NGD: 2006 PRS Singlecut 10-top with Abalon Birds

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
After some research, it seems like this guitar is from the batch of guitars which emerged from the factory as soon as the G lawsuit got squashed for good. A very historical period of time. Here are some specs from the research I found online (below) but I've been told that I can look for something called a MODCAT under the pickup cover and then decipher the code as to exactly what went into it.

figured maple 10-top with its clean natural edge
Really thick and heavy single piece Mahogany body.
Abalone birds (dots are standard)
wide-fat profile mahogany single piece neck that joins the body at the 16th fret yet more comfortable to play than a 50's style "G" neck.
dark Rosewood fretboard
PRS Stop-Tail bridge
non-locking Kluson-style tuners
the two volume controls are the top two dials which kinda freaked me out.
no treble bleed cap on the volume controls (I don't know what that does.)
covered PRS 7 humbuckers

z1ol.jpg

w2hp.jpg

7enn.jpg

Last edited:
A treble bleed is a resistor placed between the positive and the negative poles on a volume pot that allows the treble to bleed through when you roll the volume down. With out that when you roll off the volume you start to lose treble and the mids and lows are more prominet.

Those birds are mother of pearl, not abalone, abalone has a more greenish color, Still an awesome guitar with awesome inlays.

These new photos were taken in direct sunlight so the colors are over exaggerated.
The inlay looks white in the photos but definitely abalone green swirl in more normal light.
I have other guitars which have real Mother of Pearl inlay (not simulated) so I do have an accurate point of reference.
Also, the cherry is a lot richer looking (in normal light) and the center is more of an orange (which I like) than a typical light Amber or yellow color.
Overall, I like the look of this particular Cherry Sunburst which (to me) looks quite a bit different than the usual Cherry Sunburst.

Back