NGD 2006 Custom 22 10 Top

Mvenuti1980

My first core model! Was able to negotiate a good price on this, so I upgraded from my CE24 to this 2006 Custom 22 10 Top in Matteo Blue. I’ve always liked quilt more than flame, and this top does not disappoint! Once I got past the beauty of the top I got to playing this guitar and it is amazing! It has plenty of battle scars, and I can see why, this must have been someone’s number one! The CE had a pattern thin neck and it was a little to small for me, this one has a wide fat, and after 5 minutes of adjustment it felt just right! I had never heard the Dragon II pups before, and they are just right for me. I mostly play hard rock and metal, and these work well for that. The rotary knob is a bit funky, but I really dig the in between sounds. I picked up the 6 way toggle switch from TV Jones, and I think that will make it a bit easier to switch pup settings while playing. All in all, I’m in love with this guitar!

FNnm6Cv.jpg

JpNYly7.jpg

Nice!
You went the same route that I did - CE24 —> Cu22.
I found out that a 22 fret, WF, Stoptail, set necked PRS worked better for me rather than a 24 fret, WT, trem, bolt on neck did. :)

I had never heard the Dragon II pups before, and they are just right for me.
I love me some D2s. They don't get much as much love as some other offerings from PRS, but They are my go to. (Even in comparison to the D1s). Custom 22 is my favorite (Though, I don't think I have seen any PRS guitar that I thought "sucked"). You will have some fun with that guitar.

I do prefer the three way toggle with taps to the 5 way rotary. Just more intuative for me. But that is all preference. Nice score.

From my playing so far, this a real contender to become my #1. There is something magical about. I’m happy to have found a 22, because I think it makes a giant difference in the sound of the neck pickup. It becomes a lot warmer on a 22 fret guitar, plus coming from Les Pauls it just makes sense to me. This bridge is keeping up nicely with my Floyds! The rotary switch has some awesome sounds, but it is a bit hard to switch when playing. I think the set up it is getting tomorrow plus the 6 way toggle should make a big difference. I can really see why someone played the cr@p out of this guitar!!! I also have a maple Silver Sky that should arrive this week, so we’ll see where that lands in line up!

I love me some D2s. They don't get much as much love as some other offerings from PRS, but They are my go to. (Even in comparison to the D1s). Custom 22 is my favorite (Though, I don't think I have seen any PRS guitar that I thought "sucked"). You will have some fun with that guitar.

I do prefer the three way toggle with taps to the 5 way rotary. Just more intuative for me. But that is all preference. Nice score.
I searched around the site and noticed that there was no love for the DIIs! I’d like to try a set of originals too!

I searched around the site and noticed that there was no love for the DIIs! I’d like to try a set of originals too!
I will be honest with you. If I were to be a better player, I might look for something different out of my pups. BUT, there is mild, natural compression that happens with the D2s that makes my somewhat erratic picking and fretting not quite as all over the place as something more open might exaggerate. BUT, they are still open enough that when I play clean, with just a bit of reverb and some chorus, they get quite bell like. Everyone has different needs out of what they play. The D2s on a CU22 just does it for me.

Back