NGD 1998 CE24!! ...and some questions too

vp101

Hey All,

This is my first post here. I have been a fan of PRS guitars for quite a while now and always wanted to own one. I've finally pulled the trigger on a 1998 CE24. The guitar has been with me for a few weeks now and I am loving it. I truly understand just why people have said that this is one of those guitars that can cover a lot of ground - amazing variety of tones, great playability, and a trem that is super smooth!

I have two questions about this guitar:
  1. Any tips on handling and using the old wing tuners? I have been able to restring my guitar without any hassles, but just wanted to know if there are any do's or don'ts in this area
  2. Also, while I have nothing against the old speed knobs, I really love the look and feel of the new lampshade knobs used on the Maryland made guitars. Are the lampshade knobs a drop in replacement for the speed knobs? Will the fit in the recessed routing for the knobs that's on the CE24?
I wish I could post photos, but apparently I need to have a minimum of three posts before I can post links (And I haven't been able to find any other way of posting images). If there's an alternative, please let me know. I'd love to share photos of my guitar with all of you.

Cheers!

Congrats! I don't see any pics of said PRS guitar....so...how'd you get winged tuners on a Hello Kitty guitar??!!?:p

Any tips on handling and using the old wing tuners? I have been able to restring my guitar without any hassles, but just wanted to know if there are any do's or don'ts in this area

If you ever remove them, send them either to Sergio or me!

Welcome vp101. Congratulations.

Don’t mind Tooth, he’s been eating the blue smarties again!;)

He likes blue!:D

Sweet tooth!:p

Congrats man! My CEs (see sig) are my go to stage guitars currently due to how versatile they are. Being in a cover band, they are true work horses that can cover a LOT of ground.

As for the tuners, read the instructions and watch the video above.

Core knobs are drop in replacements.

Edit - on second though, the shaft for the 5 way is smaller than the tone and volume pots. I need to look up the spec but I know this first hand from my Blazing Copper CE.

Congrats! I don't see any pics of said PRS guitar....so...how'd you get winged tuners on a Hello Kitty guitar??!!?:p

haha, I did try to upload a few photos of my guitar, but there's some issue with the manner in which I am doing this. Any advice on uploading photos?

If you ever remove them, send them either to Sergio or me!

Consider it done!

Congrats man! My CEs (see sig) are my go to stage guitars currently due to how versatile they are. Being in a cover band, they are true work horses that can cover a LOT of ground.

As for the tuners, read the instructions and watch the video above.

Core knobs are drop in replacements.

Edit - on second though, the shaft for the 5 way is smaller than the tone and volume pots. I need to look up the spec but I know this first hand from my Blazing Copper CE.

Thanks for that - just curious though. Since the shaft is smaller, is there a special kind of knob I need to get from PRS?

Hey All,

This is my first post here. I have been a fan of PRS guitars for quite a while now and always wanted to own one. I've finally pulled the trigger on a 1998 CE24. The guitar has been with me for a few weeks now and I am loving it. I truly understand just why people have said that this is one of those guitars that can cover a lot of ground - amazing variety of tones, great playability, and a trem that is super smooth!

I have two questions about this guitar:
  1. Any tips on handling and using the old wing tuners? I have been able to restring my guitar without any hassles, but just wanted to know if there are any do's or don'ts in this area
Cheers!

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing some pics!

I actually have a 1998 CE24 too - it was my first PRS as well, and essentially my main electric for a decade. I loved it from the moment I first plugged it in at the store, and was just blown away by every aspect, and attention to detail compared to anything I’d played up until that time.

And I played the snot out of that thing, never thought once about mods, pup replacement, etc... It really is a versatile guitar and covered F and G grounds so well, that I could use it for everything in long sets of covers. GAS didn’t hit me until later, when I realized it needed new frets, and some general work.

Once I had to finally get serious work done, I started looking at the newer PRS models and that led me down the path of being a regular forum member here, always eyeing the latest and the greatest from Paul & Co. So, beware! it can happen to you too ;)

In many ways I envy having that attitude back then: this is my ONE perfect guitar. No wondering whether different pickups or wiring options might improve things, haha. Oh, to be young and naive again.

Sorry, I digress - my one tip on the wing tuners is be careful of sharp string ends on adjacent strings when you have to press hard on the wing to unlock it. I remember drawing blood a couple times on a dark stage. But I’m a klutz;) Otherwise, like other locking tuners, just pull the string through as tight as you can before you lock it.

1998’s Rule!! ENJOY!!

Back