for the last few months. It sold, and then became available again, so I snagged it at what I thought was a fair price. (There are some Al Ds on Reverb at stupid asking prices.)

eMkZ9B4.jpg

6OuA5ck.jpg

Sorry about the reflection from/of the bubble wrap - it is a bright day out there right now!

This photo shows the red tinge of the cocobolo fretboard - it is actually even redder under indirect light / indoors.

b5aXovW.jpg

I guess other than the cocobolo FB this is "just" a CU22 with a nice rainbow-ish finish.

Oh, and I like the unrealistic "prism" color scheme - to me, I see a green field near the ocean, with the setting sun just above the water. I wouldn't sniff if it was one of the ones in the proper physics-based rainbow order, though.

This particular staining did a nice job of not making the purple/violet too dark - I have seen some where the purple (and sometimes the green) look far too dark, almost black. Might be just the photography of those other guitars, though - mine looks even lighter in person (indoor lighting especially) than these photos depict.

Al has gone back to playing Gibsons from what I understand, revisiting his Elegant Gypsy material. He should try a SC594...

Anyone seen him recently? Does he use any PRSi for anything any more?

Nice grab always thought an AL-D would be cool to have !!!!
I believe he is playing a 594 at the moment also

My son and I went to see Al about 1 year ago and he played PRS exclusively the entire evening... I went to the meet and greet with him and ironically asked him if he had given up on his Gibsons (we got to watch the "sound check" which was really a band rehearsal - he was brutally breaking in a new drummer). We talked for a few minutes after the meet and greet (he was incredibly accommodating and nice) and he said he still plays both, not really preferring one over the other, more a matter of what mood he's in as he can dial in the sound/tone he wants from either now.

One of the hand outs was a flyer of "Al's guitars" - his keepers and it was pretty interesting looking at his collection. I kept it and have it in my guitar room... somewhere.

Last edited:
So here's a photo I just took under office lighting, and mildly edited it to brighten it up to match what I see with my own eyeballs.

RHvBTQ4.jpg

The purple/amethyst is much closer to "reality" in this image than the ones above.

I believe he is playing a 594 at the moment also
Ah, that's interesting to know.

My son and I went to see Al about 1 year ago and he played PRS exclusively the entire evening...

@WD 3D , that is a really cool story! If you ever dig out that flyer, please post a photo here!

I've been stalking the Al DiMeola model on Reverb for a while, and this specific guitar for the last few months. It sold, and then became available again, so I snagged it at what I thought was a fair price. (There are some Al Ds on Reverb at stupid asking prices.)

eMkZ9B4.jpg

6OuA5ck.jpg

Sorry about the reflection from/of the bubble wrap - it is a bright day out there right now!

This photo shows the red tinge of the cocobolo fretboard - it is actually even redder under indirect light / indoors.

b5aXovW.jpg

I guess other than the cocobolo FB this is "just" a CU22 with a nice rainbow-ish finish.

Oh, and I like the unrealistic "prism" color scheme - to me, I see a green field near the ocean, with the setting sun just above the water. I wouldn't sniff if it was one of the ones in the proper physics-based rainbow order, though.

This particular staining did a nice job of not making the purple/violet too dark - I have seen some where the purple (and sometimes the green) look far too dark, almost black. Might be just the photography of those other guitars, though - mine looks even lighter in person (indoor lighting especially) than these photos depict.

Al has gone back to playing Gibsons from what I understand, revisiting his Elegant Gypsy material. He should try a SC594...

I came close to buying that one (not according to my wife though) because as you mention, the price was reasonable and this particular one had a nicer blend of colors of the purple/violet spectrum. Glad it went to a good home! Oh yeah, dibs! :)

eMkZ9B4.jpg

6OuA5ck.jpg

b5aXovW.jpg

You got a really nice one. Some are way too dark at the bottom and just look like mud but your stain job looks fantastic.

I came close to buying that one (not according to my wife though) because as you mention, the price was reasonable and this particular one had a nicer blend of colors of the purple/violet spectrum. Glad it went to a good home! Oh yeah, dibs! :)
I will note that "dibs", should I ever, for the first time in my life, sell a guitar.

You got a really nice one. Some are way too dark at the bottom and just look like mud but your stain job looks fantastic.
Yeah, that's what made me pull the trigger - probably the nicest Al D prism finish I recall seeing available on the used market.

Played it a bunch tonight - plays really smooth, good tones from those "Al D" (57/08) pups. Coil tap sounds nice too. Neck carve is supposedly pattern regular, but seems to have a slight V feel on the treble side which makes it feel nice and comfy.

I guess we're not in Kansas anymore Shinksma

That is a fantastic find, Congrats enjoy riding the rainbow :)

Back