NGD: 1997 CU22 / Regular neck carve?

TFC

That guitar really tied the room together
I just picked up a stoptail 1997 Custom 22 online. The seller said he was 99% sure it was not a Wide/Fat based on his experience with W/F necks, but there is no paperwork. So, I assumed it was Wide/Thin. Now that I have it in my hands, however, it feels very similar to my standard/regular necks. But as far as I can tell, Custom 22s only came in W/F or W/T. If it is a Wide/Fat then it's a pretty small one. Either way, it fits me well, so I'm fine with it. I've got an email in to PRS customer service to see if they have info on in based on the serial number. I'll report back what they say if they have info that far back and will take a couple of pics once I hear from them [EDIT - pics below].

In the meantime, does anyone have or has anyone seen a Regular/Standard neck carve on a '90s core Custom 22?

Last edited:
Being that there is only 1/32" difference ( width ) between the necks and they are hand sanded.
But a look under the pickup at the ModCat will give you all the info

No MODCAT, but handwritten "CU22FWF". Not sure what the first "F" is for but pretty sure the "WF" = Wide/Fat.

Here's one of the seller's photos of the guitar:

BdtxAQO.jpg

1997 Custom 22 in Scarlet Red with Dragon I pickups. I think this is my first guitar with Dragons. Curious to see how I like them. When I started changing the strings I realized I totally forgot how the winged tuners work. I watched a video and managed to change them quickly. I have to admit I'm pretty proud of my first winged tuner Christmas tree attempt in almost a decade. Not perfect, but far from horrible. Time will tell if I keep the wings in or replace them with Phase IIs.

7jse8Qp.jpg

My Custom 24 comes up in the Modcat as Wide/Fat-Standard. It’s skinnier at the nut than the wide/fat is and it’s a little slimmer while still not being thin.

Reactions: TFC
Nice looking guitar and seems you got a great neck profile. Though I am very sorry you got a set of wing tuners. What did you do against nature. Karma is something else. I like those tuners about as much as I like beets. If you have it out for a PRS player, send them a set of wing tuners. I could go on about wing tuners if you wish:) Bet the guitar feels great though. Something about the older models.

Reactions: TFC
Nice looking guitar and seems you got a great neck profile. Though I am very sorry you got a set of wing tuners. What did you do against nature. Karma is something else. I like those tuners about as much as I like beets. If you have it out for a PRS player, send them a set of wing tuners. I could go on about wing tuners if you wish:) Bet the guitar feels great though. Something about the older models.
Show us where the bad tuner touched you, Sammy…:rolleyes::p:D

I totally love wing tuners. Great innovation and I have no problem with tuning stability. BTW, if needed, you could always buy new collar parts at John Manns Guitar Vault. ;):p

Thanks, everyone.

I totally love wing tuners. Great innovation and I have no problem with tuning stability.

I've always replaced them in the past but I'm going to give these a shot for a while. After watching the video to remind myself of how they work, they are actually kind of elegant in how quickly you can release and replace strings. They key for me though is remembering what to do 3 months down the line when I go to change the strings again.

The key for me though is remembering what to do 3 months down the line when I go to change the strings again.

Oh, that's an easy one. You call yourself a frigging moron for not bookmarking that page so now you have to search for it again.

I do the same thing w/truss rods.

And I'll do it w/winged tuners when it's time to change the strings on my old CU24.

Oh, that's an easy one. You call yourself a frigging moron for not bookmarking that page so now you have to search for it again.
I'm made aware of my friggin moron-ness enough already. For me, having to do research to learn how to change my strings is one small step away from having to go to Guitar Center to have my guitar tuned. My standards for musical competency are kinda low, but I still have them. So, the future will tell if my self-esteem can handle these tuners or not...

Back