NGD: 2001 CU22 Soapbar....it's love!

Nick Gardiner

Always liked P90s, especially in Les Paul Jrs etc.

A very interesting guitar came up last week. A 1989 Employee model, CU24 gold top with P90s, sweet switch and a 3 way toggle. Great guitar. I played it one day, gave it a day to think as wasn't cheap and the next day it was gone.

Anyway, after a few drinks and a look on local auction site this popped up and I pulled the trigger. Plain non-ten top and dots, not birds but I think it suits it and I like the character of the flame top. Anyway, a 2001 Cu22 Soapbar in Black Cherry, one of my favourite colors.

I got a bit worried at one point as I hadn't heard from the seller in 48 hours after paying. It arrived this afternoon suddenly without warning just as I was about to go out..argh... . I opened the case and the trem arm and truss rod adjuster were clanking round in side the case on top of the guitar, luckily no damage!

It was in a bit of a state to say the least! Strings looked years old, completely rusted, the seller said he hadn't really played since buying it new so was in good condition...hmmm... strings also wrapped around the phase 1 tuner wing nuts about 10 times (???). With 9.5 strings tuned to pitch the trem was way up, he obviously tunes down. So complete clean up and set up and now looks like new with actually no scratches or dings under all that gunk! All case candy too.

I had never played one of these before. I absolutely love it. Not a 10 top but nice character to it with wavy back grain. Neck is nice and flamey too an obviously very hard maple. I absolutely love the tones you get out of this! The bridge is super powerful but soulful, I really like the in between sounds. I really don't need a strat or tele with this. My Suhr Carve top Knopfler spec is in trouble!! This has real sparkle and natural tone. I'm going to have a lot of fun! I know straight away if a guitar is to stay or not and this is not going anywhere!! I heard these first run Soapbar CU22s were special!

Anyway...enough babble...pics!

DSCF0265_zpsjjurtgcf.jpg

DSCF0262_zpstsaxjhs5.jpg

DSCF0263_zpspagehza0.jpg

DSCF0267_zpsdezmqwoa.jpg

DSCF0264_zpsqmzeaxif.jpg

Love her Nick! SO lucky that there was no damage from the trem arm floating around. Some people are buttheads lol!

I really dig the top on that one. Been wanting one for awhile now myself (like pretty much everything else). A most excellent adoption...

It is such a unique model. Not traditional at all but really has its place. I could pretty much play anything on this. I am very impressed, and with all the amazing guitars I get to play in Tokyo that is saying something!

Hollowbody needed next!

Congrats!
I've got a couple of triple-90 guitars, and I absolutley LOVE that configuration!

Rock that sucker!
I really don't need a strat or tele with this! I love the in-between sounds! Loads of power here too.

Man what a great guitar, I've been eye balling one for a wile. I really want to try one out one of these days. Congrats on your new guitar !

Back