NGD: 1997 CU22 / Regular neck carve?

I totally love wing tuners. Great innovation and I have no problem with tuning stability. BTW, if needed, you could always buy new collar parts at John Manns Guitar Vault. ;):p

Nah, you have have those tuners and all the beets you can eat. I can handle complicated processes at work, but those tuners gave me a headache.

Thanks, everyone.

I've always replaced them in the past but I'm going to give these a shot for a while. After watching the video to remind myself of how they work, they are actually kind of elegant in how quickly you can release and replace strings. They key for me though is remembering what to do 3 months down the line when I go to change the strings again.
Yes, there are great videos out there. The key is to keep the slot channel in the right spot and it’s all automatic. To keep the wings in the right position for the B and the high Estring pull it very tight. Don’t forget to push your wings with your thumb to snug it… follow instruction videos if you’re not familiar.

Yes, there are great videos out there. The key is to keep the slot channel in the right spot and it’s all automatic. To keep the wings in the right position for the B and the high Estring pull it very tight. Don’t forget to push your wings with your thumb to snug it… follow instruction videos if you’re not familiar.
Word. For. Word.
Bravo!

Nice! My first PRS is a ‘96 CU22. Wish I had requested wide fat in retrospect, but I just went off advice by someone since I didn’t know much at the time. Still a great guitar that I still have!

OP here. I wanted to follow up now that I've had a chance to get to know the guitar better. I had a couple of gigs this weekend and I brought it as a backup. I had planned to play it for a set or two just to see how I liked it but ended up playing it the entire night for both gigs.

I really like the Dragon I pickups. They're very different from the 57/08s and Narrowfields that I usually play. The bridge has tons of output which helps with sustain and hides some of my less than optimal technique. And I can get a really nice piano-like cleaninsh tone from the neck with the volume rolled down. The split sounds from the rotary are really good too. Neither pickup is anywhere near as touch sensitive or capable of the subtleties of the 57/08s or Narrowfields, but the sounds I do get I like a lot. Very useful for the rock/pop stuff I play.

The winged tuners are a different story. They locked the strings well and were stable. However I was reminded why I've replaced them in the past. There is too much play in the gears. Turning the key a little bit does nothing and then it overshoots the pitch. Tuning takes 3 times as long as it should as I go back and forth. So, these will probably come off and be replaced by Phase IIs or something similar.

Overall though, it's a killer guitar. The wrap stop tail and Dragons are a great combo.

Back