NGD 1992 EG II HSH

dwrockdoctor

Here is my new girl, an EG II HSH in Pearl White. Scored for $600 USD (about $900 AUD for me) with original PRS case. Being 1992 it has a one piece Mil-Com trem and wing tuners with the Schaller logo on the back and smaller PRS logo on the headstock. One caveat, the dreaded neck pocket cracking.

Hard to tell if it's just finish or if it runs into the wood structurally too. No creaking on cracking noises when I yank on the neck though the pitch does dive down a quarter step when moved from normal playing position to facing with strings down to the ground. Doesn't really pose a problem when played in normal playing position and I don't tend to be heavy handed with my left hand pushing or pulling the neck.

The neck on this beast is wonderful, a little skinnier than the wide fat profile I'm used to on my CE's with maybe a little more meat and depth as well, I actually prefer this one. Did EG's sometimes come with a regular neck profile, the measurement I took at the nut certainly lines up with that spec for a regular profile?

I played it at a gig last night, plays like a dream, it felt like I was playing 10% above my usual standard, I have always used my fender strat (50's v neck and 7.25" radius) at gigs for the past 7 years and while set up well, it doesn't hold a candle for ease of playability, best I've played in ages. Trem stays in tune perfectly. Basically all the tone of a strat with the amazing quality and playability of a PRS.

I'm going to get rid of the neck HFS and sell it to offset the cost even more and get a tortoise shell pickguard made to accommodate a neck single coil. The HFS taps as good as a humbucker can but is still kinda dark going from that to all the true single coil positions that include the middle fralin single. In between sounds in position 2 and 4 sound wonderful.

The pearl white looks great under light going between blue and purplish depending on the light.

I may take the guitar to a luthier friend to wick some glue into the neck pocket cracks in case they do happen to be deeper into the wood for stability's sake. I also have a swamp ash body blank already rough cut to PRS shape that I need to make so could be cool to put the neck across to that maybe down the track.

Cheers guys. I'm pretty stoked, even with the cracking around the neck I feel like it was a good score! Most EG's on reverb are around $1200-1500 USD. This one kept sitting there for ages with the price slowly creeping down and the condition went from excellent to good as the price dropped. Most people must've been scared by the neck pocket. Once it got lower still I offered $600 and got it! I can always get the cracks looked at and repaired. It plays fine and seems to be holding up fine for now. When I popped the neck off I couldn't see any cracking in the wood but that can be kinda hard to diagnose too.

Are EG's known for having shaky pitch wavering from the neck joint regardless of if theres any cracking around the neck pocket or not anyway?

I know Gibson SG's have a similar problem. My CE's do it to a certain extent to around an eighth of a tone but this EG dives a quarter tone when tilted face down towards the ground. Again, it isn't really a problem when played in normal playing position standing up or sitting.

On a different note, I own two PRS's from the first factory now and both necks feel so much better than my post 95 CE's. I love the neck on this EG and the wide thin on my 94 CE is a close second for feel good playability.

Cheers guys. I'm pretty stoked, even with the cracking around the neck I feel like it was a good score! Most EG's on reverb are around $1200-1500 USD. This one kept sitting there for ages with the price slowly creeping down and the condition went from excellent to good as the price dropped. Most people must've been scared by the neck pocket. Once it got lower still I offered $600 and got it! I can always get the cracks looked at and repaired. It plays fine and seems to be holding up fine for now. When I popped the neck off I couldn't see any cracking in the wood but that can be kinda hard to diagnose too.

Are EG's known for having shaky pitch wavering from the neck joint regardless of if theres any cracking around the neck pocket or not anyway?

I know Gibson SG's have a similar problem. My CE's do it to a certain extent to around an eighth of a tone but this EG dives a quarter tone when tilted face down towards the ground. Again, it isn't really a problem when played in normal playing position standing up or sitting.

On a different note, I own two PRS's from the first factory now and both necks feel so much better than my post 95 CE's. I love the neck on this EG and the wide thin on my 94 CE is a close second for feel good playability.

I Just picked up a used EG II HSH in tobaco burst and was a bit curious about a hairline fracture by the cornor of the next pocket, it doesn't seem to have compromised the wood though. The guitar sounds great and it has excellent playability... most comfortable guitar i ever played.

I Just picked up a used EG II HSH in tobaco burst and was a bit curious about a hairline fracture by the cornor of the next pocket, it doesn't seem to have compromised the wood though. The guitar sounds great and it has excellent playability... most comfortable guitar i ever played.
Nice catch. I would watch the crack to see if it expands, but mostly not worry about it.
Welcome to the forum.

Sweet score!

Back